PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E info request

my72vette454
02-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I picked up a 4L80E from a 94 chevy 2 wheel drive pickup. I want to use it in my turbo vette. I need to rebuild it and I was wondering whats a good place to pick up an overhaul kit for it? I want to good clutches and bands as well as switching all the plastic thrust washers out for steels, ect. What would be a good lockup converter to run that will give me about 2500 stall. Looking for 1000 hp as my max output.

Mike

myclone
02-27-2005, 03:31 PM
The cheapest place Ive found so far for quality rebuild kits is here:
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=2468
Just make sure you have the correct 80E trans as there are two models and this kit is for the MT1. The other model is an MD6 (I think) which I havent found anyone making a kit for it yet although I havent looked really hard at this point either.

BTW, since you picked up a pre 95 unit be SURE to put in new shift solenoids since there was an issue with the older units exh port getting plugged with sludge then blowing the case passage out because the fluid had nowhere to exhaust to. Putting in new shift solenoids cures that problem since the replacements have been redesigned.

Ive been using Transtar kits for about five years now in 700R4s without issue in moderate hp builds and if the trans itself was more beefy it could prolly be built to hold more tq using the same kit.

As far as replacing the thrust washers with needle bearings I havent gotten that for on a 4L80E so Im not much help there and there are a few companies that are making hi po torque converters for the 80E but Im at work right now and dont have that info with me so when I get home in the AM I will dig up what I have and pass it along. Keep in mind the torque converters are VERY spendy compared to the 700R4/TH350/TH400.

my72vette454
03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
So is this kit a regular kit or a performance one?

EFI69Cam
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I picked up a 4L80E from a 94 chevy 2 wheel drive pickup. I want to use it in my turbo vette. I need to rebuild it and I was wondering whats a good place to pick up an overhaul kit for it? I want to good clutches and bands as well as switching all the plastic thrust washers out for steels, ect. What would be a good lockup converter to run that will give me about 2500 stall. Looking for 1000 hp as my max output.

Mike

Hughes makes good 4L80e converters. I have their 2500 in my 4L80e

camrat68
03-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Try this....http://http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=22

edit-Link doesn't work. Try Pro-built.net. Go to their online catalog, rebuild kits, GM, 4L60E.

my72vette454
03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I been doin a little reading here and there and it sounds like people have pretty good luck with just the stock transmissions anyway. i think I will rebuild it to stock specs using a regular kit and see what happens. I read an article about a guy that used a buick v6 lockup converter with a 2500 stall speed with good results behind a 1300 hp small block.

myclone
03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I been doin a little reading here and there and it sounds like people have pretty good luck with just the stock transmissions anyway. i think I will rebuild it to stock specs using a regular kit and see what happens. I read an article about a guy that used a buick v6 lockup converter with a 2500 stall speed with good results behind a 1300 hp small block.

GM rates the 80E for over 600ft/lbs and Im sure theyre rating is conservative. To answer your question about whether the transtar kit is high perf or not it isnt but I dont know of anyone that offers a high po kit right off.

As for converters Hughes, Yank, and TCS make stall coverters but none of them are cheap (expect to pay around $1k give or take).

I cant verify whether the Buick V6 converters will work on an 80E or not but an educated guess is that they wont since the Buicks use a 200R4 which has the same input shaft/stator support as the early 700R4 (the small one). Ive never compared the two input shafts but something tells me that GM wouldnt put a 600+ft/lb rating on that small input shaft unless they wanted to pay through the nose in warranty claims from all the heavy duty/motor home owners that snapped the input shaft.

P.S. Sorry for not getting back sooner as this post slipped my mind. Old age catching up to me I guess :) .

Kenova
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
From what I've read, the 4l80e will take quite a beating in stock form. Here's a link that may be of some use to you, even if it's just for ideas.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm

Ken

patriot68
03-23-2005, 09:07 PM
you can get raybestos blue or alto red eagle clutches for these units..also heavy duty sprags ... kevlar band..shift kit ....i have bought parts from these guys ...http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm

my72vette454
03-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Thats quite the website, they have lots of parts and info on there...looks like a good place to shop! Thanks for the info everybody!!

MIke