PDA

View Full Version : The PT Chevette continues...

406ben
02-24-2005, 11:44 AM
:help!: Some of you have seen my posts on the turbo 4.3 '83 Pro-Touring Chevette I'm working on. This week I scored a rear for it, swapped the guy a Holley I'm not using anymore for it. He said it's a 9" from a 75 Lincoln. The only brake parts on the housing are disc brake type brackets bolted to the housing at the tube ends. However there isn't any bracketry for calipers or any brake hardware with it. A friend told me it was for sure a 9" because the bottom two carrier housing bolts require a wrench rather than a socket to remove because of clearance problems. I'm not Ford Savvy at all, so I don't know much about this rear. The tag has the following stamped on it:

Any insight on what these numbers mean?
WGB-AD 7DD
2.75 9 466A

It appears to have a 5 on 5" (?) bolt pattern. I'll need narrowed axles with a 5 on 4.5 pattern, and will be narrowing the housing quite a bit from it's 63" width. What's a good source for axles? I expect roughly 350-400 hp at the wheels, car will weigh in about 2200, so nothing extra beefy is necessary.

Any sources out there for the missing parts for the brakes?

I'd like to have one carrier for daily driving and probably run a mini spool in a spare carrier with a 3.73-4.10 gear for the track. Not many older cars in the wrecking yards here in Utah, but there's plenty of old trucks. -Is there a good source for junkyard center sections, i.e. certain year trucks (or cars)?
-What do I look for to make sure it's a 9"?
-Will I have to match up splines or anything like that or are all 9" centers created equal?
-Any quick way to determine a posi without having to lift the tires off the ground?

Thanks so much for any info you guys can share with this Ford ignorant Chevy guy!!:rolleyes5

Q ship
02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/9inford.aspx
I don't know too much about the 9's, but this link is a good starting point.