PDA

View Full Version : pic of factory ac car with vintage air ?

datsbad
02-26-2005, 10:48 AM
i want to see what a factory firewall looks like with vintage air installed . not sure if i want to smooth it and use a compac unit or keep it stock and use the kit made for a factory ac car . thanks in advance

Modo Innovations
02-27-2005, 02:40 PM
I used the Sure Fit kit and smoothed the firewall. The instructions tell you to move over a couple of inches from the large rectangle hole in the firewall and drill about a 4" hole to route the heater hoses through. I routed all 4 hoses through the blower motor hole. I think it looks alot better.

Rileys68Camaro
02-27-2005, 07:20 PM
What did you use to protect the hoses going through the blower hole?

Sweet!

sporter
02-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Here is the VA kit on my 67 Firebird. Everything with a white arrow is a VA item. I was a little disappointed they require you to cover two huge holes and then cut two new holes in the firewall. Also, they give you a metal plate to cover the vent hole (cool area) but a plastic one to cover the big hole near the engine (hot area).

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Modo Innovations
02-28-2005, 03:20 AM
What did you use to protect the hoses going through the blower hole?
I used a piece that comes with the VA kit and turned around backwards. It presses into the blower motor hole real nice.
Shannon

Jeff67RS
03-11-2005, 05:32 AM
I am in the same situation. Mine is an original A/C car and I went with the sure-fit system as well. I was really unhappy with the cheap-looking plastic pieces and the fill-a-hole then drill-a-hole instructions. I ordered a DSE firewall fill plate through the group purchase and will be installing one of the 4-line aluminum bulkhead setups that Viintage Air offers. I will spend a little more on the parts and their braided hose kit, but I think it will look much cleaner in the end. I don't have any pictures yet.

MrQuick
03-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah the plastic stuff is real CHEEZY and the set up does look a lot better with a bulk head. For you guys running your lines through the heater hole, try to plan ahead for hose replacment, dropping a fender well to get to the hoses is a real pain. BTDT...bulk heads aren't that exspensive to use, might save you some skin and a can of touch up paint in the future. If you still insist on running the lines there, how about metal pipes that runs from the kick panel to the space right above the frame between the body and fender well.

Hey Jeff, you gonna make it out to Pleasanton next week end?

Jagarang
03-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Shannon!! You've got PM. Contact me.

scogin918
03-25-2005, 04:44 AM
Can you use a line block/bulkhead to run the hoses throught the firewall? Also, i installed a 2002 LS1. Can i use the stock compressor or do I have to use the one in the kit? will the one in the kit work with the LS1?

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
04-08-2005, 10:00 PM
The LS-1's use a variable output compressor that will not work withthe vintage air unit, But NO Worries. Vintage air has a compressor bracket to use the sanden compressor with the LS-1's factory serpentine set up. You just need to specify if the LS-1 cam out of a Camaro or Vette.

camarosrlyf
05-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Pics look great Shannnon,
How did you deal with the bolt from the VA unit through
the firewall, on a smooth firewall?

Thanks
Tom :hammer:

Modo Innovations
05-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks Tom,
I made a bracket that mounts to the top of the dash (cowl panel) and comes down to the VA unit. The bracket was just a simple sheet metal piece.
Shannon

Rileys68Camaro
06-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Tell me more about the bulk head?

Thanks!

Rileys68Camaro
08-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Anyone else? They hacked my firewall, and I'm trying to decide if I can live with it to get the car on the road, of fix it now and delay for another year? or so.