PDA

View Full Version : Billet Gas Cap for Camaros!! NEW INFO!!!

Pages : [1] 2

bret
11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
As of November 6, 2008 Precision Coachworks [a division of Air Ride Technologies] has taken over the Billet Camaro Gas Cap project from Larry Callahan at Pro-Tour.com. Larry had done the design and development work on this product over the past couple of years but had recently gotten stalled on actually getting this product to market. We will now be finishing the project and bringing it to market. This is the same unit that is being used on the Air Ride Technologies Velocity Camaro and Steve Rupp’s Bad Penny Camaro.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
The details are:<o:p></o:p>

Direct fit installation for 67 and 68 Camaro – no modifications necessary<o:p></o:p>
Billet aluminum construction<o:p></o:p>
OEM quality fit and sealing<o:p></o:p>
Clear anodized finish for lasting beauty<o:p></o:p>
Locking cap with 2 keys included<o:p></o:p>
Includes all necessary hoses, clamps, and fasteners – nothing else needed for installation<o:p></o:p>
This design is also highly adaptable to custom installations<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
Pricing will be at $250

I know you guys have been VERY patient waiting for this product, so Pro-Tour members who have preordered will receive an introductory price of $200 until January 1, 2009. All you have to do is go to our website

http://www.ridetech.com/catalog/Precision_Coachworks_Products-2488-1.html

and enter " Pro Tour forum" in the comment line. When we see that we will adjust the pricing when we process the order. You can also call 812.481.4797 to place a phone order.
We will have a short run of 25 units available for delivery by December 22, 2008. The regular production run of 250 units will be available in January 2009. Orders will be taken immediately. Delivery will be on a first ordered, first delivered basis. Your credit card will not be charged until the units are shipped to you. <o:p></o:p>
Larry and I both thank you for your patience on this project. Rest assured it will be worth the wait!

After we get the Camaro unit up and running we will offer a Mustang unit and a universal style as well. You all will be the first to find out about any of this.

Thanks guys!!

Bret Voelkel
President
Presicion Coachworks, Inc.
Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

XLexusTech
11-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Thats real nice. Question for you. I want to run a fuel cell in my trunk.
Like Penny Part II does. would it be possible to get a custom neck with one of these that would for example have 20 degree turn instead of a 75 (for example /approximately)

in2protour
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
placed my order on your website, thanks Bret and Larry.

Damn True
11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Larry had two versions of the filler in development. One compatible with an OE type tank installation, and a second compatible with a fuel cell installation. Both were to be available vented or non-vented.

Are these options going to be available?

bret
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Larry had two versions of the filler in development. One compatible with an OE type tank installation, and a second compatible with a fuel cell installation. Both were to be available vented or non-vented.

Are these options going to be available?

Good question...I will get you an answer in a couple of days. Thanks!

BMF Machine
11-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Wooooo hooooooo! Day'um I wish I had a first gen! I have been reading about these on here for three years! Get'R'donE BreT!:git:

RodDawg
11-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Order placed.

One more piece of my giant puzzle, on the way.

Thanks.

Jarcaines
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Sweet! Can't wait to order one!

AJSZR2326
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
is it vented?

patriot68
11-14-2008, 01:15 PM
i just ordered mine from tony at air ride:)..he said they are non vented

paulk68
11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
those look great, can someone quickly go over the difference between vented and non vented?

Mr.VENGEANCE
11-14-2008, 01:46 PM
man i know folks are happy about this!

absintheisfun
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
those look great, can someone quickly go over the difference between vented and non vented?

x2.

vp23271
11-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Here is a link to a good Q and A about vented -vs- non-vented.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30156&highlight=vented+non-vented

Larry and Bret, Thanks for making this happen! Just Ordered!

streetk14
11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Man, I've been waiting to get one of these for the last few years that it has been in the works by Larry. I'm glad they are finally going to be available to everyone.

I am wondering why the caps are the non-vented style. Don't all stock 1st gens use a vented cap? I have a Rock Valley stainless tank that does not have any kind of vent as far as I know, which means I cannot use this cap. I would imagine that most cars with regular tanks (not fuel cells) would require a vented cap. Make a vented version and I will buy one.

Andy

David Pozzi
11-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Bret,
Thanks for doing this, mine's ordered! :)
David

Damn True
11-14-2008, 11:56 PM

Main thing for me is a fuel cell compatible version. I'll vent at the cell.

NorwayCharger
11-15-2008, 05:59 AM
But if you happend to own another car, maybe this will do...

http://www.fueldoors.com/gallery.htm

68/CamaroFL
11-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Bret & Larry!
Many Thanks for getting this Done! :woot:
Bret just ordered!:jump:

eville
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I want to order, but need to figure out the vent issue first.
I have a stock tank and cap for carbed setup.
Someday a ricks tank with EFI.

bret
11-15-2008, 10:51 AM
A couple of notes on the tank venting...

We are planning on casting a boss in the neck that could be drilled and tapped for at least a 1/4npt fitting to run a vent to. That way those who choose to run a oem style tank would not have to modify the tank to accomodate a vent.

The venting that can be done through the cap is typically not adequete to service an engine that would consume enough fuel to make over 400hp. Meaning that the vent holes in the cap would not allow enough air to enter the tank to replace the volume of fuel used under paower. You could end up with a vacum in the tank. By using a non-vented cap you are required to use an "external vent" that would do a better job than any cap vent would. We are working on an external vent valve as well. This is a seemingly simple issue that presents an unusual challenge in a car that sees extreme G loads. I have tried several vents both of my own design and from other sources...I have not yet found a perfect solution.

To be honest I have not taken the time to focus fully on this problem, but since my own cars all suffer from venting issues [leaks fuel under hard G load in various directions] I will be forced to resolve it. I will entertain ALL suggestions for a vent device or process!

streetk14
11-15-2008, 12:22 PM
A couple of notes on the tank venting...

We are planning on casting a boss in the neck that could be drilled and tapped for at least a 1/4npt fitting to run a vent to. That way those who choose to run a oem style tank would not have to modify the tank to accomodate a vent.

The venting that can be done through the cap is typically not adequete to service an engine that would consume enough fuel to make over 400hp. Meaning that the vent holes in the cap would not allow enough air to enter the tank to replace the volume of fuel used under paower. You could end up with a vacum in the tank. By using a non-vented cap you are required to use an "external vent" that would do a better job than any cap vent would. We are working on an external vent valve as well. This is a seemingly simple issue that presents an unusual challenge in a car that sees extreme G loads. I have tried several vents both of my own design and from other sources...I have not yet found a perfect solution.

To be honest I have not taken the time to focus fully on this problem, but since my own cars all suffer from venting issues [leaks fuel under hard G load in various directions] I will be forced to resolve it. I will entertain ALL suggestions for a vent device or process!

Thanks for addressing this, Bret. I hope you can find the time to find a good solution to this problem. I would love to buy one of your caps, but will not be going through the hassle of dropping and/or modifying my tank to do so. Maybe some kind of vent in the neck area would work, like you were thinking.

FWIW, the stock SS style cap on my car seems to be working just fine with my 650 hp blown LS1 motor. I have not noticed any issues with vacuum inside the tank or it caving in, etc. Maybe it would be more of an issue on the track where you are moving a lot of fuel. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Andy

68/CamaroFL
11-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I Will be Running LS-2 With a Tank from Rick's in the tank pump
correct me if im wrong i should be able to vent from the hole
in the tank see Attached Pic. any advise?

Mark68
11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Bret,

I placed an order for one of your gas caps but this was before I realized there was a venting issue with it. I have a '68 RS/SS camaro with a stock tank and original SS gas cap and have no issues with venting. If this new cap will not have an option for venting then I would like to cancel my order until one is offered. Please let me know what the status of adding a vent to the gas cap is so I can look forward to getting one that work in my car.

