PDA

View Full Version : another PCV question

RobM
02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
should i set my PCV up to rought back into the motor for reburn? or should i just vent it out into the open? or maby the exhaust. what would be the advantage of venting into the motor? is ther any?

RobM
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
no one can tell me any thing about this?

CoryM
02-23-2005, 07:00 PM
PCV is only used with vacuum. Otherwise it is just a vent. It it good to use a PCV because it will reduce the crankcase pressure more than just a vent. Your seals will thank you at 5000rpm.

RobM
02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
thats what i needed to hear.

harshman
02-23-2005, 07:28 PM
All my toys have run a crankcase evac system tied to the headers for greater vacuum. Jegs and summit sells 'em and they are very simple to install. It’s an old drag racers thing that seems to work very well.

RobM
02-23-2005, 07:32 PM
i would think putting all of that hot oil vapor into the intake would rob power? id rather rought it right into the exhaust. it there any advantage to going into the car or intake rather then the exhaust?

go-fish
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm going to bump this thread up. I have been looking into the crankcase evac method as well for my build.
I have a D1-SC ProCharger and didn’t want to run a PCV to the air hat. From what I have found out after exhaustive internet searches is that it is best to have:
A. Open exhaust or straight through style muffs. Backpressure can reverse the flow and pressurize your crankcase if the one-way valve on the kit fails. Also regular muffs have been known to collect the oily vapors and smoke.
B. Run the evac kits on both sides and place the tubes in you collectors at the correct angle.
It is the failure to do these things when people don't get the results they want. Some say it is for open header drag cars only but there are folks who utilize it and have streetcars. You just have to have the right set up.
When it works, it prevents leaky gasket and blow by. So why not do it?
So, does anyone have any pics of their set ups? Is it better to not have a valve cover breather, like an open K&N filter? Do you just want the evac breathers going to the headers and an oil fill cap? I want to do it and have the right set up.
If I don't do it I guess I'll have to route it into my air hat. Anymore thoughts on this or pictures maybe?