PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen drum hub on 2nd gen spindle

1977nova
02-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I was wondering if a 1st gen drum brake hub would work on a 2nd gen spindle. I am trying to put c4 brakes on my 1977 nova and I have found that by machining off the rotor I could use that as a hub. I would like to use the drum brake hub as it would make the front stance narrower and then I woulndt have to use such a deep inside offset. If you dont know already the fron of a nova is wider than the rear and I want to use wheels with all the same offset so I can rotate them easier. I want to run 15x8 wheels all the way around and use the corvette c4 conversion with 12'' rotors. One last question would be where could I get a braket for 12'' brakes? I only see ones for 13".

Thank you for the help.

SHANE 73Z
02-26-2005, 04:54 PM
I need a little background info. Does your 1977 Nova have the same front suspension as a second gen camaro???? If that is the case I have a good idea for you.

The only variations in second gen spindles is the diameter of the spindle shaft itself at the outer bearing. The cars used either an A2 or A3 outer bearing. The rotors and the bore the outer bearing race fits into are physically the same size for second gen f-body, third gen f-body, and most B-body cars.

The mounting flange on a standard (single piston) third gen rotor is further inboard than that of a stock second gen f-body. If you machined the friction surface off of this rotor you will gain approx 1/4" to 1/2" Go find yourself a junkyard third gen and the proper outer bearing and you are rockin.

Hope that helped,
Shane

David Pozzi
02-26-2005, 05:03 PM
The second gen spindle is longer but uses the same bearings. The 1st gen hub won't work.
You can buy second gen hubs in steel from Coleman racing. Check that it isn't 5 on 5 though. They do custom stuff, so you could special order anything you want.

1977nova
02-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Thank you very much.