PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle Air Ride spindles ?

LSXfan
10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
have been reading around concerning air suspension and early Chevelles and noticed alot of talk about changing spindles, can anyone explain the issues ? I have a 64 Chevelle that I will be installing an Air Ride setup on, currently leaning toward the Shockwave system with upper/lower Strong Arms for the front and single adjustable shocks and the Cool Ride system for the rear. Thanx

Brad

darren@ridetech
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
With factory geometry the camber becomes positive during suspension compression.(Top of the wheel pushes out.) To keep the tire flat on the pavement you actually need negative camber gain (top of the tire leans in).

This is determined by the angle of the upper control arm. With the stock height spindle the upper arm is running down hill from the frame out to the ball joint. So when the suspension compresses the arm effectively becomes longer, pushing the top of the spindle out. Our spindles are about 2" taller, which positions the upper arm pointing up hill slightly. So when the suspension compresses the upper arm becomes effectively shorter, pulling the top of the spindle in and maintaing maximum tire to pavement contact.

In short.....it makes you faster!

LSXfan
10-25-2008, 10:49 AM
thanx, also got my answer on ART forums