PDA

View Full Version : Top coat on Primer

paul67
09-24-2008, 11:12 AM
When watching car companys making cars,when they show you the paint process why do they not have to flat the primer before top coating like we do ,is there a primer that does not need flatting :hmm: and if so what is it.

Alchemist
09-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Paul,

From my understanding of your post, your inquiry is that the painting process which you viewed the primer being applied remained glossy when topcoated.

I too have seen documentaries showing the manufacturer's painting process. What you see is called "wet-on-wet" application. Meaning the paint system was designed for the topcoat to work with the "still wet" primer - not having to wait for the primer to "flash" (dull - flatten) before having to topcoat. Having to wait would mean loss of time and money to the manufacturer.

Automotive paint manufacturers have primer sealers that are meant to applied "wet-on-wet". Meaning as soon as you finished applying the primer sealer - you can apply your topcoat without having to wait for the primer sealer to flash.

Hope this helps!

Alchemist

grumpy44
09-24-2008, 05:51 PM
I use A primer sealer called VAP-9XX made by PPG and like he said its a wet on wet primer. Doesn't mean u have to shoot ur top coat while its still wet but u can. What this does is seal the primer u have on the body which is usually a working primer. there are All types of those. I use a DZ3 primer surfacer. Anyway, I normally let it dry real good and actually go back shoot a guide coat over it and wet sand it out with 600. Makes for a really nice flat smooth surface. But it was basically designed to shoot on and then shoot your topcoat right on without any waiting time. I have shot it as a first cover over bare metal before I start my filler primers as a good base for them, it has really good adhesion properties. Too much? hope not,

paul67
09-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks that helped a lot.