PDA

View Full Version : Manual 2nd gen drivers side mirror?

Steve1968LS2
02-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Did they make these or were they all the remote type with the four cable system???

Reason is that I have reproduction 2nd gen mirrors on the car now and the drivers side mirror is broken (the cable). I would rather just have a manual mirror like the passengers side but when I find them for sale at Classic Industries and such they are always cable adjusted on the drivers side.

Did they make a drivers side like the passengers side?

Also, can you replace just the guts of the mirror or is the manual mirror a complete unit.

Thanks..

MrQuick
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi Steve, does the mirror flop around or is it that the cables don't move it? If the mirror is good just push the cable in the door and forget it ever happened. :pat:

Steve1968LS2
02-22-2005, 08:16 AM
The freaking mirror just flops around.. you can't position it.

Maybe I need to yank it off the door and try and make the cables tight, damn reproduction stuff. Then again I think the cable might have gotten crunched in the power window mechanisim..

C4Bird
02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
They did make manual mirrors for the second gen. I think they are the same as 73 and 74 novas as well. Most of the nova's I have seen are the manual style, so it may be easier to get one of these. Can you post a pic of the housing? I think I have a couple driver side mirrors and housings left, if they are the same I could make you a deal..
-Nate

WS6
02-23-2005, 07:19 PM
remote mirror was an option. so i would imagine a manual was availible. i personally have never notice one. i also never thought to look though.

MrQuick
02-23-2005, 11:14 PM
oh yeah all bullet mirrors were remote style. Manual got you the base chrome style mirrow...question: Why did GM design a remote for the side you can reach by opening the frickin window? Right side goof balls!

C4Bird
02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Unless I have a couple super rare mirrors, they did make a bullet style manual mirror. When I get some time this weekeend, I'll see if I can pull it out and take a pic.
-Nate

Steve1968LS2
02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Unless I have a couple super rare mirrors, they did make a bullet style manual mirror. When I get some time this weekeend, I'll see if I can pull it out and take a pic.
-Nate

Let me know.. if they are the same shape as a 2nd gen Camaro mirror I will buy a drivers one off ya..

Thanks for the help guys!

p.s. I found it funny too that they made a remote for the side easy to reach..

Milow68
02-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Steve
Can't you duct tape it??????????? :pat:
J/K
Weird because I don't remember ever seeing a bullet mirror on a 2nd that wasn't remote. Maybe the Nova style, like Nate said, was the only one with manual.
Enquiring minds want to know :woot:

Brad

MrQuick
02-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Duct tape thats funny I was thinking the same thing when I first read Steves first post! haaa Pontiacs and Nova had the manuals. I think they are shaped different??

LS1Z28
02-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Steve, The Chevy Vega And monza had the non-adjustable driver side bullet mirror also the starfire, skyhawk, and a couple of others I can't remember.

C4Bird
02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Steve, sorry I didn't get a chance to make it to the storage unit to pull those out, I'll try and sneak over monday or tuesday and get a pic posted.
-Nate

C4Bird
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Well, after going through all of my mirrors last night and making about 4 phone calls, I remembered my sister took all of my left over mirrors for her 73 Nova SS build. She finished it about 2 years ago and I guess forgot to return them. I'll see if she still has any left. I do have one remote operated driver side if you are interested.....
-Nate

vanzuuk1
03-05-2005, 06:27 AM
there is a guy who sells mirrors he is a walking encyclopedia on gm mirrors he is a nice guy and his prices are good ( about 50 for a decent pair) his name is joe and he can be reached at 989 667 9204 . he did everything but fly to my house and install them.