PDA

View Full Version : Power steering help!!

Bishop73
09-12-2008, 07:24 AM
So, I've gone through 2 stock replacement PS pumps for my Chevelle in 700 miles. I need recommendations on a very good, sturdy pump that will not crap out on me. I've not abused the car or run it very hard, a few smoky launches but nothing hardcore over the top. I've getting very frustrated with it. Also, anything I should look for as a contributing factor to these failures?? Any help is appreciated!!

Rob

sik68
09-12-2008, 09:24 AM
So, I've gone through 2 stock replacement PS pumps for my Chevelle in 700 miles. I need recommendations on a very good, sturdy pump that will not crap out on me. I've not abused the car or run it very hard, a few smoky launches but nothing hardcore over the top. I've getting very frustrated with it. Also, anything I should look for as a contributing factor to these failures?? Any help is appreciated!!

Rob

My car is still on jackstands so I can't give you a durability review, but Unisteer and Detroit Speed both offer the GM type II pumps. Definitely a step up in price from a stock replacement. Here's a pic of my Unisteer unit:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/IMG_3343-1.jpg

I'm running a double-groove pulley now though

Twentyover
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
If you've fried 2 pumps in 700 miles, are you sure the problem is the pump? How did they fail?

Bishop73
09-13-2008, 11:06 PM
If you've fried 2 pumps in 700 miles, are you sure the problem is the pump? How did they fail?

That's exactly what I want to know. Can a misbalanced crank cause them to fail? I have noticed that the harmonic balancer seems to bounce a bit when running.

The belt for the PS pump has always been snug, the one on my Alternator was jacked up but is now fixed with a bracket that actually keeps tension. For what it's worth I didn't destroy the first one, it was well on it's way when I bought the car. ;)

ss dave
09-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Check out PSC. They know alot about PS.

JEFFTATE
09-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Are you using a steering gear or rack and pinion ?