PDA

View Full Version : No Ricer

StoneAge
09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a proud owner of a 76 Pontiac Astre Safari wagon that has a Panel Express conversion done by a previous owner. Not your usual G-Machine, but I like cars that are different. I think I found that! It has a 1985 4.3L V6, and TH350 automatic also by the previous owner. After purchasing my Astre back in Jan 08 I started looking at what direction to go with the car. I decide to go in this direction, and haven't looked back since. I'm just getting started, and still have a long way to go. I'm a member of a H-body forum, but they didn't know what to make of my car. At first I got a lot of RICER comments, but no longer. I think this could be the place to get info on sorting out the suspension. The front suspension is basic first gen Camaro, and the rear is the same as third gen Camaro. It mite be smaller then other G-Machines, but its all American.

Bill Howell
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
First, welcome to the site.
Second, that is a cool platform for a protourer that so far I don't think many have noticed. I love Vegas and actually looked at a cool wagon just this weekend. These cars are lighter than most and would make killer autocrossers it is just hard to find one in my area that is not a rustbucket. I don't think the frontend is actually first gen f body parts, but there has to be improvements you can make to help the car stop and steer better.

StoneAge
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Bill, you would be surprised at the cornering potential of these cars, I was! When I said the front suspension was similar to the early Camaro's, I meant in basic designed. So modifications, and setup for a Camaro should offer similar results for my car. So far all that I have done to the front is changed from a 1" sway bar to a 1-1/16" with Energy Suspension bushings, and links. Plus KYB shock's with what I assume are stock H-Body V6 springs. On the rear the car sites on Third Gen Camaro 2" lowering sport springs, which lowered my car about 1". (a 15 min. swoop) The only other mod to the rear is square tube lower control arms that have solid aluminum bushings. There is no rear sway bar, and I need new shocks. According to my Kenwood stereo with just these mods the car is already capable of 1G. Of course the 225-45/17 and 245-40/17 G-Sport's help that number a lot, but you would be surprised by how flat this thing corners. I think the car has a natural low center. The highest point of the car is 52", the 4.3L V6 site less the 6" of the ground. I like the balance of the V6, and an other 4.3L is in the works. When finished it should be about 300hp in a 2500# car. No record breaker, but should make for an interesting ride.

Bishop73
09-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome from Texas. That is one cool car you have there, would be a fun one to drive I bet.