PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new custom frame

67goatman455
10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Well, to make a long story short, my 67 GTO needs a new frame. I'm considering of getting an entire new custom built frame. i have looked at the Jeff Schwartz frame, but those seem to be highly priced due only being able to use their suspension, and other parts, which brings the grand total through the roof. I am looking for a few other companies that i can bolt up aftermarket suspension components made for a 67 gto specifically, yet still have better features than stock. I am only 20, and moving back in with my mom just so i can get my baby back on the road as soon as possible, and even though its only been 3 days i want to drive her again. thanks guys.

mongoose
10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
probably the reason they use their own stuff is it's superior to what is out there for gto's atm..

half.. the reason you would get totally after market frame is to improve suspension geometry it self. thus need new designed parts... which are probably stronger and lighter at the same time.

i know art morrison has frames... but they use their own stuff as well... or newer corvette stuff as an option.

look at it this way... how much are you going to spend on all the new suspension parts anyways? now decuct that from the price of the frame... and that's what the frame is costing... since you're spending money on suspension bits either way.

67goatman455
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
well i think i am getting a little too far ahead of myself for what i think i will be able to afford, i think i will try to find a convertible frame chassis, modify it to what i want, (coil-over setup, watts-link, ect..) and also be a little quicker to acquire the funds for it. sorry for the useless goose-chase, i'm a little anxious to get her back on the road.

67bird
10-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Have you looked at the new stuff that DSE came out with? Also, check out ATS and SC&C. The last two shops are supporters of the sight and have really good products. I am using ATS stuff on my project as well as DSE for the rear. I would recommend any of the three. I have no experience with Morrison or Schwartz. Any of the three mentioned will have parts that bolt to you stock frame, and will have improvements. Their parts are bolt ons so you can add as your budget and time allows.

67goatman455
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Have you looked at the new stuff that DSE came out with? Also, check out ATS and SC&C. The last two shops are supporters of the sight and have really good products. I am using ATS stuff on my project as well as DSE for the rear. I would recommend any of the three. I have no experience with Morrison or Schwartz. Any of the three mentioned will have parts that bolt to you stock frame, and will have improvements. Their parts are bolt ons so you can add as your budget and time allows.

thanks for the info, i already knew most of that, but thanks. i'm not that big of a newb, haha

frankenstang
10-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I think you REALLY need to call my buddy Jeff Schwartz and discuss the options he has for the frame. When you get down to brass tacks as it were, the prices are reasonable. Plus you can buy it bare and try to save some money if you want. Then purchase more parts as money allows. Last I heard, the one you need is in stock, I could be wrong. I have personally assembled a few of these for him and can attest to the quality of the parts used. And if you ask Randy Johnson, the handling ain't bad either. I wish there was one for the 79+ mustang crowd!!

67goatman455
10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
don't get me wrong, i would, DIE for one of his frames, i never seen a rolling frame as beautiful as his. i asked him for a quote, and the cost of the frame itself is practically nothing, but once you start to add everything together, (with my income) i would have to take out a 3 year loan on the rolling frame itself, then i still need to buy an LS1, T56, parts car to fix my GTO, and a huge list from there on. i can dream, but its just not realistic for me.

The WidowMaker
10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
theres tons of stuff involved with getting done what you want done to your stock frame. so far ive cut the uca crossmember out, moved my ucas to parallel, had all new brackets water jetted from my custom cad files, built a watts, installed coilovers, cut the trans tunnel, cut the trunk floor...... and thats just the start. i still need a custom fuel tank and custom tail pipes.

if its your dd, id just look for a new frame and make it work. if its a project car like mine, have fun driving it when youre 30 and its finally done. but it will be a bitchin car and youll learn a ton.

Tim