PDA

View Full Version : pro charger

notagn
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Any one use the procharger serpintine belt setup for small block chev. Will run with 15-18 psi on the street. Are there any problems with the belts slipping on the altenator or the power steering. Plan on using an F1-C.

Procharmo
09-19-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm using an F1C on a 355 SBC. V belt set up.
I have one V belt from the crank to the water pump and alternator. Another for the power steering. The middle of the crank has an 8 rib section dedicated to the blower. The V belts have moderate tension which has been OK.
The Procharger 8 rib belt is cranked to the point of shearing the tensioning bolt weld!!! Its tight engough not to be able to turn the belt 90degs. Reved to 4000 rpm 10lbs so far and no evidence of belt dust. Call Procharger techs and see what options they propose.

camcojb
09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm using an F1C on a 355 SBC. V belt set up.
I have one V belt from the crank to the water pump and alternator. Another for the power steering. The middle of the crank has an 8 rib section dedicated to the blower. The V belts have moderate tension which has been OK.
The Procharger 8 rib belt is cranked to the point of shearing the tensioning bolt weld!!! Its tight engough not to be able to turn the belt 90degs. Reved to 4000 rpm 10lbs so far and no evidence of belt dust. Call Procharger techs and see what options they propose.

you get that blower belt too tight and you'll kill the bearings in the blower. With a good tensioner I ran 16 psi with only an 8-rib belt, no slip issues at all.

The key points with the Prochargers is to use a good tensioner (the one from Scott at http://www.sd-concepts.com/ is the one I used and best I've seen), and to build a simple brace for the main blower bracket so it doesn't move under throttle, allowing the belt tension to change. A simple solid rod bolted to the main bracket next to the blower and then back to the engine at the front of the head, intake bolts, etc. will do the trick. If you squeeze the belt together near the upper blower pulley you'll see the entire bracket and blower move and twist without the brace.

Jody