Thanks,
Mark

parsonsj
11-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Mike Norris and I have developed a tank vent solution. Bad Penny and FUeL both used a prototype of it at the Optima event, with excellent results.

MotiV8r and my car (II Much) are also using it.

It works like this:
The tank vent is connected to our baffle (which is a vapor/liquid separator), which is connected to a breather. As fuel sloshes out of the tank it is captured in the vent, and then drains back into the tank. As fuel is burned by the motor, filtered air is drawn through the baffle to replace the fuel.

You can buy them now through Norris Motorsports.

jp

68/CamaroFL
11-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Mike Norris and I have developed a tank vent solution. Bad Penny and FUeL both used a prototype of it at the Optima event, with excellent results.

It works like this:
The tank vent is connected to our baffle (which is a vapor/liquid separator), which is connected to a breather. As fuel sloshes out of the tank it is captured in the vent, and then drains back into the tank. As fuel is burned by the motor, filtered air is drawn through the baffle to replace the fuel.

jp
Excellent News John Many Thanks!!!

Mike Norris
11-16-2008, 08:10 AM
As John mentioned, we have done a few of these vent baffles for testing and they are working out great on the track. I was waiting for some final pictures from Fuel and Motiv8r before posting. Steve had a picture from his install in Bad Penny in one of his threads. I am attaching it here.

As Bret explained very well, the stock cap venting would most likely be inadequate for most cars running injection and high horsepower, so this vent baffle John and I created will not only vent for you but keep that fuel from pouring out under high G conditions and a nice compliment to the gas cap for sure.

Right now the target pricing will be in the $129-149 area and is all US made billet with 1/4 to -6 fittings top and bottom and the end caps are threaded and sealed with an o-ring.

I am sending some units to John this week to finish up before I head out of town on a family vacation Thanksgiving week.

Mike Norris

bret
11-16-2008, 09:28 AM
As John mentioned, we have done a few of these vent baffles for testing and they are working out great on the track. I was waiting for some final pictures from Fuel and Motiv8r before posting. Steve had a picture from his install in Bad Penny in one of his threads. I am attaching it here.

As Bret explained very well, the stock cap venting would most likely be inadequate for most cars running injection and high horsepower, so this vent baffle John and I created will not only vent for you but keep that fuel from pouring out under high G conditions and a nice compliment to the gas cap for sure.

Right now the target pricing will be in the $129-149 area and is all US made billet with 1/4 to -6 fittings top and bottom and the end caps are threaded and sealed with an o-ring.

I am sending some units to John this week to finish up before I head out of town on a family vacation Thanksgiving week.

Mike Norris

Mike...that looks like a good solution. The pricing seems to be in a decent range...I've probably sloshed that much fuel out my tanks this summer! I'll call you this week to get one coming. Thanks for the info.

Mike Norris
11-16-2008, 09:41 AM
No problem Bret, talk to you soon.

Mike Norris

CRead01
11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I had noticed that these are clear anodized. Would it be possible to get these anodized black?

streetk14
11-16-2008, 02:00 PM

It works like this:

jp

John,
That looks like a great solution to fuel sloshing problems for guys that will be on the track or doing a lot of hard driving. I have yet to see any fuel spill out of my stock filler neck/gas cap setup, but it seems like a nice setup.

The issue I have (and probably many others here interested in the billet cap) is that our tanks do not have a vent in them like the cell in Bad Penny. Maybe you guys could work together and sell a complete setup with the billet cap, a modified filler neck, and AN lines that are already hooked up to that breather tank and ready to install in the trunk.

Just a thought to make this product more usable for many potential buyers.

Andy

bret
11-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I had noticed that these are clear anodized. Would it be possible to get these anodized black?

We may very well offer then in black down the road...I need to get this first batch up and running first. Keep the requests coming...that is the only way to really gauge interest in black anodizing, vent options, etc. THANKS!

Mike Norris
11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
One thing to remember is that if you do get the gas cap assembly and add a fitting to the neck portion, you then will have the vent starting inside the trunk and some kind of bulkhead fitting will be needed to get any fumes outside of the car.

Mike Norris

68cam454
11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Black anodized and vented would be perfect for my setup.

AJSZR2326
11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
still sounds wrong for stock tanks?
It works like this:

where on a stock tank can i connect the vent? if a vent is on the down tube i cant have it vent in the trunk? i drilled a small 1/16 hole under the lip on the cap, i havent installed it yet and believe the hole is too small to vent properly. pls advise on your solutions
ps its the same cap just not welded like yours to the down spout, plus mine isnt locking.

CliffS
11-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Got the following situation with a stock tank; the stock fuel line is not used and blocked off, fuel is through a sump. Is it possible to use the stock fuel line and how should the set up look like?

68 SuperRam
11-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I currently have the Rock Valley Tank - for EFI - but not vent value connection to the tank - did not want to worry about gas coming out - going up or down a steep hill - as such - drill and tapped a hose in the side of the filler neck in the trunk - and run a hose done along the filler neck - through the floor pan - and have the hose end there - - but recently came across this company that sells this:

Vent Valve

Where required, vented fuel systems allow air to freely enter the
tank and replace the volume of fuel being drawn form the tank; a
vent should also allow vapor to exit the tank before there is any
build up in presssure, and without fuel (liquid) loss. Factory
installed tanks/fuel systems (non EFI) likely incorporate some
type of vent incorporated or independent of the fuel fill pipe. When
fabricating a tank and fuel system from aftermarket components,
we can supply a suitable on-tank or in-line vent valve. Valves
accept 1/4" hose and can be threaded to a 9/16" UNF "bung"
(on-tank) or installed verticly in a hose run (in-line).

I am sure something like this is what we are going to be able to see - would like to see the connection on the filler neck as an option - as previously mentioned.

Mark68
11-18-2008, 04:21 AM
I currently have the Rock Valley Tank - for EFI - but not vent value connection to the tank - did not want to worry about gas coming out - going up or down a steep hill - as such - drill and tapped a hose in the side of the filler neck in the trunk - and run a hose done along the filler neck - through the floor pan - and have the hose end there - - but recently came across this company that sells this:

Vent Valve

Where required, vented fuel systems allow air to freely enter the

tank and replace the volume of fuel being drawn form the tank; a
vent should also allow vapor to exit the tank before there is any
build up in presssure, and without fuel (liquid) loss. Factory
installed tanks/fuel systems (non EFI) likely incorporate some
type of vent incorporated or independent of the fuel fill pipe. When
fabricating a tank and fuel system from aftermarket components,
we can supply a suitable on-tank or in-line vent valve. Valves
accept 1/4" hose and can be threaded to a 9/16" UNF "bung"
(on-tank) or installed verticly in a hose run (in-line).

I am sure something like this is what we are going to be able to see - would like to see the connection on the filler neck as an option - as previously mentioned.

Could you please post the name of the company or web site link so I can check out this vent. It looks like just the part that I need for my system.

Thanks,
Mark

Marty G Cars
11-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I am also interested in the billet cap for my 68 with a stock tank.

I'm running a 500+ hp carb'd small block and I will need to address the venting issue too. In addition, my stock SS cap leaks fuel out around it under acceleration, and that's after I've replaced the filler neck and cap TWO TIMES. My hopes are that this billet cap will eliminate the poor fitment cap leaks while avoiding any new venting issues.

I don't really want to deal with the hassle of dropping my stock tank and adapting a vent system.

A drilled and tapped filler neck option complete with a venting kit solution would certainly pull my "buy" trigger.

AJSZR2326
11-24-2008, 12:48 PM
i thought the company (newton)that makes them has a vented option?

Marty G Cars
11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/0fcd_2JPG-1.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NEWTON-ALLOY-VENTED-FUEL-CAP-WITH-KEY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ350116355229#ebayphotoh osting)

They offer vented and non-vented, but I really want the kit discussed here that was specifically designed for 67-68 Camaros.

68 SuperRam
11-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Mark PM with Infor sent - seems like the best solution for the vent issue - out of the filler neck.

thedugan
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Can you PM me the info too.

