PDA

View Full Version : Would I have any adverse effects

GMracer
10-29-2008, 06:15 PM
If I were to mount my parallel 4link on my axle with the upper bar pivot point in front of the axle midway, and the lower one lower down, not changing any angles, just moving the mounting point son the axle. I don't see why it would hurt anything but just curious. I drew a quick sketch to explain
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/10/4linkexplanation-1.jpg

silver69camaro
10-30-2008, 05:14 AM
What are your plans for the vehicle?

mongoose
10-30-2008, 05:17 AM
moving the mounts around will have some effect... if it's for the better it depends on what you'll be doing with the car... and how much it will effect it.. i don't know.. =/.

GMracer
10-31-2008, 01:24 PM
its not going to be autoX'd or anything, just a street machine, but I want it to handle well and still be able to hook at the strip. I only ask because of clearance issues.

Denvervet
10-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm no engineer but know a little about physical forces. But if your schematics are fairly accurate the angles are less important then the positioning relative to the center of the differential tube (axles). I hope someone smarter than me chimes in here....but ...picture your hands holding onto the diff the way the rods are depicted. The top one more evenly stablilizes it the bottom pic will stabilize more so in one direction of rotational forces. Ultimately it all depends on all the parts that are connected to the diff and not just the rod postioning. When in dout I'd either contact some place like Chassisworks or at least look at their setups and do a little homework. .... Or just do it as you depicted and see if it all works ok. Good luck

GMracer
10-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Well I have seen plenty of different ways to in mounting like I pictured, but the second picture represents a lot fo the clearance oriented 4links ran in air ride systems, where performance isn't key. I do agree with you and thought the same exact way about it, in which is why I posted up the question.

funbnme
11-01-2008, 07:52 AM
In your modified drawing, I think when the rear end is twisting, that all the force would be absorbed by the lower link and the top one would be along just for the ride.

I don't think the top link would really be providing much resistance against the twisting, but would probably provide more resistance if the rear end were moving forward toward the front of the car.

How that would effect handling beats me, but just thinking about the purpose of those links (to prevent the axle from twisting), I don't know if it's ideal.

Even so, I'd probably still better than a typical leaf spring setup which doesn't have any type of upper link to stop the twisting.

GMracer
11-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks man, yea I've been messing around with a couple different setups. I think I'm going to end up with straight lower bars and then the upper bars triangulate and meet above the pumpkin.

venturabeachpup
11-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Just a thought.... In your modified diagram, if the axle rotates enough to put the center of the upper link below the center of the axle, it seems that you would basically end up with 2 lower links???