PDA

View Full Version : ""Friends" and "Visitor Messages" do we need this?

David Pozzi
11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't see the big value in the whole "friends" option, I guess it's a way we can show others who our friends are but it seems a big waste of time to solicit friends, and for others to approve.

Are their benefits I'm missing in all this???

The other issue is Vistior Messages. On Team Camaro I had people asking me tech questions in the visitor message section! I already get Emails, and Private Messages, why would I want to open a third way to do the same thing? I think the Visitor Message area is intended for people to comment on me or my personal area info, but no one has used it for that anyway, it seems useles and confusing.

I found out I can turn off the Vistior Messages option via my User control Panel so I did.

Just wondering if others are a bit overwhelmed by all the forum features we have these days. I just tend to use the forum, with occasional PM's and Emails.

David

Jim Nilsen
11-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't see the big value in the whole "friends" option, I guess it's a way we can show others who our friends are but it seems a big waste of time to solicit friends, and for others to approve.

Are their benefits I'm missing in all this???

The other issue is Vistior Messages. On Team Camaro I had people asking me tech questions in the visitor message section! I already get Emails, and Private Messages, why would I want to open a third way to do the same thing? I think the Visitor Message area is intended for people to comment on me or my personal area info, but no one has used it for that anyway, it seems useles and confusing.

I found out I can turn off the Vistior Messages option via my User control Panel so I did.

Just wondering if others are a bit overwhelmed by all the forum features we have these days. I just tend to use the forum, with occasional PM's and Emails.

David

I have to agree with you Dave. it needs to be used for the right reasons and it is probably a good thing. There are questions that you would ask a true friend and you might not want everyone to know about it and the friends option would be good. But in reality I get on the phone or go to my personal email and do that with my true friends.

It almost makes it like E Harmony.com or something and that is not the kind of friend I want here :lol:

I will have to say that to be recognized by some here as a friend does make me feel very honored to be considered like that.

It's like the difference of having your real name as your screen name or having an alias. It's cool to have both if you like to have a certain kind of fun like having your car stolen.:lmao:

thedugan
11-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Didn't even know we had it

Larry Callahan
11-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I turned some stuff off and I will do that as well.

David Pozzi
11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I saw it first over at camaros.net after an upgrade. It only confused me.

Larry Callahan
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I think I got rid of it.