PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen transverse leaf spring

81 trans-am
09-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I just bought a 79 ta project car that has a vette brake products fiberglass transverse front leaf spring setup. It also has there upper and lower contol arms and glass rear leafs. It seems like a really cool setup. just wondering what you guys think. I found a write up from hotrod mag circa 89' and they had the kit on a camaro with 16" vette wheels and pulled .96g on the skidpad. Also any good shock/swaybar advise would be great. Thanks

Karl
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/09/carpics019-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/09/carpics018-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/09/carpics031-1.jpg

Marcus SC&C
10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
We have several clients running that system. Most are pretty happy with it. The one quirky thing is that they seem to require a more rebound shock rate than conventional coil springs. Even with single adj. shocks they have to be set up extra firm to be controlable and not bottom out but they they ride heard. Back it off until the ride is tolerabe and the other issues come back. They`re one of the few applications we really recomend a double adj. shocks like a Varishock QS2. Two or three extra clicks on the rebound side and they ride smooth and handle fantastic.
Swaybars are a tuning aid,use what you have and get your spring rates (especially since the front is adj.) and shocks dialed in then use the bars to tune the handling to your liking. Mark SC&C

GetMore
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Search for posts by Jeremy, he's really been playing with his setup and should have some good feedback for you.
He also has/had access to a C6 'Vette, so he would drive that, then his car and make adjustments to try to match the feel. It's always nice to have a comparison to work off of.

maldo
10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi check out my threadd " looking for articles on Vette Brakes front suspension for 2ng gen camaro"

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46331

81 trans-am
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys. I knew someone on here would have heard of this setup. Does any one run the glass rear springs and if so have you tried any traction devices.

Thanks
Karl

vintageracer
10-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Marcus is right about the shocks being CRITICAL when using this system. I purchased one of the first Corvette systems back in the 80's. The system bounced terrribly bad in the rear end with the KYB's they originally sold with the kit and was very hard/firm in the frontend. That should not be a suprise since everyone knows KYB's have lots of compression and little to no rebound!

As Vette Brakes developed this system they FINALLY began to understand the importance of shock abosorbers and started to develop shock absorbers to work with the sytem. VB replaced all the shocks and the rear spring for me and the car rides and drives MUCH better. It is still a little firm in the frontend after all these years.

I would also make a call to Vette Brakes and discuss with them the recommended shock abosorbers based upon your springs, setup and car weight. They now have a much better data base on what works well and have shock absorbers specifically made to their requirements for this suspension system. Most of the shocks they now recommend are Bilsteins that are valved to work with their system.

You could certainly try the double adjustable shocks now available as Marcus suggested if you are willing to work with your suspension and develop the proper shock valving. If you are unable or unwilling to do that call VB and buy their specific shocks they recommend.

One thing you do NOT want to do is go to the parts store and buy off the shelf shock abosorbers for this suspension system!

Jeremy
10-04-2008, 02:22 PM
The biggest thing that the others have not touched on that I found is that 2nd gen shocks were too long at the ride height I ran (same as my sagging WS6 springs) and bottomed out. 1st gen shocks are shooter and I have not had problems with them bottoming out.

With the varishocks, I have gotten the ride very smooth, no sway bar, and better handling than the ws6 springs and bars, edelbrock shocks, that the system replaced.

81 trans-am
10-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the help. I will probably go with the double adjustable shocks just because I can not be happy with a car that only does one thing well and Im still going through drag racing rehab.:confused:
I do plan to call vbp about there recomendations for swaybars even though I probably will drive the car with out a front bar due to jeremy's research. Thank you for your years worth of trial and error.

I am still concerned weather or not I can run slide-a-links with the fiberglass rear leafs.

And what shocks did you end up running in the back Jeremy.

Thanks karl

Jeremy
10-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I've got Edelbrock IAS shocks with the fiberglass springs out back. So far so good. I had to run 1 inch lower blocks and under a hard launch I either have axle wrap or a bad tranny mount. I haven't made time to check so I just take it easy in 1st gear until I can be sure. I am trying to figure out a way to lower things 1 inch and get rid of the lowering blocks but haven't put a whole lot of research into this right now.

I was hoping if I contacted VB they could shorten the spring a bit on the back side since the bushing eye is bolted on but haven't contacted them yet.

81 trans-am
10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
If the spring is causing the axle wrap a traction device might help. I will probally be using slide-a-links when i contact vbp to make sure It wont hurt the springs.

Jeremy
01-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I just got my Varishocks back on after being rebuilt and am very impressed with the setup.

Without the front bar, the spring on the softest setting, and the shocks at 2C 5 R, the ride was very very supple today. I even went out of my way to drive over a set of tracks and when I got to the stop sign after the tracks, I realized I paid no attention to the tracks--it was that smooth. Around town, it was as soft as I think could be expected.

The pogo effect did not appear at all. The car seemed hooked to the road.

I'll post back when I get some highway time, but around town, I am very pleased.

maldo
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I just got my Varishocks back on after being rebuilt and am very impressed with the setup.

Without the front bar, the spring on the softest setting, and the shocks at 2C 5 R, the ride was very very supple today. I even went out of my way to drive over a set of tracks and when I got to the stop sign after the tracks, I realized I paid no attention to the tracks--it was that smooth. Around town, it was as soft as I think could be expected.

The pogo effect did not appear at all. The car seemed hooked to the road.

I'll post back when I get some highway time, but around town, I am very pleased.

very cool keep us posted

81 trans-am
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
did you have your shocks retuned or just rebuilt. Im still doing bodywork and have not bought shocks yet. I did get my slide-a-links installed on the rear springs. are you running any sway bars.
Keep me posted on any new findings. I love that you are doing all of my r+d for me. I may have to buy you a beer.:cheers:
Thanks
Karl

Jeremy
01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Just rebuilt as they weren't doing anything--hence the super high shock settings I reported before.

No front sway bar and factory ws6 rear bar.

I dialed them up to 3C and 6R and I think it is about perfect.

I am still running the softest spring setting.

GetMore
01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
These are adjustable shocks, so Jeremy does his own "tuning".

Jeremy
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Well I think I have it dialed in now. I am running the spring on its stiffest setting with the shocks set at 12 compression and 4 rebound.

It is super smooth on the highway and nice around town. The suspension is controlled. For grins today I hit some plastic, 2 inch tall speed bumps, at 10 - 15 mph, once with both front wheels square to the bump, and once with them slightly angled so one wheel hit before the other.

The bumps passed with a quick "thunk thunk" with no funny motions. The front actually felt smoother on the offset strike than the rear.

81 trans-am
04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. My car Is still waiting to be primed and finish body work.

jeffandre
12-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Well I think I have it dialed in now. I am running the spring on its stiffest setting with the shocks set at 12 compression and 4 rebound.

Jeremy,
Remember me? 1971 Camaro VB springs (200# rears). Am about to spring for Varoshocks from Marcus (SCandC) and wanted to ask you a few questions regarding your setup.

Are you still at stiffest setting for front springs? What front shock settings are working best for you? What rear shock settings are working best for you?

I have an inline 6 for now, probably 150# lighter than you engine, plan on an LSx motor in a few years... Will be going with Hellwig bars made for my setup through Marcus also.