PDA

View Full Version : PHRs Project g/28

OLDFLM
02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Anyone read Part 1 of PHRs Project g/28???

It'll be interesting to follow along to see what kinda g's they can get out of a 2nd gen F-body!! I followed Ken Crocie's advice (HO Racing) for my 72 Formula in the early 90s and couldn't be happier with my suspension/handling!

Would be interesting if some of you suspension designers/geometric wizards (Dennis???) could comment on PHRs article as they progress through the project!

I did a full PST rebuild on my front end with the poly-graphite bushings everywhere... huge difference over my shot stock rubber! I also installed their sway bars front and rear to get up to (beyond?) WS6 specs.

I was about to install PSTs lowered springs when I called Ken Crocie (back when HO Racing was still open) and he recommended HOs increased spring rate springs which dropped my front 1.5-2 inches by the time it settled. Great handling car!! But ready to upgrade it more...
Guldstrand mod?? Koni (red) shocks all around ($100 each)???
I also went with the KYB shocks all around, so I'm very interested to see what improvements PHRs before and after testing illustrates!

I like that PHR is not going the QA1s with mini-tubs, tubular upper and lowers route. Not all of us have the funds (or time) that some of the lucky folks on here do... Yodi, "you're my (2nd Gen Firebird) hero!!!"

The first mod they did was to install the fat tires and big rims on a sloppy suspension? I wonder how cut up the tires will be by the time the upgrades are installed?? I'm thinking seriously about upgrading my rims/tires to 245/45/17s front (maybe 255/40/18s) and 285/40/18s rear. I personnally don't like the 35-series rears they're planning to run.
Still a firm beleiver that muscle cars need some sidewall height to look right!

I'll bet PHRs new tires have cut up sidewalls by the time they install all the new suspension goodies that would have prevented it too!

My other bet is that they go with the $200 seats from Summit... funny how they complain about the interior in the article, but what do they expect from a 1974 Camaro that they bought for $2300?

Would love to see comments here on the PHR project and more advice/thoughts on 2nd Gen handling!!!

V/R,
Ty