PDA

View Full Version : Changing directions, Need some opinions please

makoshark
02-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Ok, here`s the deal. I have a 67 camaro that I have been working on for a while. The plans I had for the car was for a factory looking car with some modern updates and feel to it. I have an edelbrock TPI setup, 700r4, 12 bolt factory posi rearend and 4 wheel GM disc brakes that I made that was going to go onto this car. I was going to leave the factory black deluxe interior stock which I have already purchased all new pieces to restore it and use the brand new 15" ralleys with BFG radial T/A`s for it. I also have a full hotchkis suspension and have done the Guldstrand mod on the now completed fully welded subframe. I think you can see the direction I was going with this car.
I aquired a 69 camaro that I was wanting to do a more radical protouring setup on, but have now decided to scrap that car since my recent purchase of a 17,000 mile 01 WS6 T/A. I have already bought most of the sheetmetal that needed to be replaced on the 69. Complete set of C5 brakes front and rear, LS1 motor and 6 speed trans and a Currie aluminum 9 inch rearend. That`s as far as I have gotten with the 69. Something needs to go, so I figured the 69 would, but I don`t want to get rid of my LS1 motor, trans, brakes and rear that I bought for it.
I`m thinking, now, about minitubbing the 67 and putting 17 or 18" wheels on it, using my C5 brakes, LS1, 6 speed and aluminum rear on it. Also, I`m thinking about taking one of my spare subframes and fully boxing it with metal, not body filler and maybe doing the full DSE treatment to my spare frame. I am not interested in going with an aftermarket frame. I am wondering though, is it worth doing all that work to the front stock subframe and then still retaining the leaf spring rear suspension? What is everyone`s thoughts on this? I gotta kill one of these projects and I have alot more time and money in my 67 really to say bye to it now and the 69 needs alot of work just to get it up to where my 67 is now, which is still on my rotisserie. I gotta get back to work on it. I need inspiration!!!

MrQuick
02-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Is there a reason why you can't do both?
How much closer is the 67? How about finish the 67 with the fore mentioned plan, then do the 69 full tilt since it needs mucho work.
Try to plan as much as the build as you can and try your best to follow it.

makoshark
02-23-2005, 11:06 PM
As much as I would love to do both cars, time, money and space are the reasons why I am thinking about scrapping the 69. At this point, I don`t see it being an option to me anymore doing them both. With the addition of my T/A, I am out of space and possibly moving within a year, so building a shop out back, which is what my intentions were are just not feasable.

Payton King
02-24-2005, 07:39 AM
If you have the cash get a 21st century sub frame. I am getting/have one on my 69 camaro. It has an ls1/t56 combo as well. The subrame uses C5 parts. Go to www.lateral-g.net and go to the open discussion and go down to the "driving Impressions of the 21st..." It has pics of there subframe. I can email you pics of mine as well.

Payton

How bad and how much for the 69? Where do you live?

makoshark
02-24-2005, 03:00 PM
As I stated in my original post, I am not interested at all in an aftermarket subframe. I am just not wanting to spend that kind of money for something like that. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Anyone that wants to ask about parts that I may have for sale, then pm me or email me please. I`d love to hear some suggestions and opinions please.

baz67
02-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Yes you can ge a very capable car with just leafs in the back. That is what the Red Witch and The Thrasher both did as well as most first gens on this site. You would need to get the correct rate to match the front.

Brian

JamesJ
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I am not sure what you are asking here. You can put the 69 drive train in the 67 if that is one of your ideas. I would just sell the 69 and do the 67 unless you just need to have a "69" Just use all the good parts on the 67 and sell the rest.

makoshark
02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
I`m thinking about taking one of my spare subframes and fully boxing it with metal, not body filler and maybe doing the full DSE treatment to my spare frame. I am not interested in going with an aftermarket frame. I am wondering though, is it worth doing all that work to the front stock subframe and then still retaining the leaf spring rear suspension? I already have front and rear hotchkis springs. Already rebuilt a subframe with the guldstrand mod and fully welded seams.