PDA

View Full Version : firewall help please

seekins
09-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I am in the process of smoothing out the firewal on my 68 Camaro. I am going to install a LS engine and want to know what i can eliminate or "smoothe out" that the LS conversion wont require. T56 trans and hopefully a LS3....

Im half way thru as i type and only want to do this once. Thanks in advance...

meenaggie
09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
The only real difference I can think of when doing an LSX vs a SBC / BBC is you will no longer need the hole for the gas pedal / throttle linkage. As long as you are running a newer LSX it will be drive by wire. Also, you will have all the regular stuff you will want to keep like brake master cylinder, steering column, wiper motor, heater / AC lines(maybe relocated), and wiring harness. You need to determine if you are going to run a GMPP harness with ECM mounted in the engine compartment or a custom harness like a Speartech mounted in the cab.

Have you had a chance to look at some of the pics of members' cars? I always find that very helpful to get ideas. Best of luck. I am starting a LS2 install in a 68 with smoothfirewall as well.

seekins
09-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks, I will just keep everything (non ac car). I have been looking at pics, but its hard to tell what i needed to know. Whoever had this car hacked it up prety good. they beat the fireawall back to allow for distributor clearance and it must have been wrecked at some. There are a few wrinkles around the top fender mount. some peopel shouldnt be aloud to touch tools

Ragtop68rs
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Here's a pic of one I smoothed on a 69. I was using the stock heater, no AC. You can eliminate quite a few holes.

hotrdblder
09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
the easiest thing to do is cut a piece of 16 ga out, that covers entire firewall and perimeter weld it and you will have minimal body work and it will never crack. the seam in the top middle if not welded fully(have fun with the seam sealer). here's how my panel works, and is
also don't get rid of pedal mount hole as if you use a cable operated throttle body, lokar makes a pedal that bolts in to the same spot, and works well for a no fab solution.
139.99 with or without wiper hole.laser cut
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/IMG_1004-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/IMG_1114-1.jpg

seekins
10-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Dang, I just spend 40$ on material and allot of time making a full piece unit. Wish i would have known i could get one from you!...

I have started welding mine around the perimeter and stopped because its getting a couple waves in it. I believe i used 18ga. How do i go about keeping it strait? I'm using small 025 wire and have no problem welding, just havnt worked with a big flat piece.

hotrdblder
10-02-2008, 08:11 AM
just tack weld it in 4 inch intervals around perimeter, then stich weld between tacks moving around panel.
you may get a fe waves with 18 ga but some filler will be needed.
16 ga is better suited for the firewall