Mark68
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Mark PM with Infor sent - seems like the best solution for the vent issue - out of the filler neck.

Thanks for the info. It's just what I'm looking for to vent this cap through the bung in the filler neck.

Marty G Cars
11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Can someone please pm me the info on this stock tank venting solution

Marty G Cars
11-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the PM

So if I understand this correctly, I can order this billet cap and neck (which is non-vented) and then simply use an in-line vent from Mocal (part# ATRL7 in-line version @ $59.50ea) to handle any venting requirements.

At the risk of sounding stupid, just where exactly would I use this vent?

Would I need to install a fitting to the filler neck (which could mean waiting for the version of the neck with a bung), run a line from the filler neck to outside my trunk (via a bulkhead) and then attach this in-line vent to the end of this line?

bret
11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I have 250 units being built right now. The first 25 will be done for Christmas delivery [barring unforseen disaster]. The remaining units will be available in late January. We will also have black anodized units available in January.
We will have a bung made into the filler neck that can be used for venting so there will be no modification neccessary for either a stock tank or a fuel cell. If you have a stock tank you will need to use this port to run a vent hose and/or a vent valve to prevent building pressure and/or vacumn in your tank. If you have a fuel cell or an aftermarket tank that already has a vent, then simply leave the port plugged. I am looking into vent valves right now but don't have any accurate info to release.

To clarify...if you ORDER by Jan. 1, and let us know you are on the Pro-Touring.com forum, you WILL get the introductory $50 discount from the regular price of $250, even if delivery is in January.

On leakage...I have run this cap on Velocity since May [with considerable G forces applied at various angles] and have had NO leakage at all from the cap or its attaching components. Larry did a nice job putting this together. Thanks Larry!

Bret Voelkel
President
Precision Coachworks
Air Ride Technologies

bret
11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
to further clarify...
Newton Equipment DOES make the guts of the billet gascap for us. Here are the differences:
1. The OD of the flange is made special for us to directly fit the 67-68 Camaro
2. We make a filler neck the is model specific to the 67-68 Camaro
3. We will offer it in a black anodized finish

We have tapped their YEARS of OEM experience in making gascaps and then revised the exterior dimensions and components to fit a specific car.

in2protour
11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Bret, first, thanks for the update. second, can you list the group that will be getting the first batch of 25? lastly, I got an e-mail invoice from you guys and the invoice says $250. I stated on the comments that I'm a Pro-touring member. can you please check on that too? Thanks and keep up the great job.

AJSZR2326
11-25-2008, 01:19 PM
sorry to make issues on the venting but it is important, what kind of bung is going to be on the filler neck and where will it be located? is it just a nipple or will it be threaded?
ps newton makes the vent valves also

TT302Z28
11-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Soooo......I saw this thread this morning and right away called and placed an order. I have a Rock Valley carb'd tank that I will be installing at the same time as the new filler neck.

When I get the new neck, will it have the bung or not? If so, I have to install a valve and run a hose? This doesn't seem worth the problem to not wait until a vented cap is ready.

CRead01
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I can't wait to get one in black.

If I pay for it early can I still get in on the 200.00 price?

vp23271
11-26-2008, 07:06 AM
I got an e-mail invoice from you guys and the invoice says $250. I stated on the comments that I'm a Pro-touring member. can you please check on that too? Thanks and keep up the great job.

in2protour,

I got the same invoice showing $250 + tax and called AirRide and they said the invoices are electronicaly generated and the price adjustment will happen before the parts are sent out. My credit card has not been charged, so I am guessing the emailed invoice I got in my inbox was just to let me know that my order was accepted.

These gas caps have been a long awaited item! Can't wait!

Relax428
11-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I am sure the 1st Gen Firebird guys are wondering what types of mod we would have to do to make it fit a 67-68 Firebird fuel neck area. Does the Camaro have a round fuel cap hole in the back? I know Firebird's are slighty different. Anyone have any feedback?

thedugan
11-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I have a rock valley tank and am interested in one in black with the vent.

ROBS6T8
11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, just joined. Was sent over from Team Camaro regarding the gas filler. I've been waiting for this to happen and I'm so excited it's finally here. It's like Christmas all over again... wait it is almost Christmas!! Anyway, just ordered mine, can't wait.
Looking forward to talking with everyone in the future.
68 Camaro in the works... a lot of work!

Robert:)

XLexusTech
11-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Any info on this for us fuel cell guys???

ROBS6T8
11-30-2008, 08:48 AM
After I ordered mine last night, everything looked good as for the order total. The $50 was taken off and it reflected in the total price! Thanks again Bret.:1st:

Robert

bret
12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
1. Even if your order notification email indicates a price of $250, when we run the credit card we will hit it for the discounted price of $200 [plus shipping]. Your card will not be charged until it actually ships. I use this procedure in leu of actually outsmarting my shopping cart software to automate the process. We process each website order by hand [gascap and air ride] so we can catch any glaring discrepencies.
2. The black anodized units can be ordered before Jan. 1 to get the $200 price. I am having 50 units done in black. If you want a black cap, order early to get the discount, to make sure you get one of the 50 caps, and to inspire me to build more black caps!
3. The vent port will be on top of the filler neck in the 12 o'clock position. It will be a 3/8" female pipe thread so any kind of pipe fitting can be installed. This will accommodate both the oem tank guys and the fuel cell guys. This port position seems to work best both for clearance in the car and for venting performance.
The vent port will come with an allen head pipe plug for the fuel cell guys who want to use the vent already in their fuel cell. The oem tank guys will remove this plug and install the fitting and vent hose/valve of their choice. For convienience we will likely have a vent kit available as an option, but I do not have specific info yet. I should have this info in a couple of weeks, before the first units ship.
Thanks for the continuing interest!!

Bret Voelkel
President
Precision Coachworks
Air Ride Technologies

Rick Dorion
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Order placed.

I noted black anodized in the additional info field as I didn't see where to specify. OK?

Thanks, Bret

XLexusTech
12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Any info on this for us fuel cell guys???

OK I will try agin Bret For the guys running fuel cells what is the status of a filler neck to accomidate this type of install?

See Bad Penny II this is exactly like mine. Thaks for any assistance.

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I am sure the 1st Gen Firebird guys are wondering what types of mod we would have to do to make it fit a 67-68 Firebird fuel neck area. Does the Camaro have a round fuel cap hole in the back? I know Firebird's are slighty different. Anyone have any feedback?

Here's my plan for my 67 'Bird. I went to several 1st Gen Camaro boards looking for people who are replacing their tail panel. I found some one who cut a good size, 3" each side of the filler hole, out of the center of thier tail panel. I will use that piece to modify my 'Bird tail panel to use the Camaro gas cap. I have already seen a few 67-8 'Birds do this and they look real nice. Pretty easy mod too.

I'm also looking for a shorter flange to connect to my fuel cell...

Just my .02

CliffS
12-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Here's my plan for my 67 'Bird. I went to several 1st Gen Camaro boards looking for people who are replacing their tail panel. I found some one who cut a good size, 3" each side of the filler hole, out of the center of thier tail panel. I will use that piece to modify my 'Bird tail panel to use the Camaro gas cap. I have already seen a few 67-8 'Birds do this and they look real nice. Pretty easy mod too.

I'm also looking for a shorter flange to connect to my fuel cell...

Just my .02

That's the same thing I got in mind for my 68 Bird, got the Camaro panel already. Just wondering how far to cut the upper section of the panel. Is it wise to cut all the way up through the groove where the weatherstrip slids in?

Relax428
12-02-2008, 01:38 AM
I was wondering that myself. also if you guys know anyone with a camaro tail piece they are replacing let me know.

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
That's the same thing I got in mind for my 68 Bird, got the Camaro panel already. Just wondering how far to cut the upper section of the panel. Is it wise to cut all the way up through the groove where the weatherstrip slids in?

