PDA

View Full Version : Billet wheel spacers, will these break?

yody
02-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Before everyone goes off saying that these are no good, listen first; I have 1 piece forged CCW 19" wheels on my firebird, on the front and back i have about a 1" and 3/4" spacer. THe spacer is a machined aluminum spacer. You can see the CNC marks on it from the cutter and so forth.
ON the back wheels, on the back of the wheel is a 2" hole. The spacer has a 2" round raised solid circle that fits into the hole "exactly" on the back of the rim. So they sort of become one piece.
ON the front the hub snout is too long for there to be a fit into the back of the wheel, instead the spacer on the front has a hole in it "exaclty" the size of the hub snout, so there is no movement once you put he spacer in. The hole in the back of the rim just fits over the remaning snout of the hub.
I am wondering if the spacers are now kinda part of the actual wheel, what other forces are going to put stress on the wheel studs or such? What would be the difference between what i have and just having a "thicker" mounting pad on the back of the wheel?
I am just wondering after reading about all the dangers of spacers if this setup is better than most? BTW I am using 7/16 ARP wheel studs

zbugger
02-22-2005, 12:13 AM
What you've described is basically a hubcentric spacer. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of them, would you? If they are only spacers, I'd worry a little about the studs. I'd have to see it though.

yody
02-22-2005, 12:14 AM
okay, are hubcentric spacers any good? and which is more important rear or front?

Joe_Rocket
02-22-2005, 12:32 AM
See the 2nd comment from Tony in this thread about his wheels.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4448

I asked him about his spacers and got a detailed reply.