PDA

View Full Version : Some arrogance on this site

Pro-touring towncar
08-21-2004, 10:47 AM
I have only been here a couple months but all I seem to get is arrogance from some. I ask something and eather get no respnse or check somewhere else. We have a common interest here Pro-touring cars. Am I getting shunned because I am doing a towncar and not an A or F-body GM. Fine so I have to custom make or adapt things to get them to work. Isn't that what makes up the sport of Hot rodding. Excuse my for being differant.

Tim

nancejd
08-21-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't know that it's arrogance. I can only speak for myself, but I only tend to post when I actually have something to add to the conversation. People might not be answering your question just because the don't know what the answer is.

dennis68
08-21-2004, 11:04 AM
:crying:
OK, OK, fine, I'll admit it. I am somewhat arrogant (what's that mean again). Feel better.:nopity:

Q ship
08-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Tim, I looked through your post history here and the only tech question you had that didn't get answered was the ignition one. I know it feels like doing something differant makes you an "outsider", but if you look at it objectively, a lot of questions are universal to all cars, especially along brand lines. I am currently working on something differant myself, but a lot of Camaro/Chevelle tech is also applicable to a Caprice. I do a lot of lurking on all the boards I'm on, there's a lot of good general tech just floating around out there. I really don't think anyone here is treating you any differant because of what you are working on, I think this is one of the best boards for odd project acceptance. There's a lot of Chevy oriented tech here, but the Ford/Mopar stuff is here-sometimes being patient is a virtue too.

Overall, don't get discouraged or lash out, not all questions get answered but the info is out there.

OHCbird
08-21-2004, 12:37 PM
You've got to understand that there will always be guys who are more visible on boards, and they tend to answer based on thier experiences, likes and dislikes, and opionions. If you really want expertise, you need to go to it- all the 'experts' I know don't have time to hang out on forums all the time (no offense to any of you here, but it's true).

Different? try building an inline 6 that has virtually NO aftermarket (much less factory replacement) support. I had to create my own forum 4 years ago just to weed out the 'old timers' that I could learn a thing or two from. Now add a one-off DFI setup, a turbo (on a non-crossflow head), and a custom (re: nobody wanted to make it for me) billet roller cam and roller followers. You could build a forged SBF shortblock for what I have in my valvetrain alone- not counting the titanium valves.

Dude- I'm not saying "suck it up", or "quit whining"; quite the contrary: I just want to show you that most guys here are very accomodating and will help you when they can. How can a bunch of Fbody guys help ya if they don't have any Towncar experience? Maybe you'll have to be the guy that gets things going for the Towncar crowd.

Radio Joe
08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey man... believe it or not this is one of the least arrogant boards I visit. I am a member of quite a few boards and actually like this one the best. I have been here since the forum started and aint goin anywhere!

Its a good place and people help as much as they can. The majority of people here have Chevys... that limits the knowledge of other makes. BUT be patient and ask what you want to know. You will also want to try and find a forum specifically for your car. When I want info on my corvair engine, I post to the Corvair board.. when I want to do wild modifications, I post here... I get the answers I need and am able to help people on both boards.

Pro-touring towncar
08-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Well I have also had post not answered on the old board too. That aside, The question I asked about ignition system because I figured people here would know about the ignition. The mustang boards are nothing but arrogant Asses. thinking that because I have a lincoln it doesn't matter, being that I have a speed desity car makes it worse. I ask questions here thinking that a car is a car and 80% of the component information will work on any car no matter who made it, imports excepted :) .

Hell I found this site by buying the book How to build GM pro-touring cars. I do not have anything against GM I am accualy watching a 73 Gran Sport 455 that I wil make pro-touring.

Tim

MrQuick
08-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Tim try not to take it personal, I can't really add what has been said previous so I won't bore you with my explanation why some of your questions aren't getting the enthusiasm that it deserves.Well, i'll take a shot. Most don't have the experience of all makes and modifying all makes.Some of us are just going words and experience of other member. Try to hang in there and be patient. We will all try to do our best to help. Vince hey where the hell is the spell check button?????? :hammer:

PeteRR
08-21-2004, 06:36 PM
"It's not easy being green." :rotfl:

Brand-specific engine questions are tough. I wouldn't want to steer you wrong with bad info. I know it can be full of jackasses, but you might try the Corral. There are enough knowledgable guys over there who can answer your engine questions.

If you've got pics of your project or even just what you're hoping to do with your ride, I'd be interested.

CAMAROBOY69
08-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Tim,
Yeah dont take it personal. This is definely the least arrogant site you will ever find. I have never seen so many people give support and feedback as this site does. Everyone here is open minded and doesnt cast anyone out just because they have something different. Like they said above, if people dont know the answer they try not to reply so false feedback isnt received. :icon_razz

zbugger
08-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not arrogant. Just ignorant...

dennis68
08-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not arrogant. Just ignorant...

I can vouch for that.:hah:

jonny51
08-21-2004, 07:43 PM
I can vouch for that.:hah:

So can I :rotfl:

68ls1
08-21-2004, 08:08 PM
My mom always told me, if you can't say something nice, or in this case intelligent or informed, don't say anything at all. I'm here to learn. Once I have learned enough about a subject so as not to sound like an ass, I post replies. I think alot of folks here are of the same train of thought.

Chill, Noel.

TonyHuntimer
08-21-2004, 08:31 PM
You will find some people poke fun, but guys here are not trying to be jerks. We are a big family and try to keep the jerks out.

Sorry if some posts go unanswered. If we don't know, we don't usually answer. It's nothing personal.

:)

Send me an E-mail
[email protected]

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

dennis68
08-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I think just help maintain peice evrybody should answer every post, even if its just with an "I don't know". I'm sure the site could handle al the traffic.

TonyL
08-21-2004, 09:36 PM
I remember replying to one of your threads about a third brake light. I said something like "a town car?"

but i didnt mean it the way it must have came across. you see, there (on the old board) I was known as "Provair" (for the pro-touring Corviar we are working on) And was one of the "wierd" guys for having a non mainstream car, and was noting yours was non mainstream as well.

as you can see by my sig, and my av. that my non mainstream ways havent changed but my name has. Please dont feel that being different is a bad thing. It isnt. Someone had to be different and stop the prostreet craze and this whole thing got started. Being different is cool... :icon996: :icon996: :icon996:

Pro-touring towncar
08-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Well thanks guys. I didn't mean my start in a negitive way. I realize that not everyone knows everything, if we did we wouldn't be here. or would we :hmm: :icon_razz I am a member of more forums that I can check in a day. but Yeah this is informitive.

Maybe tomarrow I will get pics of the towncar and post it.
Tim