If the weather strip channel is good I'd just cut what you need for the filler. The keylock location may make this tricky. I'm probably several months away from doing this mod. When I do mine I'll try and take good before and after pics. As well as what I did along the way.

AJSZR2326
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
can you post a pic of the whole unit with the vent ? like on the 1st page?

sadida011
12-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Since I don't line in Indiana I want be paying sales tax correct?

and can you post pictures of the back side of the filler neck ?

Thanks

darren@ridetech
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
That is correct....no sales tax when shipping to any state except indiana. I'll see if I can dig up more pics.

Marty G Cars
12-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Ordered mine last night! There is not a current vent kit available, so I'll probably order the vent from Motec and somehow fashion a line from the fitting (provided on the top of the filler neck) to the outside of my trunk. I'll post a pic when finished.

Malibu Lou
12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I've ordered this cap myself, this will dress up the stern panel quite nicely. I've seen several posts with reference to venting ideas and specific parts from Motec. I've not been able to find anything to help me understand how I'm going to vent this. Does anyone have specific part numbers or photos that help clear this up? I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Thanks,

68 SuperRam
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I would recommend getting something like this:

http://www.newton-equipment.com/Inlinevalvenew.htm

And running a hose from the top of the filler neck from the billet gas cap - as previously discussed - run it down the filler neck - through the trunk pan - and attach to above linked product - somwhere behind the license plate access area.

I am waiting to see what direct fit kit will become available - but it must be something what I described above.

ROBS6T8
12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Bret, just wondering how things were going? Has that unforseen thing happened? Will you be able to tell us who has made the top 25, or should we just wait for the email? Thanks. Merry Christmas to all.

Robert :yum:

bret
12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I just returned from the PRI show in Orlando. I am sitting here fondling 35 gascaps and filler necks [up from the 25 that I had originally projected]. We have to get the stainless screws and the rubber hose that connects to the tank and then we can ship. We will likely ship on Wednesday. I will get some pictures of the assembly area so I can post them shortly. We will be emailing ALL of the customers who ordered when we actually ship so everyone will know if they are getting a gascap in time for Christmas.
Thanks for the ongoing patience!

Bret Voelkel
Precision Coachworks, Inc.

bret
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Here are some pics of the billet caps being assembled for shipment. The only parts you don't see yet are the plugs for the vent port, the stainless attachment screws, and the hose and clamps that will connect the neck to the tank.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Also...here is a closer look at the vent system. It will come with an 1/8" npt brass plug for those with a cell or tank that already has a vent installed. For the guys with a stock unvented tank, we can provide a simple vent kit that consists of the 90 degree fitting and a length of hose that can be routed outside the car as a vent. We are going to include this fitting and hose with the first run of caps going out this week at no extra charge. [bonus!]
After that the vent kit will run an extra $10.

in2protour
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
"It's beginning to look alot like Christmas!" :santa3::seizure::cool:
Thanks Bret! Caps look awesome.

ROBS6T8
12-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the update Bret. It does look a lot like Christmas!! Thanks again, Robert :yum:

1BADRS
12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Im interested and amused.
Do we have pics of the black ones up yet?
Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
:idea:

Rick Dorion
12-16-2008, 04:11 AM
Looks great, Bret! When I ordered my black one I was only able to note it in the extra comments area. Will that work?

paulk68
12-16-2008, 04:48 AM
yeah i would love to see a black one so i know what to order. also if we order before the end of the month we still get it for 200 right?
thank you

sadida011
12-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Called and ordered one yesterday . Should ship in January .

TT302Z28
12-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Bret...it is great doing business with you. I look forward to encouraging all of my friends to purchase your companies products. This is my first experience purchasing from Air Ride. So far you and your staff have been incredible in the way you have handled this new release and the speed you demonstrated your ability for problem solving.

I wish all manufacturers would take note.

parsonsj
12-16-2008, 07:34 AM
As a friendly reminder, we are asking that all members begin using a real name. It helps make the site more like a real club, and reduces keyboard tantrums. A first name is required, and we'd like to see the use of surnames too.

You don't have to change your screen name (though we will happily accomodate that if you wish), but please at least add it to your signature.

jp

TT302Z28
12-16-2008, 07:47 AM
How about now?

parsonsj
12-16-2008, 08:22 AM
TT, are you asking me?

If so, no, you've no signature.

jp

bret
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Im interested and amused.
Do we have pics of the black ones up yet?
Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
:idea:

hehe...I guess it would make sense to create the black option on the website, wouldn't it? :)
I'll have Jason get on that tomorrow.

I don't have any pics of the black ones yet...we won't see them until January ourselves.
At this point the first 35 units are spoken for so the next delivery will be in late January. The the special $200 pricing is in effect for all orders of either color up to Jan. 1.

Bret Voelkel
President
Precision Coachworks, Inc.

darren@ridetech
12-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Looks great, Bret! When I ordered my black one I was only able to note it in the extra comments area. Will that work?

Got it Rick. Thanks!

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Bret - What about short neck version for fuel cells ???

Thanks

Mark

tumper93
12-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Eagerly waiting for my "christmas" email about shipping. I hope they do go out today that way I will get it before I leave to go out of town next Wednesday:bananna2: Then I will have gotten almost everything I wanted...

paulk68
12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
if one of you guys would like to try to photo shop a black anodized version that would be very cool.

darren@ridetech
12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
We are expecting some black ones with the next shipment, which is due in at the end of January.

ROBS6T8
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Eagerly waiting for my "christmas" email about shipping. I hope they do go out today that way I will get it before I leave to go out of town next Wednesday:bananna2: Then I will have gotten almost everything I wanted...

Did anyone get an email today? I didn't and was bummed. However, the wife beat me to the email and told me that she didn't see anything. She's excited too. Maybe she just said that so I would unwrap it Christmas morning!! I can only hope now. To all that received the email, congratulations. I'll be a few weeks behind you.

Robert

TT302Z28
12-18-2008, 07:39 AM
MINE LEFT YESTERDAY!!! Call AIR RIDE and they can tell you if your shipped yet.

tumper93
12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I didn't get an email either and my account hasn't been drafted yet, but Bret had sent me an email saying my order was one of the first 25 so I will have to email again to check and see.

darren@ridetech
12-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I snapped a couple pics of the cap installed on the neck.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27373&stc=1&d=1229638478

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27374&stc=1&d=1229638478

vp23271
12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Very nice! Can't wait!

XLexusTech
12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
OK I will try agin Bret For the guys running fuel cells what is the status of a filler neck to accomidate this type of install?

See Bad Penny II this is exactly like mine. Thaks for any assistance.

3x is a charm?

Larry Callahan
12-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I have info and need to talk to Bret first.

bret
12-19-2008, 03:01 AM
3x is a charm?

I don't see any reason why this cap could not be run with a fuel cell. If the cell is a direct fit for a 67-68 Camaro then our fill neck should fit right up. If it is a universal unit then you will need to make a connector between our gascap flange and the fill neck of your particular fuel cell. Our fill neck is attached to the gascap itself with a bolted flange and an O ring seal. It can easily be removed and some other piece fitted to make it easier to connect the cap to your cell.
You will likely leave our vent port plugged and use the vent provided on your fuel cell.
Are we going to build a specific unit for all the different brands of fuel cells? Probably not, but if you are using a universal type fuel cell then you have already become familiar with the mounting and plumbing fabrication necessary to get it properly installed.
Hope this helps!

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Most fuel cells have the filler in the middle. So an angle that steep would be a pain to adapt to. Bummer. I know a lot of us were looking forward to using this cap. Oh well ...

