PDA

View Full Version : Trying to use a factory sender in a modified stock tank...will it work. Pics

Zedzag
09-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I just got my modified stock 81 camaro tank for my LQ4 swap from Ricks. Hector did an awesome job adding all the necessary internal baffles and a walbro 255 intank pump. It didn't come with a fuel level sender so I modified my stock one like this:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif I cut off the supply and return lines and welded them closed. The tank still has the factor vent line which I may use or I may use a vented cap.

I'm don't have a lot of knowledge of EFI fuel systems and I hope using the factory sender like this will give me a very accurate fuel level without causing any vapor lock or other problems. Using the factory sender hopefully will gie me a very accurate fuel reading.

Will this work properly?

Vegas69
09-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't know but it's definitely half aised.

Zedzag
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't know but it's definitely half aised.It may not be pretty but all it's doing is reading the fuel level. What other options do I have to read fuel level while incorporating the factory lock ring?

Vegas69
09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Definitely could remove the pipes and weld the holes shut. I guess I think overkill all the time. If it doesn't show what's the big deal. I just don't like things I know about being half assed.

cdoggy81
10-22-2008, 07:50 PM
What did they charge you to mod your tank?
Why not cut them off short & weld them like this:

Pro X
10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Could you post pics of new tank setup. Does it have vent tube from tank to tank neck? What does Walbro intank sender look like? You might want to consider TIG'ing sending unit to feed tube on Walbro setup like the factory does. Seems like Rick's would offer that as an option. I think it will be functional as is and noone would see it once installed but in the end a little mod now might be worth it. Especially after spending your hard earned money on a quality piece from Ricks.

Zedzag
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Could you post pics of new tank setup. Does it have vent tube from tank to tank neck? What does Walbro intank sender look like? You might want to consider TIG'ing sending unit to feed tube on Walbro setup like the factory does. Seems like Rick's would offer that as an option. I think it will be functional as is and noone would see it once installed but in the end a little mod now might be worth it. Especially after spending your hard earned money on a quality piece from Ricks.I ended up cutting the tubes short and welding them up. I don't have pics of the tank yet but I can get some.The tank still has it's factory vent line which could be hooked up anywhere.I didn't specify a sender from Rick's so they didn't install one. I figured the stock one would work best and give the most accurate fuel level reading. Some guys have had problems with weird fuel level readings.

They charged $500.00 to mod the tank including the pump.