PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brake Conversion??

Ohio Cutlass
09-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Hello to all you wonderful car folks. I have a 1970 Chevelle I'm getting started on and I'd like to do a disc brake conversion on this car. Can anyone give me any input on what route to take for this project?

ALLFAITH
09-29-2008, 08:11 AM
I have done both master Power and baer on different GTO projects. Both were bolt on's. If you are looking more for Pro-Touring the "look" and function of Baer IMO cannot be beat.

be sure you plan wheel choices in advance as many brake kits require 17 or larger to upgrade.

Brad

mr nova
09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
try scarebird.com thats were i got my disc brake brakets for my 1966 nova. u just use part store parts:drive: :machine:

1badchevelle
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
KORE3. I am going with a c5-Z06 set up and ATS spindles. Plus you get great support from Tobin.

protour_chevelle
09-29-2008, 03:41 PM
+1 on Tobin @ Kore3!!! That guy is wicked!

Apogee
09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Wicked...me thinks I like that. It has an insidious ring to it.

Hey Ohio, what size wheels are you planning or hoping to run and what direction are you going with your project? Is this a street car or something that's going to get some track time? You've got a lot of good options when it comes to brakes if you're looking at 17's or larger, so some idea of budget and desired performance would help narrow it down a bit.

Wheel type as much as size may also impact your brake options. Certain wheels are not as conducive to big-brakes as others (A/R TTII comes to mind), so it's usually better to select the brakes you want to run, then the style of wheel, then the manufacturer in order to ensure brake fitment. Most if not all brake companies should have some sort of fitment templates for just that purpose. If you've already got wheels, post up what they are for our reference.

If you're sticking with 15's, you're pretty much going to be stuck with stock and stock replacement systems. You can get decent performance from stock brakes up to a point...but nothing like what you can squeeze into 17" and bigger wheels.

Tobin
KORE3

Ohio Cutlass
06-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey folks I've been away from this site for a while. I've been riding my Harley and passing by the chevelle sitting in my garage. I haven't done much to the car other then remove the front fenders and hood. I did get a Goodmark functional cowl induction hood to replace the stock hood. This car had a possum under the hood that chewed the wires up so I will be re-wiring the car. I was looking at a wiring harness by Ron Francis it seems to be a nice color coded and clearly labeled install. I've never wired a car before so the simpler it is for me the better it will be.