So, what's the best fuel cell alternative now ??? The newton ones ???

in2protour
12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I won! I got the golden ticket! Well, actually an email from Air Ride that they're shipping me out one of their Billet Gas Cap. Sweet!!!!!!!!!

tumper93
12-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I called them at lunch and was told that they were sent a wrong o-ring so that the order was stopped until they received the correct one. He didn't know for sure when they would be getting it but it shouldn't be long. Don't guess it will be here for Christmas then!

patriot68
12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
i got mine this morning. i noticed the o ring didn't seal inside the bore and called air ride right away. figured it was a safety hazard. they called me back after checking the caps in stock and said that the wrong o ring was shipped to them. for those that received them they will be shipping the o ring as soon as they get them in.
Scott

TT302Z28
12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, that solves the venting issue :-)

Larry Callahan
12-20-2008, 05:01 AM
Most fuel cells have the filler in the middle. So an angle that steep would be a pain to adapt to. Bummer. I know a lot of us were looking forward to using this cap. Oh well ...

Let me call Bret. I have an idea.

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Let me call Bret. I have an idea.

I thought you might :)

patriot68
12-20-2008, 09:19 AM
the caps come non vented and vented. air ride supplied the hardware to do both. i couldnt be happier with the product. i dont mind waiting for the o ring.. good job larry/air ride
scott

bret
12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
We should have the new O rings on Monday. If that happens we can ship on Monday as well.
If everything would have gone as planned it would have been my first trouble-free new product launch. :)
Maybe next time!

bret
12-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Without laying eyes on your particular installation, I can't imagine that adapting to the billet cap would be any harder/different that adapting to an OEM cap/filler setup. I am thinking a a simple bent tube [think exhaust tubing?] would be the simplest. Our filler neck would likely remain in place to get you under the oem trunk latch housing, then your fabricated tube would connect from our filler neck to your fuel cell.
It could be as elegant or as simple [maybe both?] as you like.

CliffS
12-21-2008, 07:54 AM
If the weather strip channel is good I'd just cut what you need for the filler. The keylock location may make this tricky. I'm probably several months away from doing this mod. When I do mine I'll try and take good before and after pics. As well as what I did along the way.

I just measured the 68 Bird & Camaro panel. Both measure 4 inch where the billet gas cap have to be mounted. The critical point is indeed the keylock. Doubting just to weld in a piece of the Camaro panel where the door original sits or cut out a piece of the Bird panel first including the keylock.

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Without laying eyes on your particular installation, I can't imagine that adapting to the billet cap would be any harder/different that adapting to an OEM cap/filler setup. I am thinking a a simple bent tube [think exhaust tubing?] would be the simplest. Our filler neck would likely remain in place to get you under the oem trunk latch housing, then your fabricated tube would connect from our filler neck to your fuel cell.
It could be as elegant or as simple [maybe both?] as you like.

Mine will be similar to this. You can see the need for a more straight on nipple much like Steve used in his Bad Penny set up.

darren@ridetech
12-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, that solves the venting issue :-)

Hahahaha. I don't care who you are.......

bulldog19
12-23-2008, 02:59 AM
What a way to start off the day when i got an e-mail from ride-tech with the following message: "Camaros are red Chevelles are blue Your order is packed And coming to you!" Can't wait to get it!!!
Thanks Larry and Ride-Tech I know it's going to be worth the wait!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
John

Mark68
12-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Hey Bret,

What's the deal with the envelope enclosed with the gas cap that reads "Do Not Open" instructions? Are we not supposed to open this for a reason? Please let me know what I should do because I don't want to screw anything up by opening it!!

Thanks,
Mark

XLexusTech
12-23-2008, 04:39 AM
Mine will be similar to this. You can see the need for a more straight on nipple much like Steve used in his Bad Penny set up.

yep X2

Jon@AirRideTech
12-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey Bret,

What's the deal with the envelope enclosed with the gas cap that reads "Do Not Open" instructions? Are we not supposed to open this for a reason? Please let me know what I should do because I don't want to screw anything up by opening it!!

Thanks,
Mark
It's a joke and ok to open....:)

Jarcaines
12-23-2008, 11:19 AM
hahahahaha!

DriverzInc
12-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Real men don't read instructions. LOL.

Chad-1stGen
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
First thing I thought was reverse psychology to get "real men" to actually read the directions lol.

DRJDVM's '69
12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
All the Air Ride stuff comes with the instructions like that... I love it !!

Its like "whatever you dont push that shiney red button !!!"

ROBS6T8
12-23-2008, 08:41 PM
What a way to start off the day when i got an e-mail from ride-tech with the following message: "Camaros are red Chevelles are blue Your order is packed And coming to you!" Can't wait to get it!!!
Thanks Larry and Ride-Tech I know it's going to be worth the wait!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
John

I received the same email this morning. Won't be here until the 31st, but I'm not complaining. It will be a new year present... things already look brighter for next year!! Thanks guys.

Robert

CliffS
12-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Received mine at my buddy in MO yesterday morning, Thanks guys!!! Will have it here overseas next week.

Jon@AirRideTech
12-26-2008, 06:10 AM
First thing I thought was reverse psychology to get "real men" to actually read the directions lol.
exactly!:) hope every one had a great Christmas!

67ragtp
12-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Can someone tell me which Oring needs to be replaced on the filler assy. Is it the cap with the lock mechanism or the front flange to the rear filler neck?

Thanks Rich

mdprovee
12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
I got mine too, but how do we know if we have the right O-ring or not?

bret
12-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Can someone tell me which Oring needs to be replaced on the filler assy. Is it the cap with the lock mechanism or the front flange to the rear filler neck?

Thanks Rich

The gascap flange seals to the filler neck with an O ring. The proper O ring will have a slight interference fit between the flange and the neck to accomplish this seal. If it has the wrong O ring there will be clearance between these 2 parts and therefore no seal...and your luggage will get soaked with gas when you take off from a stoplight!

I had about 5 caps get out with the wrong o ring before we caught it. All those people have been notified and sent replacement O rings. If we have missed someone, PLEASE call the shop [812.482.2932] and we will get the correct o ring sent to you immediately.

Steve1968LS2
12-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Damn.. I'm not special any more!

lol

Glad to see these coming to market finally :)

Steve1968LS2
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Hmmm.. I wonder I should do this? Did you get the cover from Fuel Safe?

Right now my cap is just decorative. I guess it's safer that way but this would be more user friendly.

funbnme
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Anyone get their fuel caps installed yet? I'd love to see one on a 68. I'm thinking about ordering a black one for my car.

68/CamaroFL
12-31-2008, 06:56 AM
Anyone get their fuel caps installed yet? I'd love to see one on a 68. I'm thinking about ordering a black one for my car.

Got Mine last week!! :jump:will post as soon as we install !

68 SuperRam
12-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Ordered mine - Thanks

Steve1968LS2
12-31-2008, 06:45 PM

I've had it on for years.. here's an older shot..

And a newer one:

paulk68
01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
i ordered the 31 and the invoice still says 250.00 plus shipping just wanted to make sure the 50 dollars was still coming off. thanks

Mr.VENGEANCE
01-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Damn.. I'm not special any more!

lol

Glad to see these coming to market finally :)

you are special steve.. in a football helmet type of way.

and yea didnt it take like 4 years to get these out!

haha

monza
01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
And a newer one:

COOL SHOT! Have you noticed any paint damage from the stickier tires yet? (more then before or the same)

Damn True
01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
So what's the deal with the fuel-cell compatible variant?

67ragtp
01-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Thankyou! Larry and Bret, made my christmas fun! It was worth the wait, nice quality piece.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Picture094-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/Picture098-1.jpg
Thanks Rich

thedugan
01-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Rich, did that vent come with the cap?

Steve, what kind of taillights are on Penny?

67ragtp
01-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes, Bret was kind enough to package the hose kit for us at no additional cost, Im not certain but he may be charging an additional fee for the hose kit in the next group that he ships. Probably not going to be much more that 10-15 bucks though.

Rich

TT302Z28
01-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Nice job 67ragtp. Did you notice any misalignment from the tank filler to the new aluminum piece? I had to kit the Air Ride Filler neck and turn in down about 3 degrees to make it line up. I figured this was due to my Ricks Stainless tank I got from DSE.

