PDA

View Full Version : Touring Classics vs. LS1 rear brakes

got6spd?
10-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Basically I'm getting ready to buy my rear brake setup and was wondering which setup to go with.

The TC kit is $800 and comes with every thing I need to run my factory e-brake setup.

The LS1 rear brakes seem like they can be done much cheaper with the same performance characteristics but with a headache to come along with them.

My car (68 camaro) is mini tubbed and has staggered relocated shocks so I'm assuming I could run the LH and RH LS1 brakes straight off of a 98-02 camaro with the proper caliper spacer. I'm just seeing if it's worth it to go used or just by new and be done.

How much is it costing you guys to do the LS1 setup with properly functioning factory ebrake???

Thanks for any input,
Chris

got6spd?
10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
anybody??

1badchevelle
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I would say go with kore3 an talk with Tobin. He will steer you in the right direction and will cost less than trying to pice it yourself.

Apogee
10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Noel at Touring Classics puts together a nice kit and backs it up with excellent customer service. Ask anyone running his stuff. It uses the first gen PBR rear caliper (C4/LT1 F-body) with integral parking brake and has the same size piston (45mm) as the LS1 rear caliper so they balance out similarly. A primary drawback to the C4/LT1 caliper is that it's going to be limited to 20mm thick rotors, whereas the LS1 rear calipers is designed to handle rotors that are 26mm thick, similar to the C5/C6 rears. That said, the rear rotor is still the weak link on the LS1 setup IMHO.

While finding a used LS1 setup can potentially save you money, only if most of the components don't need to be rebuilt or replaced. That can offset most, if not all, of the savings in a hurry. There's something to be said for new components.

Tobin
KORE3

got6spd?
10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
thanks for the replies,

the more I think about it, the more it seems worth the money to just step up and buy new