PDA

View Full Version : ATS spindle/SSBC brake kit ?

Rick Dorion
10-28-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm mapping out my brake appoach on my new 68 project and was thinking of Tyler's spindle with the SSBC brakes using some old school 15" rims. On the SSBC site I see the rotors are .875" thick. Is this an issue? TIA.

chicane67
10-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Rick... if you get them, put the wheels on and never again look at the caliper when you apply the brakes. Just trust me on this...

mongoose
10-31-2008, 08:55 PM
i have a feeling something not pretty happens?

Rick Dorion
11-01-2008, 03:49 AM
I think the opposite. I'm reading Tom's response as it's a good combo. Tyler also chimed in that for street use it works well. I'm trying real hard to be clear on a budget build at this time. My start is a 68 which is very clean and solid. Appreciate all inputs!

mongoose
11-01-2008, 04:01 AM
well since you're going with the ATS spindle.

you could look into the corvette stuff....

about a grand all in.. don't know how that compares to the ssbc pricing... but it was good enough for me to take that route.

Rick Dorion
11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Understood! I need to map out total costs since I will need a wheel/tire package too.

chicane67
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM
I think the opposite. I'm reading Tom's response as it's a good combo. Tyler also chimed in that for street use it works well. I'm trying real hard to be clear on a budget build at this time. My start is a 68 with is very clean and solid. Appreciate all inputs!

No... not opposite. Just dont look at them with pressure applied without a wheel being on. And dont use them too hard... I dont want to see what happens at that point... and niether do you.

For the money... I'd really be looking at the smaller diameter OEM Corvette components... but then there goes the 15" wheel idea. :squint:

79T/Aman
11-01-2008, 12:11 PM
all new technology "self clearanceing"

Rick Dorion
11-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Tom. SSBC gets a pretty price for that setup too. Since I have a set of C5 calipers on the shelf, I'll look at a larger rim/tire package. Appreciate the heads-up.

andrewb70
11-02-2008, 06:20 AM
.....Since I have a set of C5 calipers on the shelf, I'll look at a larger rim/tire package. Appreciate the heads-up.

Good OEM parts are always a good choice. 17" wheels and tires are very common. I bet you will have a harder time finding good 15" tires then you would 17". For inexpensive wheels look at some OEM alternatives. BMW wheels are always an option as well.

Andrew

Rick Dorion
11-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks, Andrew. I like BMW rims! Good suggestions.

BonzoHansen
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I have read where the SSBCs don't fit under some 15" rims anyway, if that makes you feel better. :).

Rick Dorion
11-03-2008, 04:55 AM
I feel better :)

83hurstguy
11-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Is there any chance the Blazer front brake setup would bolt to the ATS spindles, potentially with a flat adapter bracket? That should clear 15's and be pretty cheap, if somebody had to go that route...

andrewb70
11-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Is there any chance the Blazer front brake setup would bolt to the ATS spindles, potentially with a flat adapter bracket? That should clear 15's and be pretty cheap, if somebody had to go that route...

The problem is not so much the diameter as the caliper and rotor depth. The C5/C6 rotors are very shallow. There are no good options for small rotors. Any rotors that are available have too much offset and the rotor itself hits the cast caliper mounting lugs on the ATS spindle. By the time you go through all the headache of custom this and fancy that, you end up with brakes that are worse than stock C5 brakes and wheels that have no performance tires available. It is all a false savings. Best bang for the buck = ATS spindles/C5 brakes/OEM 17" or 18" wheels/good inexpensive tires, such as Kumho or Falken.

Andrew

Rick Dorion
11-03-2008, 07:24 AM
And adapters too I think for a total cost.

chicane67
11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Adapters ??

mongoose
11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
you need adapters to mount vette/bmw wheels....

at least in most cases.

chicane67
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Ahhhhhh... I was still in brake caliper mode... not wheel fitment. :scared:

mongoose
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
you could probably fit adapters under the rotors... to clear it... but thats abit mickey mouse.

DarkoNova
11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I thought I would actually be saving some money by going with the Touring Classics setup since I got some BMW wheels with tires for $600, but after paying around $300 for the Skulte adapters (amazing pieces, definitely worth it), I didn't really save much, if anything.

Still, it's always cooler to see massive brakes that fill the wheels. :headbang:

Matt

Rick Dorion
11-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Matt. Even with a wash the BMW rims are great and on my short list. What size and where did you get the rims? My fever's kicking in!

83hurstguy
11-04-2008, 06:29 AM
The problem is not so much the diameter as the caliper and rotor depth. The C5/C6 rotors are very shallow. There are no good options for small rotors. Any rotors that are available have too much offset and the rotor itself hits the cast caliper mounting lugs on the ATS spindle. By the time you go through all the headache of custom this and fancy that, you end up with brakes that are worse than stock C5 brakes and wheels that have no performance tires available. It is all a false savings. Best bang for the buck = ATS spindles/C5 brakes/OEM 17" or 18" wheels/good inexpensive tires, such as Kumho or Falken.

Andrew

Interesting. Gotcha...

The Blazer rotors are actually pretty shallow... I have them for my H/O, was surprised at that. I don't have a C5 rotor for comparison.

I was wondering about interchangability, b/c I know you can take the Blazer spindles, slide a C5 rotor on, and bolt on a C5 caliper with just a flat adapter to relocate the abutment holes... I have the blazer brakes now so they will clear my stock H/O wheels. If I find a bigger set of wheels I like and can afford, I'll go to C5's, just change the rotor, bolt on a flat bracket, and bolt on the C5 caliper setup.

I had a good picture, I just can't find it now.

DarkoNova
11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Matt. Even with a wash the BMW rims are great and on my short list. What size and where did you get the rims? My fever's kicking in!

Someone on the forum was selling a set. He had them on his 67 Camaro but he decided to go a different route so I picked em up mint condition with new tires for $600. They're E46 M3 wheels, I think 18x8 fronts and 18x9 rears.

I originally got them just as some cheap wheels to clear the brakes, but after I put them on they really grew on me. I think they look awesome. :bananna2:

Matt