PDA

View Full Version : Budget 67 Chevelle pro-tour build?

80superbu
11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Is there even such a thing? I was getting some prices together last night for a first time pro-tour build. WOW! I'm going to need some input on "how would you build it". Motor and trans is LSx type w/6 speed. Just looking for suspension and brake ideas. I don't plan to autocross it but do plan to drive it to shows, local and far. Want it lowered 1-3" more than stock height.

I don't make 100g's+ a year so keep it simple

Thoughts?

shep
11-23-2008, 08:09 PM
SC&C stage II + front with stock spindles or stage II with ATS spindles. Go with the springs and shocks Marcus recommends. C5 or C6 brake kit from touring classics or Kore3 front and rear. You could also piece together the brakes from ebay and such but it will probably be a wash cost wise in the end. Use LS1 f-body rear brake set up and swap the caliper with the C5 or C6 caliper to match what ever you are running on the front. For the front turn down a set of drum hubs to fit inside the C5 or C6 rotor. Get the proper adapter bracket from Kore3 and find a set or calipers on ebay either in good shape or to use as cores. Kore3 also sells calipers and parts individually.

65MALI
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Similar to what shep said.Im in the same boat. I dont make alot of $.Heres what I have so far, c6 brakes, front & back, ATS short spindle/ steering arm, Kore3 hardware kit,With Flexcore lines.bilstein shocks,Jeep GC steering box/with Lee install kit,ENERGY Bushing body mount kit,cut big block springs, stock swaybar,undecide on S&CC Stage 2 or poly bushing kit front and back, and BMW 18" m3 wheels with SKULTE Hubcentric adapters.Highly recommend the ATS spindle.I have less than $2k into my arsenal.Ive yet to install my parts are just sittin collecting dust.Been meaning to bring my Velle to MRQUICK'S shop, but Im currently going through tough times.Sorry Vince Ill holler as soon as I can.

nvmyss
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't go with the poly bushings, they will cause binding.
Go with del-luthm (not sure on the spelling) up front and spherical in the rear.

86Cutlass383SR
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Del-A-Lum - only available from Global West. I agree 100% on poly binding. They did on my 69 Camaro. But then mine were installed over 20 years ago and didn't ever have a grease fitting in them. I do love the Del-A-Lum bushing alot more. The suspension actually works with these. With my poly bushings there was hardly any suspension movement. That was just my experience with them though, others may disagree.

HWYSTR
11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Budget would be to do a F/B-body spindle swap and aftermarket upper arms. You could gt away with factory uppers, offset shafts, and a stack of shims, but not suggested. Guess you could shorten some factory arms, but I personally would never trust a weld in that area. Brakes you could do like the 1LE swap, or use KORE3 brackets, boneyard or swap meet the other hard parts. You can get a drop by trimming your existing springs.

65MALI - Shoot, you're already there! What do you mean you're on a budget!?! Heh-heh!

I too agree with mvmyss & 86Cutlass383SR, poly bushings blow. If you can't afford the spherical/bearing type, than I would say poly over factory rubber, and polish contact points, make grooves, and add grease fiitings, greasing the hesk out of it. On a budget, you could use the stock car solid bushings, look to SCP (stock car products) as a source.

Failed projects are all over the place, and if you take your time, you can find stuff for a song. Time is the issue.

Derek69SS
12-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Del-A-Lum - only available from Global West.The "Del-Alum" name is exclusive to GW, but delrin bushing construction is not. There are a lot of sources for teflon or Delrin bushings, although GWs are some of the better ones due to their teflon thrust-washers, which a lot of the cheaper (stock car type) delrin bushings do not have.

Budget would be to do a F/B-body spindle swap and aftermarket upper arms.I wouldn't recommend them... the steer arm is too long and low, causing bumpsteer problems (double that of factory), slowed turning ratio, wider turning radius, and poor ackermann. The best value on the market is SC&C's Stage II+ with tall balljoints and adjustable SPC upper arms. The tall balljoints add effective height to the stock spindle, and also moves the stock steer arm upward about 1/2" which reduces factory bumpsteer by ~85%, and does not negatively effect the turning radius, ratio, or ackermann.

gearheads78
12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
KORE3 C5/C6 Front and LS1 rear for brakes and SC&C StageII + with stock spindles is what I am doing in my budget build. Great bang for the buck.

Twentyover
12-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe some tall spindles from Coleman or Stock Car Products- they have bolt on ateering arms.

There was one guy (onrils.com, IIRC- website no longer exists) using those before advent of ATS spindles

80superbu
12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
haha...I parted out a 2001 SS Camaro. Basically gave the rear brakes away...doh!

gearheads78
12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Did the same thing more than once. When I needed a set I could not find anyone quite a generous.

zbugger
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
... I don't plan to autocross it but do plan to drive it to shows, local and far. Want it lowered 1-3" more than stock height.

I don't make 100g's+ a year so keep it simple

Keep it simple. Hotchkis TVS kit will do you very well and includes everything you need. If you want to go further, you can get the control arms and the ATS spindles. I will say this though.... The ATS spindles are INSANELY worth the money. A before and after drive of a car that had them installed made them the best thing since sliced bread. Now there are others that make similar parts, but these are the one's I'd go with on a budget. Like I said, you can upgrade later and as you go on with the build. As for brakes, I say go with Touring Classics. Great price and when you do go with a different spindle they should/will bolt right on to the new parts.

sinned
12-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Maybe some tall spindles from Coleman or Stock Car Products- they have bolt on ateering arms.

There was one guy (onrils.com, IIRC- website no longer exists) using those before advent of ATS spindles

Yeah, don't go the SCP spindle route. Way too much fab work and specialized parts for a most folks. Spend an extra couple bucks and hook up a pair of ATS uprights. Stay the hell away from the F/B spindles. It was onrails.com. Long gone though.