PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Read End Alignment

Johnjan
02-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Measured my 68rs and the rearend is 7/8" biased to the passenger side of the car. All other frame reference dims are well within tolerance. X measuring the reference holes is within 1/16" each side. Is 7/8" of rearend offset unusual?

rocketrod
02-21-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't know if it is common but the 69 Camaro I have the one I recently sold were bothe biased about 7/8" to the passenger side of the car also. I haven't had a chance to investigate any further, but I am sure someone will chime in with an answer.

MrQuick
02-21-2005, 10:55 AM
No that is normal, I have recently found out by a rep. source that that was done to keep the tire from rubbing the quarter panel on hard acceleration. It was a problem GM ran into during testing a 67 big block equipt car. All cars had the offset after that.

Johnjan
02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I was kind of hoping that may be the case because the brake backing plates are equidistant from the leaf springs. Moving the spring perches would have raised havoc with my brake calipers. So I guess I won't bother moving the spring perches to line it up.

Thanks!

Rick Dorion
02-23-2005, 05:03 AM
The offset varies then, as my car is centered and I have heard others having various degrees of offset which I attribute to 60's era tolerances.

rocketrod
02-23-2005, 07:47 AM
As I stated earlier I have about 7/8" of inch LESS clearance on the passenger side, which in turn causes the passenger side tire, 275/40/17, to rub at times. Would there be a problem with putting in a 1/4" spacer to give a tire clearance on just the passenger side?

Rick Dorion
02-23-2005, 07:59 AM
Are your quarters symmetrical? On mine, the drivers rear wheel appears set back but it's the quarter panel ( patched poorly). A spacer will further decrease space. Can you roll the fender lip a bit?

68protouring454
02-23-2005, 09:20 AM
is yours rubbing on the inner wheel house? , if rear end were biased to passenger side, that would make drivers side close to the inner and the passenger side rub on the 1/4 lip
jake

rocketrod
02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I read my earlier post and I meant to say the rearend in biased to the driverside. Sorry for the confusion. The passenger side tire rubs the inner wheelwell. Currently on the passenger side between tire and inner wheelwell I have 7/8" LESS than on the driver side.

Johnjan,
I am not trying to highjack your thread and hope that you are getting some value out of this.

paul67
03-25-2005, 07:32 AM
let me get this straight if you run a center line from front to back of the car the rear wheel drivers side is offset 7/8" or if you run a string from the rear tyre drivers side to the front tyre the difference from 1 side to the other can be up to 7/8" if this is so how do you set the tracking up so the car drives straight
paul67