Bret stated in an earlier thread that the hose kit would come with the first release and then be a $10.00 option.

67ragtp
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks, There was a small amount of misalignment between the tank fill neck(I also have a ricks tank) and the alluminum filler tube but not enough to have to cut anything. I didn't even cut the rubber hose and its preety long just let it slide up the alluminum tube and clamp it. The important part of the alignment is the exterior cover viewing from the rear of the car, that will ultimately steer the aluminum fill tube.

I also installed the boot that covers the trunk sheet metal, I did split it in two halves though and did not use the upper portion of it. At least it will keep the trunk dry if water sprayed behind the license plate.

Rich

ROBS6T8
01-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Fed Ex has temporarily lost mine!! I was suppose to receive it Wednesday. I checked online and it said they couldn't find me! Called them and gave them directions and my phone number. They said Friday. Friday... nothing. Call them again. It's on a trailer with a 1,000 other packages... maybe. We'll see Monday.:banghead:

thedugan
01-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Is the $200 sale over?

CliffS
01-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Thankyou! Larry and Bret, made my christmas fun! It was worth the wait, nice quality piece.

Thanks Rich

Wow looking good Rich!
Can you post a pic from inside the trunk without the metal cover of the lock support? Like to see the bottom part and routing of the filler neck/rubber hose.
Thanks!

John McIntire
01-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Is the $200 sale over?

Yeah, I believe it was only till the end of the year, now its $250

thedugan
01-04-2009, 07:42 AM
$260 with the vent.

Any chance it can be extended?

Damn True
01-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Dude,

You've had a month and a half.

NVMY68SS
01-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks Rich

Looks great Rich.......can't wait to get mine and install in on my black 68.

Question: Where did you route the vent hose to? Does it come with a closed end or is it open?

NVMY68SS
01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Bret or Jon,

When do you think the Jan shipment will be going out? After seeing some install pics, I can't wait to get this on.

Thanks,
Nelson

bret
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Bret or Jon,

When do you think the Jan shipment will be going out? After seeing some install pics, I can't wait to get this on.

Thanks,
Nelson

It will be late in January before they ship from our shop in Indiana. I will let you know when the centersection ships from England. After that it will take a couple of weeks for incoming freight and to get the kits assembled and shipped out of here.

Damn True
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
It will be late in January before they ship from our shop in Indiana. I will let you know when the centersection ships from England. After that it will take a couple of weeks for incoming freight and to get the kits assembled and shipped out of here.

Any update on the Fuel Cell compatible variant?

NVMY68SS
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks Bret.

paulk68
01-06-2009, 03:37 AM

Will the january shipment include the vent system i did not see that as an option when i ordered. thanks

darren@ridetech
01-06-2009, 06:57 AM
i ordered the 31 and the invoice still says 250.00 plus shipping just wanted to make sure the 50 dollars was still coming off. thanks

You didn't put anything on the order about the "pro-touring discount", but I'll give it to ya. :)

paulk68
01-06-2009, 07:01 AM
You didn't put anything on the order about the "pro-touring discount", but I'll give it to ya. :)

Really i am pretty sure i put it in the little box labeled enter promo code on the order page. but thank you i am looking forward to it

balljoint
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
making my own filler neck for $5.00 with existing filler tube.

DRJDVM's '69
01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Balljoint...where did you get your cap... that isnt the Air Ride one right ?

I have a Mopar and I'm trying to find one that I can adapt..

balljoint
01-14-2009, 06:31 AM
got it from this company in sarasota florida. http://www.batinc.net/aero.htm

NVMY68SS
01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
making my own filler neck for $5.00 with existing filler tube.

But that flange and center piece cost nearly what Bret is offering us, right? And no custom fitting on my/our ends.

I was going to go this route a while back, but dropped the idea and then saw where Bret was finally able to offer this unit.

Thanks Bret.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
got it from this company in sarasota florida. http://www.batinc.net/aero.htm

Which model number did you get ??? I can use your plan to adapt to my fuel cell ....

balljoint
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Its the Aero 300. Part# CAP2. I paid $140 for the flange and center piece. The filler tube inner flange is made from exhaust pipe reducer, 2.5 inch to 2- 1/8 I believe.

minendrews68
01-15-2009, 05:39 AM
But that flange and center piece cost nearly what Bret is offering us, right? And no custom fitting on my/our ends.

I was going to go this route a while back, but dropped the idea and then saw where Bret was finally able to offer this unit.

Thanks Bret.

What he said x2, especially if you were to get all pre made parts like Bret's. :secret:

DRJDVM's '69
01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Mines a Mopar, so no matter what I'm gonna have to modify it some..... so its balance on cost vs how much I have to tweak it to make it work....If I have to modify one alot, I'd rather start cheaper and go from there

Bret or Darren.....anyway you can email me some specs to see if I can make the Air Ride one work in my Cuda ?

[email protected]

Norwaycamaro
01-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Just placed an order to be sent to Norway now too:-)
Looks like top notch quality so cant wait to put it on my 68" :-)
Thanks a lot!!

bret
01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Mines a Mopar, so no matter what I'm gonna have to modify it some..... so its balance on cost vs how much I have to tweak it to make it work....If I have to modify one alot, I'd rather start cheaper and go from there

Bret or Darren.....anyway you can email me some specs to see if I can make the Air Ride one work in my Cuda ?

[email protected]

We are going to offer a universal style for $210 [$220 in black] that will have a short 2" straight neck instead of a model specific neck. We'll have these the first part of February. These would work the best for the fuel cell guys or anyone who would need to do a custom installation.

Darren will have a link to a page on all the Precision Coachworks stuff shortly. I'll be gone all next week to MPMC so I may not get on here as much.

Damn True
01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
We are going to offer a universal style for $210 [$220 in black] that will have a short 2" straight neck instead of a model specific neck. We'll have these the first part of February. These would work the best for the fuel cell guys or anyone who would need to do a custom installation.

Darren will have a link to a page on all the Precision Coachworks stuff shortly. I'll be gone all next week to MPMC so I may not get on here as much.

Sweet. Hey Darren, you can go ahead with my order for the fuel cell compatible variant.

IMO, the neck ought to have a bit of an angle to it though. At least matching the angle of the rear panel + a degree or two so fuel in the neck dosen't roll out when you remove the fuel nozzle.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks. This will be of great help to alot of people. Myself included since I had started to graft the Camaro center section onto my Firebird tail panel. Will place an order in Feb when they are available.

camaro2nv
01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Any info? My card was charged about a week ago.

darren@ridetech
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Any info? My card was charged about a week ago.

Are you sure? We have been waiting until the order ships before charging the card. If it was charged ahead of time it was a mistake.

vyking67
01-23-2009, 06:33 AM
i really hate to have to ask , but i have 86 TPI motor in my camaro
it currently has the stock gas cap and filler neck on it .... do i need the ventless or vented billet cap?????

camaro2nv
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Are you sure? We have been waiting until the order ships before charging the card. If it was charged ahead of time it was a mistake.
Yep Im sure, Im looking at my bill now. Order is under Steve Norton

NVMY68SS
01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Any guess on when the Jan shipment might be ready to go?

darren@ridetech
01-26-2009, 07:14 AM
i really hate to have to ask , but i have 86 TPI motor in my camaro
it currently has the stock gas cap and filler neck on it .... do i need the ventless or vented billet cap?????

If you tank is not vented then you will need to vent the cap.

darren@ridetech
01-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Probably going to be a couple weeks yet.

NVMY68SS
01-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Probably going to be a couple weeks yet.

Ok, need something to be working on to kill some time. LOL

Thanks.

bret
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Looks like we should be able to ship around Feb. 10.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Any time line on the fuel cell/shorty version availability ???

