PDA

View Full Version : '68 Camaro, T-56 Shifter location

Jim68nC
02-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Was wondering what the general concesus is on the shifter location (without changing the tail housing) for a Lt1 t-56 install? I'm not concerned about using the stock console (the one I have isn't in that great of shape anyway) but rather just the comfortability factor really. I'm 5'10" and typically have the seat all the way back.
I was out in the garage doing a quick measure the other day being concerned about it, (the interior is currently out though) and judging on the where I think it will eventual come through - it seemed like it should be fine. Although, I've done alot of reading where folks are spending alot of money to move the shifter forward 2" and what not. Thought I'd toss it out here and see what you think, thanks for any comments.

[still in the tear down and parts collection phase]

TitoJones
02-24-2005, 05:05 AM
I need to put this to rest now, once and for all.

(I'm not directing this at you, but making a statement for all to see.)

Everyone gets all worried that the shifter on the T56 is too far back for comfort, and that it won't feel right.

The stick on the original 3/4spd cars were curved rearward to make shifting easier. If you took the ball of a 4spd car in neutral and put a stick straight down, that is where the T56 comes through. Same spot as a 4spd in relation to the ball, but the stick isn't curved forward, and the throw on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears aren't as far as the old Muncie is.
Here are some pics for reference:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

The ball is almost parallel to the end of the steering wheel, and when you take your hand off the wheel to shift, it naturally falls right on to it.

Hope that clears it up for everyone.

Tyler

Jim68nC
02-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Tyler, I appreciate the response. I was actually looking at those photos last night from your site. At the risk of sounding stupid ahead of time, I just had to ask. Seemed like some folks are spending serious money to move it inches where I just wasn't seeing the need (no console concern here).

Anyway, you've put it to rest for me, thanks again.

Tim_in_NC
02-25-2005, 07:45 AM
What if you decide to go with a '68 center console...how much will this affect the correct feel of the shifter location?

I was thinking of going with a console and the T56. However, if the console is a bad idea due to shifter location, this idea can easily be scrapped which will save me $200 - $300 on the console.... :smoke:

Thanks,
Tim

Jim68nC
02-25-2005, 09:15 AM
If you want the stock center console - your gonna pay some $$$ to get the shifter lined up in there. Its several inches aft the stock location (don't have the exact amount but its greater than 3-4") Seems tail housing and shifter offset brackets will get you there, but that tail housing isn't cheap (IMHO). In my case, not worth it so long as it is comfortable which it seems it will be. I will most likely build a custom center console when the time comes. I'm not after the stock look here personally.

68protouring454
02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
i believe you can just slide console back a few inches and use the stock one i have sen it done, i cannot remmeber where the pics are
jake

TitoJones
02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
If going the console route, it will be slid back about 3-1/2".

Tyler