PDA

View Full Version : 1988 monte carlo LS-potential??

Wade
10-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Well, my brother in law offered me his car for $350. It's a 1988 Monte Carlo LS, 305/auto.

The bad, he was showing off for his cousins and spinning the tires on a gravel driveway. Needless to say, the power of the 305, open differential, and bald rear tires was enough for him to park it in a ditch.

It's going to need a new front bumper cover, passenger side fender, windshield, and a dent pulled out of the passenger side door.

I've always liked these cars, and have noticed that they are getting a little bit harder to find.

Would this car be worth it to pick up as a project? I have not found a good source for the replacement parts yet.

shep
10-26-2008, 08:24 AM
If it is running and driving for $350 I would get it.

CRCRFT78
10-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I agree, if its running pick it up. The potential for these cars is amazing. Search Monte Carlo (G-body) on this site and you'll get an idea of what can be done to the Monte Carlo. Suspension mods, LSx motors, 5/6 speed swaps, the list goes on & on.

Steven
10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Great platform to start with. Check out SC&C on this site to make it handle and go to montecarloss.com for links for G-body parts. Body and trim parts can be found at opg.com. Good luck.

CRCRFT78
10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Start here G-Body (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23398) and you can see the various options.

megaladon6
10-26-2008, 05:20 PM
it's a 3000lb, full frame, RWD car. some hot rods only meet one of those and they're a lot more common. people have put in everything from souped up v6's to LSx motors, to 500ci cadillac motors. they're nothing if not versatile :)
some parts are a little hard to find, but the aftermarket support is picking up quickly.

zerotofear
10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Checkout www.smokinss.info (http://www.smokinss.info), we started with a LS305 car.

TPI Monte SS
10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a good project to start with if that's the only body damage. Look for rust/rot in the rear frame rails, lower door seams, and floors. If those spots all check out and the interior is decent enough, pick it up! You should be able to find replacement body parts from someone over at www.montecarloss.com in the Classified section. There's also a ton of tech on that site (Monte specific) and quite a few of us on this site have Montes or other G-bodies in various stages of Pro-touring. Personally, I've owned Montes and other G-bodies for most of my driving years. I bought my first '85 SS in 1991 after I turned 18 and have owned "a few" more since then. ;)