PDA

View Full Version : 11 Seconds

madmax
02-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

First off I wanted to say hi. I am a new member, even though I have read these boards for a while now. I am also fairly new at PT... I have a '69 Camaro that I will be doing up pretty soon.

I am looking for the best way to have a nice, streetable low 11 - high 10 sec car on the strip. From what I hear, superchargers are nice for street applications because the engine runs very smoothly until you jam your foot down.

How should I start? SBC? BBC? Supercharged? Turbo-charged? I mean the possibilities are endless, but I would like to go for one of the more economical routes. A SBC to save weight? I know I love big blocks (and torque!) but is the extra cost and heavier weight worth it? I also know all-motor beasts are $$$$$$$.... and I wish I had more of it.

What else would I need to do to the car? Im going to put a new GW or DS&E suspension in, big Bear or Wilwood brakes, mini-tubs, drag radials, etc.

Basically it is going to be a weekend cruiser with a wild side. 98% street-driven (an occasional pass at the strip).

How much would the engine/power-adder combo cost? I don't really have an unlimited budget (I wish). Sorry for the post being so long, and sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums.

Oh yeah, do any of you know a decent body shop and/or speed shop in the Tampa area?

And, what the hell. Lets make this a poll.

Thanks for all of your help,
Max

Quick GN
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I as well have the same goals. I am seriosly considering installing a Buick 3.8Turbo in my Camaro. I have a GN as well and it is a very good all around drivetrain (Good on gas, smooth, AC, tons of torque, etc....) My GN runs mid 12's and still gets 25mpg on the highway. I have seen full GN drivetrains on Ebay all the time and there not that expensive, anywhere between $2000 and $4000 depending on condition and mods. I think that I could easily get the camaro in the low 12's with this combo and have a very streetable car, not to mention it is a little more original than a Camaro with a small block!! I have seen many street trim GN's run in the low 11's and there is a local guy around here with a street driven 95' Corvette with a GN engine that's running mid 9's so the sky's the limit :headbang:

ProdigyCustoms
02-23-2005, 03:43 PM
We are in Orlando and build and own 9 second pump gas street cars, and also are a full facility for chassis, paint, etc. We also are a Procharger dealer if you want to go blower.
You can contact us at ProdigyCustoms.com or Four Zero Seven 832 1752. You can go to project updates and see a couple current project under Nubreeds badass 69 and Nubreed and jagarang update.

One Bad 68
02-27-2005, 08:15 AM
All I had was just a BBC. I ran 11.5 all the time with no problem on the street. If you go BBC you better get a good radiator, THey like to run hot in FL. If you want to add a turbo/supercharger you need to make sure you build the engine for the application. With the 11.5 on the motor it self, with a 1.8 60', with a better lauch it would of seen high 10's and a little juice would be deep into the 10's. Just something to think about.

Ricoch3T
02-27-2005, 09:49 AM
I've seen 350's and 383's run 11's here with no problem. Boy i know ran a 12.02 on street tires with a 383 prolly about a year ago with his 68 camaro.

Steve Mac
02-27-2005, 11:35 AM
ProdigyCustoms.com

Hey, for some reason I can't acess that web address.

ProdigyCustoms
02-27-2005, 04:26 PM
The website will be up later this week. We can be reached now at [email protected]

bookends
02-27-2005, 10:27 PM
406 sb with a good set of heads will do it.
my best friend's combo: 406 steel crank, flat top pistons (10.5:1) AFR 210 heads
he runs 10.9 on motor and 9.60 on spray.this is in a 3500 lb car.

madmax
03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm thinking about going with a twin turboed "big-inch" smallblock with a conservative street tune... and with a race tune... my pockets are emptying just thinking about it...

madmax
03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm sure you guys know the feeling, but I think that I may be changing direction. I'm thinking about leaving my idea of road racing applications and going for a big block for streetable fun. Who knows... a turbo may still be in the works. I'm thinking a 454... an engine that should have been available in the camaro... What do you all think?

WELTERRACER
03-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Im currently assembling a Supercharged SBC 355 .. with a ati blower im getting from PRODIGY CUSTOMS...

Mildly tuned it still will make 650 hp.. Good enough for my heavy car to run low 11s.. My car weights 3800lbs with me in it..

add a intercooler and it will make 725HP with still only 10lbs of boost..

You could build the whole SBC with supercharger for around $7000

madmax
03-07-2005, 03:37 PM
That is certainly doable for me. Just have to locate a car now...

68LSS1
03-10-2005, 01:03 AM
I'd go with a LS1 turbocharged. A good set of heads and a cam will get you close if not into the 11's NA. We don't have all the facilities that Prodigy Customs has but we are becoming pretty good at LS1's. Dyno and a local tuner also. You can find us here: Rev Xtreme (http://www.revxtreme.com/store/) and be sure to sign up on the forum as we are local to you (Brandon).

streetk14
03-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Max, you have a number of ways to go about this. I am in the process of planning out my new motor. I currently have a 360ci small block in my '68 that is close to the 500hp mark, and a 100hp shot of nitrous (for a little extra fun). I am getting fed up with it's low-end driveability manners. My next motor is going to be a 383 stroker with a more conservitive roller cam, and a procharger. I am aiming to have a more driveable, yet much more powerful combination. I think a N/A 454 might sacrifice road manners to meet your goal, but it could be done. I can't justify adding the extra weight of a big block to my car. If money was of no concern, I would go twin-turbo small block (LS1 maybe?) for sure.
Good luck,
Andy

madmax
03-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I have thought about this for a while now, and think I may go with a small block with some kind of forced induction to make it have more driveabliity on the street, because, after all, that is where it is going to be most of the time. I'll probably go with a supercharger becuase it is a bit cheaper (even a $1000 difference is important to me!).

Thanks to all that have replied. All the imput I can get is important to me.

Oh, if you come across a '69 body for me to start with, let me know will ya? I've invested hundreds, if not thousands, of hours trying to locate a car on the net. Ive only found over-priced cars or rusty wrecks. :icon996:

Max

rocketman
03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
i run a 396 lt1 in my z-28 w/nos.it's works good too.its runs 11.9's on the motor.my fastest nos run was 10.78 on dr's