PDA

View Full Version : What media do you use in your blast cabnet!

gearheads78
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Just curious what everyone likes the best. I want to find what cuts the fastest and removes rust but does little to know damage to the base metal?

Dr.Corvette
12-08-2008, 09:48 AM
I have 3 blasting cabinets. 1 with aluminum oxide for really rusty items. Aluminum oxide cuts quickly but can be hard on some parts. I use this mainly for heavy steel or cast iron parts such as wheels and exhaust manifolds.
1 with glass beads. This is the most used cabinet. Glass beads are a good for lightly rusted/more delicate items such as aluminum.
The last cabinet has walnut shells. This one is for delicate items you don't want to destroy the finish on.
Keep in mind that the air pressure you blast at will also effect you results.

BonzoHansen
12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
What he said, although I've never used walnut shells. Along with air pressure I have found tip selection (or tip wear) also plays a role in cut.

gearheads78
12-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I will be useing it for heavy steel and cast mostly. Thinner brackets and aluminum on every once in a while. I have beed using sand in a pressure blaster I have always used outside for everything but now I have a nice big cabnet inside the shop I will b using it often.

I see one company that offers a blend of aluminum oxide/ glass beads. They say its one the thier best sellers since they came out with it. Any one else tried it? I only have the room and $$ for one cabnet. Just trying to get the best use out of it.

gkring
12-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I switch back and forth as needed. Hopefully you have a good cabinet with a trap door on the bottom. I just dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and seal it with a lid when I swap between the two medias. A fine grit aluminum oxide for the majority of stuff and every once in a while I use a real fine glass bead. The glass beads I only use to "dust off" flash rust on parts or maybe clean aluminum I don't plan on painting. Anything I plan on painting I can get away with the aluminum oxide. Invest in a good dust collector to keep the cabinet clear. I have cheaped out and use an old shop vac, but they are not known to last very long in that useage.

jackfrost
12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I have cheaped out and use an old shop vac, but they are not known to last very long in that useage.

why?

gkring
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I have been told they are made to suck dirt, not dust. They use the air they are drawing in to cool off the motor. So when you are doing a 20-30 minute blast session it is alot longer than most cheap vacs were designed to be used nonstop plus you are letting very fine dust particles into the motor. maybe just a selling tool from the guys selling dust collectors? My little 5 HP vac barely keeps up with my cabinet on the longer sessions. I am going to have to play with the fresh air vent on back to see if it won't pull a little better. I have killed at least one small shop vac using it on a cabinet, but it was old anyway. I'll have to wait and see how long this latest one lasts. I'll come across a deal on a dust collector one day and switch over.

TonyL
12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
i use glass beads, in a snap-on cabinet. I gotta say, I HATE that it loses it's prime all the time and I have to keep shaking the heck outta the cabinet. I need to get that looked at.

gearheads78
12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I have been told they are made to suck dirt, not dust. They use the air they are drawing in to cool off the motor. So when you are doing a 20-30 minute blast session it is alot longer than most cheap vacs were designed to be used nonstop plus you are letting very fine dust particles into the motor. maybe just a selling tool from the guys selling dust collectors? My little 5 HP vac barely keeps up with my cabinet on the longer sessions. I am going to have to play with the fresh air vent on back to see if it won't pull a little better. I have killed at least one small shop vac using it on a cabinet, but it was old anyway. I'll have to wait and see how long this latest one lasts. I'll come across a deal on a dust collector one day and switch over.

Don't have to worry about the vacuume. Been looking for a few months at new blasters on line. The ones I wanted were apox 1200.00 plus freight. Started watching for a used one and scored. Some days I really love Craigslist:) My new(to me) Snap On blaster has 2 built in motors with large catch bags and cost me less than 1/2 of a new one I was looking at and less than 25% of what this one cost new. I won't know what not will be like not to have to drag hose and my baster out back every time I want to clean something up.

rubadub
12-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I use this for all of my blasting, pressureized pot, siphon and bead blaster. Also use supplied air when ever I'm around it.

Its about $7 a hundred lbs.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Rob