PDA

View Full Version : Truck Arms

Twentyover
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Can anyone point me to a source where I can get educated on truck arms? Prefer someone NOT selling suspension parts, I want to understand better how they work

project hotrod
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Not sure of any resources. Although they work for Nascar I think they are too bulky and better options exist.

I pondered using them for a moment until my searches and reading on this board convinced me to go three link.

Twentyover
09-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Think I agree that better options exist- I'm just trying to get a good handle on how they work

project hotrod
09-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Think I agree that better options exist- I'm just trying to get a good handle on how they work

Gotcha,

The topic has been well discussed or debated here since 2004.

Norm Peterson's posts in this thread are decent. Search term "truckarm"
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27205&highlight=truckarm

Norm Peterson
09-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Twenty - probably a lot like a torque arm that is "split" to attach to both axle tubes instead of to the pumpkin so that the usual LCAs can be eliminated. The chassis side pivots provide definition of the SVIC and anti-squat, and the virtual arm intersection and the PHB/WL gives the axle steer characteristics. The arms themselves need to retain torsional flexibility in order to minimize any roll stiffness contribution since they are clamped to the axle, so tubular arms would be a definite no-no. Bushings probably need to have some compliance as well. Actually, given "conventional" truck arm dimensions the geometry isn't bad.

Norm

project hotrod
09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Twenty - probably a lot like a torque arm that is "split" to attach to both axle tubes instead of to the pumpkin so that the usual LCAs can be eliminated. The chassis side pivots provide definition of the SVIC and anti-squat, and the virtual arm intersection and the PHB/WL gives the axle steer characteristics. The arms themselves need to retain torsional flexibility in order to minimize any roll stiffness contribution since they are clamped to the axle, so tubular arms would be a definite no-no. Bushings probably need to have some compliance as well. Actually, given "conventional" truck arm dimensions the geometry isn't bad.

Norm

The man himself chimes in. I always like reading your stuff. :cheers:

Twentyover
09-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys. I did a truck arm search and it yielded like a bazillion thread hits (Ok, it was closer to 185). Thinking most of them would have the word combination 'truck' and 'arm' and not much moreI know about the 5K mustang using them, but like I said, i wasn't trying to get pictures, i'm trying to understand what the critical features are....

JMarsa
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Not installed yet. If you want to see up close I'm in the Detroit area.

--JMarsa

Twentyover
09-24-2008, 07:38 AM
OK, Marsa- i'd be interested in doing something like that. I'm up in Clarkston- I'll PM you my contact information