PDA

View Full Version : good fiberglass epoxy

WS6
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I am looking for a good fiberglass epoxy. I'm going to be bonding pieces of fiberglass together and maybe even metal to fiberglass. I would like something that is easy to work with and sets up fairly quick instead of being runny and gooey. I know 3M has some amazing body panel epoxies but I'm not looking to spend so much or need so much.

In case anyone has done this, I'm putting an update rear end on an 87 vette and have some bracket's that have to be made and bonded to the rear end to hold the lights in.

Thanks

ProdigyCustoms
09-22-2008, 03:01 AM
SEM is the absolute best. SEM actually makes it for other companies that private label it, like Wurth. And you know if Wurth sells it, it is the Sh..... They just mark it up 170%.

It comes in 20, second, 50 second and 4 hour. For panel bonding body panels I use the 4 hours. The 20 and 50 also come in hand size tubes and is probably what your looking for. The guys in the shop use 20 second and 50 second for everything. Good thing for us one of my best buddies is sales manager. I could not afford all the glue we use, LOL!

68fusion
09-22-2008, 05:15 AM
check fusor as well...good stuff.
most have special "guns and tips" to mix and apply, so you'll have to borrow one if you only need use it a few times

MuscleRodz
09-22-2008, 08:13 AM
SEM is definitely good. I also use ALOT of West Systems products in my woodworking and fiberglass work. They are more than just epoxy. They have fillers, glues, and high quality glass and tools. They are one of the best in the marine industry.

Mike Holleman
09-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I am looking for a good fiberglass epoxy. I'm going to be bonding pieces of fiberglass together and maybe even metal to fiberglass. I would like something that is easy to work with and sets up fairly quick instead of being runny and gooey. I know 3M has some amazing body panel epoxies but I'm not looking to spend so much or need so much.

In case anyone has done this, I'm putting an update rear end on an 87 vette and have some bracket's that have to be made and bonded to the rear end to hold the lights in.

Thanks

I also use SEM and Fuzor but for what you are describing West Systems is the best. It will adhere to anything. Works great for laminating and bonding. They have three different catalists. Slow, fast and Tropical. I mostly use fast. In hot dry climates it should give 15 minutes or so working time.
Hope this helps.
Mike Holleman

WS6
09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
thanks guys. I'll check with my local body shop suppliers and see what they can get for me.

Alchemist
09-24-2008, 11:09 AM
All excellent suggestions and may I also recommend 3M's other line of adhesives - Duramix. 3M purchased Duramix a while back. I used this line extensively as well as the others. No experience with Lord's Fusor product line because my suppliers were not distributors.

WS6
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
OK well, no one in my area carries anything that doesn't require an expensive gun. I got confused on what I needed from West Systems when reading their website and the closest dealer is in ATL so I have no one I can walk up to and ask. Any suggestions besides suck it up and buy a gun? I'm just trying to stick some fiberglass brackets to a fiberglass panel in order to hold the lights on the car.

Thanks

dhutton
10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Here's a cheaper gun for the 3M products:

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-15298-18975.aspx

They also sell all the 3M adhesives.

These two part adhesives are sort of like crack, once you start using them you can't stop...

Don

WS6
10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks Don

Overkill
10-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I got lucky when I needed to epoxy the fiberglass side pods on to my sister's dune buggy. One of my friends has a body shop and he let me borrow the gun that he had. It was the Fusor stuff and was heat activated so I had to use a heat gun to set it up. I'm happy with it and it seems to hold pretty good.

WS6
10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
That's basically the same situation I had the first time I used Fuzor. Unfortunately, I don't have that option available to me this time. Loved the Fuzor though.

hotrdblder
10-22-2008, 07:29 PM
sweet talk the counter guy when buying the fusor, they give the guns to the shops, well at least my supply store does

malster
11-01-2008, 08:49 AM
3115 3M panel bonding adhesive works well with fiberglass and metal. Money well spent

WS6
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I ordered in one of the guns from autobody tool mart and a bottle of 3M's SMC/Fiberglass epoxy. Came in two days. I'll hopefully be trying it out in the next week. Thanks for the tip on the 3115 though

ks71z28
11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I use a product from michigan adhesives called seal bond. It is in a caulking type tube. I use it to bond biberglass parts together, carbonn fiber, and metal to composite. It is about $15 a tube and comes in white and black. I am ordering some in the next few days, so give me a call and I will add a tube on for you.

Keith