PDA

View Full Version : possibly a dumb question

kman67rsss
02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
can a power steering box be plugged and used as a non-power box? i was told that i could plug the pressure and return line with some large pipe plugs and be done with it instead of buing a new pump and relocating my alt.

if this cant be done what else needs to be changed to go from power to manuel steering and what should be used for fluid in a manuel box?

MrQuick
02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
its not dumb just, well I don't know, its something. I would not plug the ports, that would blow your seals out by the time you get out of the driveway...don't ask how I know that. Instead thread your pipes and run a hose from one fitting to the other...don't ask how I know that too. ; )

kman67rsss
02-25-2005, 06:08 AM
so basically run a jumpper from one port to the other on the box. why would it blow the seals if there is nothing comming in or going out? what should be used as fluid?

MrQuick
02-25-2005, 08:12 AM
quote: why would it blow the seals if there is nothing comming in or going out? If you ever turning your box with the hoses disconnected you will see why.
quote: what should be used as fluid? I just used power steering fluid. Disconnected the lines then popped them on, did not measure. Just a note: This isn't the proper way to run a sterring box but it will get you around...slightly more effort than a manual. I drove around with this Jerry rig for 2 years with no problems. But then I also drove a bug with no starter! :screwy:

daryn67
02-25-2005, 08:22 AM
It will work, but you are way better off to use a manual box. the steering on a power box without assist is way harder then a manual. need to change caster settings too, just so you can manhandle the thing.

Daryn

kman67rsss
02-25-2005, 12:56 PM
ok, so if i change to a manual box what else needs to be changed?

68BNUT
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Im pretty sure your pitman arm will have to be changed.

67bird
02-26-2005, 02:28 PM
You may also want to check the steering rag joint spline count.

kman67rsss
03-08-2005, 04:37 PM
what is the differance from a power steering pitman arm and a manual arm?

also i see some that are 5 3/4 inches and are around $175 while the ones that are 5 1/4 inches are around $80 whats the difference. can i use a shorter arm or will that 1/2 inch differance kill me?