PDA

View Full Version : TKO600... offset shifter needed ??

DRJDVM's '69
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm still deciding on the TK0 600..

Forte makes and offset shifter for the 69 camaro....

My question is... do I really need to get that ??? Alot of the Tremec distributors say I dont need an offset shifter to fit the tremec in the 69 camaro.... so why spend the extra $300 ???

Of course Forte recommends it...

mjpell
02-22-2005, 01:45 PM
An offset shifter is not required for a Camaro. The centered shifter works great, with or without a console. The 2" offset will work fine also, and is a slightly better fit than a centered shifter (remember, even the factory shifter was offset to the left some). Whether or not it fits $350 better, is a bit subjective. :-)

DRJDVM's '69
02-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Okay I think I finally understand after talking to Ray at 5speedtrans.com..

So the Forte custom shifter just makes the shifter tower shorter so it doesnt stick up far enough to require you to trim the opening like you have to do with the stock tremec tower. It doesnt change the location of the shifter handle at all. So the only advantage is not having to do any trimming to the shifter opening.

Thanks Ray and Mike

kman67rsss
02-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I have a 67 with a TKO 600 and i was mocking up the centerconsole the other day. with the stock 600 shifter i will need to offset the console .5-.75 inches to the passenger side to work with a stock 4 speed shifter plate. other then that the stock TKO shifter seemes to fit very well.

Hurst - Jeff
02-26-2005, 11:51 AM
How about a 1" offset shifter with the stick mounted on the right side of the stub?
The new Mcleod low profile, offset shifter for TKO's will do just that.
They will be available around mid-March. I met with Red at MCLeod yesterday and it looks to be on track for this time. I also have pricing available.
Feel free to call me with questions.

kman67rsss
02-26-2005, 02:14 PM
o i forgot to mention that i have a BBC in my camaro so the drivetrain is offset an inch or 2 to the pass side so with a SBC it will probally work ok