PDA

View Full Version : Howe dual piston brakes

Ackattack
10-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I put these brake calipers on my truck. My problem is the holes in the calipers is larger than the caliper bolts, so the calipers rattle around (note: no fluid in it yet, new brake pads.....never driven). The calipers don't have grooves in them for the rubber o-rings like the stock calipers do that prevents this.

Is this going to be a problem when I drive it? Is there a way to "cure" this?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/10/CIMG1108-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NIBHSvENZk

DAK
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I have a set of Sierra aluminum calipers that I used a dremel with a ball end to cut grooves for the dampening o-rings. I just picked up a set Howes that I'll do the same. A good machinist could cut grooves which would be much easier than a dremel.:squint: Rattling around on the pins will oblong out the holes.

Apogee
10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I believe aftermarket pins are available that have already been sized and modded for o-rings to make the Howe twin-piston calipers a little more streetable...I think I've most recently read about in on the Impala SS forum (www.impalassforum.com). I'll see if I can't dig up the manufacturer and part number and post back up with that info.

Tobin
KORE3

Ackattack
10-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I got the Howe caliper pins....they're the same size as the stockers. I'll check out the Impala SS forum though. Thanks

Apogee
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Sorry, as it turns out, what I was thinking of was in reference to the Wilwood GMIII caliper, not the Howe. My bad.

I don't know if I'd be daring enough to go the dremel route, but I'd think you could machine either the caliper or the pin easily enough, depending on which way you wanted to go.

Tobin
KORE3

Ackattack
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I was thinking about it, it would be pretty easy to machine in an oring groove into the caliper bolt. The area on the back of the caliper bolt (howe caliper bolt with built in bushing) wouldn't be any weaker than the rest of the bolt since it is a larger diameter.

I was actually thinking the best option would be to have some delrin bushings made that could be press fit into the calipers, and then then bolts just slide through them.

Corn Nova
10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Am I missing something here, or are you supposed to use these bolts with them?
http://www.howeracing.com/Braking/Index-Mounts-Bolts.htm

Ackattack
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
those are the bolts that I'm using. They're the same size as the stock bolts with the bushings.

Corn Nova
10-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Ah, I pulled one from out back and see whats going on. I asked my circle track guy and he said they leave out the rubber bushing/sleeve combo to get any bind out of the caliper so it will float super easy. Running it this way would be okay, but he said the clattering noise would probably drive you nuts. What I would do, is try to machine the calipers to accept the stock rubber isolators and bushings. You know, I've sold tons of Howe and Wilwood fullsize and metric calipers but never realized this was the way they were. The delrin option would work
pretty slick. Unfortunatly I'm not aware of any non-floating aftermarket calipers that are 7" bolt pattern.

Skip Fix
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I have some Wilwood metric for the rear in place of my TA ratchets that are the same way. They rock quit a bit when bolted up. I was actually looking at maybe some slightly tighter brass tubing on the bolt and ream out the caliper to press fit it.

79T/Aman
11-01-2008, 05:22 AM
on a side note I ran those on my T/A and the line inlet needed to be relocated from the rear of the caliper to the top (drill and tap between the pistons) the reason for this was that at full or near full lock the fitting was under the frame and if you were to go up a ramp or a driveway curb (VERY likely scenario) the fitting could get sheared off especialy on lowered cars