PDA

View Full Version : Need FI advice - ZZ502

TX79Z28
12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi guys! New to the forum, I normally hang out at NastyZ28.com. I have a 79 Z28, and I plan on going with a GMPP ZZ502. My dilemma is this: I am undecided between the Ram Jet 502, or getting the 502 long block and going with the Mass-Flo FI set up. I want to keep my stock hood, which I know will not be possible with the Ram Jet, and I have heard a lot of issues with the reliability of the RJ setup. The Mass Flo system does not have the "wow" factor of the RJ, but it will let me keep my stock hood, and it SHOULD be more reliable. Anyone run either one of these systems on a BBC (502 in particular) and have some input? The Mass Flo system SEEMS to be truly "plug and play" which is what I am looking for. I will never race the car, so I don't care about getting the most power or 10th off the ET, I am looking to have a reliable weekend "toy" with gobs of low-mid range torque.

regalman4925
12-07-2008, 12:52 PM
i have not messed with big block injection setups but i have done a crap load of research on sbc efi setups. if you can do mass air flow on them then in my opinion i will, they are much more accepting of mods done on the motor. the map sensor setups have to be reprogrammed pretty much everytime anything on the motor is changed such as a cam, heads, exhaust.... to me i think mass air flow is a better option for people that are not racing and change their motors allot like i do. i am surpised to hear that people have had so many issues with the ram jet setups.... keeping a stock hood may really be worth the maf option also

TX79Z28
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
i have not messed with big block injection setups but i have done a crap load of research on sbc efi setups. if you can do mass air flow on them then in my opinion i will, they are much more accepting of mods done on the motor. the map sensor setups have to be reprogrammed pretty much everytime anything on the motor is changed such as a cam, heads, exhaust.... to me i think mass air flow is a better option for people that are not racing and change their motors allot like i do. i am surpised to hear that people have had so many issues with the ram jet setups.... keeping a stock hood may really be worth the maf option also

Thank you Regalman, I was thinking along those same lines, I guess I needed some backup on my thinking! Now, after more surfing, I am almost going back to my LS3 swap idea. I talk about this so much that my girlfriend has memorized some of the GM part numbers and HP and TQ specs for some of the engines I am looking at.....kind of scary! LOL

MonzaRacer
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Pick your intake setup and looking into Megasquirt at www.megasquirt.com. Very easy to set up and dial in if you read the instructions and if you actually build your own and burn something out you can fix it your self.
Installed several and love the open source.