Chad-1stGen
01-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Cool. When I ordered to make the year end cut off there wasn't an option for vented or non vented. How are those orders handled? 68 Camaro requires a vent.

darren@ridetech
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Cool. When I ordered to make the year end cut off there wasn't an option for vented or non vented. How are those orders handled? 68 Camaro requires a vent.

All of the necks have a 1/8npt hole in the top of it. We we just run a fitting and line outside the trunk.

TT302Z28
02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Finally got it done!

NVMY68SS
02-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Finally got it done!

Looks good!

Can't wait to get mine soon and get it installed.

Have any issues or tips for the rest of us?

TT302Z28
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I found if you leave the outer ring loose enough that it can shift a little while you install the tank hose it helps with alignment. When finished tighten them and it will draw into place.

ROBS6T8
02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Everything went good. The only problem I had was with lining up the outer ring with the inner. I took my time with the holes center punching them and drilling them with 1/8" bit and finishing them off with the final size bit. Something went wrong and I had a hard time getting everything to line up. I eventually drilled the holes a lil' larger and got it together with some "kind" words. Looks great!! I'm taking the vent line down to find a grommet to fit it and will be installing that down through the trunk.
Thanks for the product guys.

Robert

NVMY68SS
02-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Is this still looking good? :twothumbs

paulk68
02-10-2009, 02:24 PM

Any update on these, just wondering so i can keep track of my credit card statement.
thanks

bret
02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Here is the latest on the next shipment of billt gascaps as of Wednesday morning 2.11.09:

I have 250 of them sitting in leaving England today via UPS. They should arrive in my facility here in Indiana by Monday 2.16.09. We will immediately assemble them with the filler necks, etc and get them out. I would expect to start shipping them out of here by next Wednesday 2.18.09. We will have the clear anodized, the black anodized, and the universal fuel cell version [with the shorty filler neck] all available at that time.

Apparantly the hold up has been the atrocious weather in England...its been as bad there as its been here. My supplier was down for about a week because of snow and ice and has fallen behind as a result.

BTW...We are currently working on a application for the 62-67 Nova right now.

paulk68
02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Here is the latest on the next shipment of billt gascaps as of Wednesday morning 2.11.09:

I have 250 of them sitting in leaving England today via UPS. They should arrive in my facility here in Indiana by Monday 2.16.09. We will immediately assemble them with the filler necks, etc and get them out. I would expect to start shipping them out of here by next Wednesday 2.18.09. We will have the clear anodized, the black anodized, and the universal fuel cell version [with the shorty filler neck] all available at that time.

Apparantly the hold up has been the atrocious weather in England...its been as bad there as its been here. My supplier was down for about a week because of snow and ice and has fallen behind as a result.

very cool thank you for the heads up.

camaro2nv
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Just want to make sure my card isnt charged again when it gets shipped out.

NVMY68SS
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the update Bret.

funbnme
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Cool. Can't wait to get it.

camaro2nv
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Woo hoo got a tracking number today. Now I just have to get the car a gas tank,lol

funbnme
02-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Lucky Guy. Did the latest set start shipping out?

bret
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Lucky Guy. Did the latest set start shipping out?

Yep. Just got 250 finished today in both clear and black anodized finish. Some shipped on Tuesday. The rest will resume shipping on Thursday. We have the remnants of a large military air ride order to finish up on Wednesday. The Marines HATE to wait!

Thanks to all for their patience. We should have an un-interrupted flow now.

Darren or I will post images of the universal model for fuel cells shortly. We will also post up the 62-67 Nova cap as well. Next up id the 65-66 Mustang and 69-70 Mustang caps.

Damn True
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Dude, take care of the Marines first!

But....uh....I can't help wondering what are you making for the Marines? All I can picture is a Deuce and a 1/2 laying frame.

eville
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
The Growler maybe?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/02/AR2009020202969.html

paulk68
02-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Woo hoo got a tracking number today. Now I just have to get the car a gas tank,lol

no tracking number for me yet. hopefully thursday.

NVMY68SS
02-18-2009, 04:18 AM

Hmmm......we should have been asked if we had a car ready for installation for order of shipping!?! LOL

J/K.........hope to get mine tomorrow.

After this.........it's cruising time........got all my other projects completed.

Rick Dorion
02-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Looking forward to my tracking number :)

darren@ridetech
02-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Here is the anodized black version.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28558&stc=1&d=1234965822

Damn True
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Darren....you've got me taken care of right?

Haven't seen anything in my email.

darren@ridetech
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
True, you will receive a fuel cell compatible version.

Damn True
02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
That'll do.

Thanks.

John McIntire
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Damn! The black anodized ones look killer!

funbnme
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm glad I ordered the black one. That does look killer. Saw my card was hit today, so can't wait to get it in the mail and throw it on the car.

John McIntire
02-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm glad I ordered the black one. That does look killer. Saw my card was hit today, so can't wait to get it in the mail and throw it on the car.

please take many pics!

paulk68
02-19-2009, 12:26 PM
did anyone get a tracking number yet today ?

Malibu Lou
02-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey Bret, I was originally given a tracking number at the end of December but you later determined that there was no caps left to ship. Am I going to have one shipped this time??<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for checking,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Rick Dorion
02-20-2009, 05:23 AM
No tracking number yet.

Marty G Cars
02-20-2009, 06:32 AM
I sent a PM to Bret but have not yet gotten a reply so I'll ask here;

My account was charged $261 on 2/18/09 which I'm taking as good news that my cap is on its way!!!

My question is about the $50 PT discount as my order was placed before the deadline. Is the $50 discount included in my $261 charge or not?

Also, additionally I need to know if the vent kit has been included with my order (as I had requested)

Can't wait to get this thing in so this season I can eliminate gas spilling out of my inferior factory setup.

Damn True
02-20-2009, 08:23 AM
No tracking number yet.

Me either.

NVMY68SS
02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
did anyone get a tracking number yet today ?

Not yet.........impatiently waiting. Mine was charged on Tuesday, but still couldn't get a number when I called yesterday. I was told they were assembling the necks and when it went out, I'd get an email.

I was charged 217. Doesn't sound right as I had asked for the vent kit as well unless shipping is free. LOL

bret
02-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I sent a PM to Bret but have not yet gotten a reply so I'll ask here;

My account was charged $261 on 2/18/09 which I'm taking as good news that my cap is on its way!!!

My question is about the $50 PT discount as my order was placed before the deadline. Is the $50 discount included in my $261 charge or not?

Also, additionally I need to know if the vent kit has been included with my order (as I had requested)

Can't wait to get this thing in so this season I can eliminate gas spilling out of my inferior factory setup.

I will have Brian pull your order to make sure it was charged and shipped correctly. I didn't personally write the invoices so I'll have to involve another human to make sure it is right.

Sorry about the slow/no response to PM's. I do not check them regularly so my direct email is a more reliable method. [email protected].
If it is a question about price/shipping I may have to forward it to a sales/tech to get the correct answer.

The caps ARE marching out of here...really...no kidding. I think there are about 10 orders left sitting here and we should have them all shipped by next Tuesday.

NVMY68SS
02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
WOOHOO!!!!! Got my tracking number today. Can't wait til Tuesday.

Thanks Bret.

Malibu Lou
02-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Thank you Bret, I got a tracking number and looks like we're good to go! I'll post photos when I get this finished. And paint the house, and replant the back lawn, and install the sprinkler system and etc.................

Denvervet
02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
that sounds too familiar......wife says "looks like I'm getting a Camaro before getting the bathroom redone" ....Yeh...no duh!:woot:

Marty G Cars
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Got my tracking number too . . . ETA is Tuesday. Now I gotta find time to get it done!

ROBS6T8
02-21-2009, 09:03 PM
I remember the day when I got my tracking number... reading all these brings back the good memories. I'm sure y'all will find the time to get them installed. And they look sooooo good. Have fun.

Robert :cheers:

68 SuperRam
02-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Got on Friday - question - only one gasket - thought that there would be two - one on the inside of the trunk and the other on the outside of the tail section - in order to sandwich the two sections together?

