PDA

View Full Version : A-body Parking Brake Modification

Chicken Coupe
09-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Ran a search, but did not find any info.

I have been toying with the idea of converting the foot operated parking brake to a center, floor mounted parking brake in my '70 Chevelle, using either one "stolen" from a later year vehicle or aftermarket part.

As I don't like/want a console it seems like it would be pretty simple and fill in some of the "dead zone" between the buckets. Also make life a lot easier negotiating stop signs in hilly areas with the stick.

Has anyone done a similar modification that could offer some guidance, photos, and part list?

Thanks in Advance,
Fred

Mike Holleman
09-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Fred, I used a Lokar hand emergency brake on my 65 El Camino build. I was not able to mount it on the hump because of driveshaft interference. Then I ended up moving it higher above the floor to clear the mufflers. It works well but look at all your clearances before you start cutting holes.
Mike

Chicken Coupe
09-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Fred, I used a Lokar hand emergency brake on my 65 El Camino build. I was not able to mount it on the hump because of driveshaft interference. Then I ended up moving it higher above the floor to clear the mufflers. It works well but look at all your clearances before you start cutting holes.
Mike

I was thinking the same thing about the ds clearance. I was thinking about a boxed "stand" (for lack of a better description) so that the cable attaching point was nearly even with the floorpan.

I'd love to see some of your photos!

Mike Holleman
09-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't remember taking shots of the e brake handle. I will look and see if they exist. It is mounted between the seat and the hump. Tucked in kinda tight.
Mike

ProTouring442
09-29-2008, 05:01 AM
I'll try to take a few pics this afternoon. I'm using an '80s F-Body parking brake handle on my '72 Cutlass. It doesn't drop right down under the car and so shouldn't have the clearance issues many aftermarket units might.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill