PDA

View Full Version : Suspension travel HELP!

MuscleRodz
08-21-2004, 07:42 PM
How much suspension travel do you guys have on your 67-68 Camaros and how high does your tire set in your wheel opening (ie tucked, 1" gap, etc.). I am trying to set my ride height and I want the tire flush with top of wheel opening, running 315/35/17 tire, and I measure less than 3" travel which I don't like. Now, I have made new rear rails but they are the same shape as originals just pulled in. I don't have a problem "C" notching my rails but I am also limited by the outer wheel house that will probably need modified as well. Am I missing something or is everybody rubbing when your hard into corners. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike :banghead:

baz67
08-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Mike if you are talking 3" of susp. travel in bump, do not worry. Everyone that lowers the ride height has the same travel with no problems. Just make sure the spring rate is high enough so it does not bounce around like a rubber ball.
Brian

parsonsj
08-22-2004, 05:20 AM
Mike, in an ideal situation, you want a minimum of 3" of bump travel and 2" of rebound from ride height. Especially in back. If you don't have that much travel, then you have two choices: stiffen the springs to reduce travel for the same bumps or turn, or move the metal. Brian is right, most folks opt for the first solution.

I opted for the second, and used small 32" "drag racing" wheeltubs in the back. I have plenty of room for bump travel and will have lots of options with ride height and spring rates. But it's a lot of work for an inch of travel.

jp

MuscleRodz
08-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I will be running coilovers out back, no leafs. I don't want the coil springs set so tight it rides rough. If the consensus is 3" travel will be plenty then I won't worry as much. I have also thought about going to 18's out back which would be taller tire, so more suspension travel if I locate the tire in the same place rather than tuck it, but I think I might sacrificing ride quality again.

Mike