Buzz0
02-22-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't see any place to order the vent line and fitting...do we just put that on the "more info about your vehicle" section when we check out?

jb@ridetech
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't see any place to order the vent line and fitting...do we just put that on the "more info about your vehicle" section when we check out?

Part # PCW6503V (http://www.ridetech.com/products/Vent_tube_kit_for_Billet_Gas_Cap-1648-2488.html)

Buzz0
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you Jason. I swear it wasn't there last night.
Order on the way, I hope you have at least one left.

jb@ridetech
02-24-2009, 05:17 AM
no problem!

68 SuperRam
02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Jason - please let me know - about the gasket - does it go on the tail panel section or on the inside of the trunk area - would have thought that there would have been two gaskets - one on the inside of the tail panel and one on the outside - that gets sandwiched together.

NVMY68SS
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Bret has resolved my issue.

Thanks Bret

eville
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM
the vent kit is nothing you can't piece together yourself. It's a fitting and a tube. A trip to the hardware store should net the parts you need to rig a vent. With a little care and effort you might even be able to do something a bit better than the supplied kit.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/IMG00039-1.jpg

NVMY68SS
02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
the vent kit is nothing you can't piece together yourself. It's a fitting and a tube. A trip to the hardware store should net the parts you need to rig a vent. With a little care and effort you might even be able to do something a bit better than the supplied kit.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/IMG00039-1.jpg

Bret has resolved my issue.........

Thanks Bret

Marty G Cars
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I will have Brian pull your order to make sure it was charged and shipped correctly. I didn't personally write the invoices so I'll have to involve another human to make sure it is right.

Sorry about the slow/no response to PM's. I do not check them regularly so my direct email is a more reliable method. [email protected].
If it is a question about price/shipping I may have to forward it to a sales/tech to get the correct answer.

The caps ARE marching out of here...really...no kidding. I think there are about 10 orders left sitting here and we should have them all shipped by next Tuesday.

Received mine today with the vent kit. Everything looks properly drilled, tapped and welded. I then called about the missing $50 PT discount and was told it wasn't listed in the correct area on my original 12/19/08 order but they went ahead and GAVE ME THE DISCOUNT ANYWAY!

Great customer service! Thank you!

Marty

NVMY68SS
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Received mine today with the vent kit. Everything looks properly drilled, tapped and welded. I then called about the missing $50 PT discount and was told it wasn't listed in the correct area on my original 12/19/08 order but they went ahead and GAVE ME THE DISCOUNT ANYWAY!

Great customer service! Thank you!

Marty

I'm glad yours come in correct Marty. Post some pics once you get it installed.

NVMY68SS
02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Just got an email from Bret and he's helping me with my missing parts and explained why the plug didn't fit.

Thanks for your help Bret and I agree with Marty G.

Great customer service!

Rick Dorion
02-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Mine came - black anodized :)

Munster
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I searched this thread but couldn't find an answer to this question. Could this set up be mounted on a flat surface tail panel like on the 69 Camaro not in a recessed areaa like the 67-68? I know there would be a bit of alighnment issues with the filler tube and tank neck but nothing would be impossible. I would be using a 67-68 tank and hardware and all would have to be rigged in so the differance of the missing 1/2" recess could be overcome. The cap looks like it would flush surface mount easily and I think the look of the cap being not flush is the look that I want. Any one mount on full on surface yet?

darren@ridetech
02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Jason - please let me know - about the gasket - does it go on the tail panel section or on the inside of the trunk area - would have thought that there would have been two gaskets - one on the inside of the tail panel and one on the outside - that gets sandwiched together.

We only used one gasket, between the outside of the panel and the cap.

funbnme
02-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I looked at my parts last night and don't see any reason why you can't mount it as you described.

bret
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I searched this thread but couldn't find an answer to this question. Could this set up be mounted on a flat surface tail panel like on the 69 Camaro not in a recessed areaa like the 67-68? I know there would be a bit of alighnment issues with the filler tube and tank neck but nothing would be impossible. I would be using a 67-68 tank and hardware and all would have to be rigged in so the differance of the missing 1/2" recess could be overcome. The cap looks like it would flush surface mount easily and I think the look of the cap being not flush is the look that I want. Any one mount on full on surface yet?

The rear of the gascap flange and the front of the mating filler neck flange are flat, so it would be no problem at all to mount this system into any flat surface. The universal kit has a shorty filler neck and is a bit less expensive. that is how I would do it.

bret
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
When it rains, it pours...

On this second batch of gascaps we had a couple problems that have now been resolved:

1. The vent hole was tapped at 1/4"npt instead of 1/8"npt. The plugs we sent were 1/8" npt.
Solution: We have now sent everyone a complete vent kit with the appropriate fitting.

2. Some people didn't get the $50 discount that I had promised for pro-touring orders placed before 1.1.09.
Solution: ALL orders have been reviewed and corrected.

The thing is, we build and ship new products all the time. One would think that we would have it down by now.
Its the "easy" stuff that bites your ass every time!

I "THINK" we've now got everyone covered on delivery, order accuracy, and pricing. If we have missed someone please give us a call or email. 812.482.2932 [email protected]

THANKS!

John McIntire
02-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Mine came - black anodized :)

posts pics immediately! (please)

funbnme
02-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Here's my new gas cap installed.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/02/CamaroGasCap-1.jpg

Need to find a fuel hose that's more flexible than the one that comes with the kit because my tank filler neck is not in the stock location...when the trunk floor & tank were replaced, the tank filler is centered, so that makes the two parts about 1/2 " off alignment.

John McIntire
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
man the black looks good! Is there anyway to get the hardware black too? Maybe have it anodized?

FULMNTE
02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Can anyone post a pic of the universal kit with the shorter neck?

funbnme
02-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the hardware being black. I might try to find some, but they are metric, so not sure how hard that will be.

I might just try to take one and use some black gloss paint on the heads. The after they are installed, I can touch up if needed.

darren@ridetech
03-03-2009, 06:18 AM
We used the short neck on a 67 Nova that we are working on for a customer.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28860&stc=1&d=1236089828

vyking67
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
:idea: i just placed my order.. and i think that i did not change the credit card type from visa to master card .. will that be a a problem..

jb@ridetech
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
no problem, a live person runs the orders, We don't trust some program to figure that stuff out. You will have it shortly,Thanks for the order.

Norwaycamaro
03-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Got mine today! Looks outstanding!!
Cant wait to put it on...:)

NVMY68SS
03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey guys, got mine in last week. So much going on with my upcoming 2010 Camaro I forgot to post pics. Here ya go.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/03/gc20003-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/03/gc20007-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/03/gc20009-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/03/ncae0920104-1.jpg

68cam454
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Looks great! :twothumbs

Where did you get that filler panel that covers the back of the tail light section.......I want one.

NVMY68SS
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Looks great! :twothumbs

Where did you get that filler panel that covers the back of the tail light section.......I want one.

Thanks. It's been a long wait to finally get these, but it was almost worth the time.........j/k

That panel is part of a kit from Roddoors.com It has molded sides and a back piece that will cover the back of the seat. You have to do a little tweaking to it, but I really like it and it def cleaned up the trunk. http://roddoors.com/pages/camaro.html

Comes in textured black like you see and can be painted, or upholstered.

Good luck.

tombar67
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Very nice

prine68
03-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I got a quick question. I got the gas cap installed today and was wondering if you just run the vent line tube down and leave it, or do I need to put something on the end of it. I ran it down behind the license plate and used a small plastic clamp to hold it there. I'm just not sure if thats the correct way.

Also did anybody use any kind of thread locker on the bolts attaching the cap the flange? I'm just worried they'll work loose after time.

Other than that it went on pretty simple, it's a nice addition.

67SSDan
03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Just found this thread... this makes me happy! I'll be ordering mine soon enough.

darren@ridetech
04-03-2009, 06:24 AM
We did not put anything on the end of the line.