PDA

View Full Version : Cheap TIG welder

mach1stang
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,

I am really wanting to learn how to TIG a friend of mine is a very good welder and he said he could show me how to TIG but I would like to know what a good yet reasonable welder is, I don't need a massive top of the line welder, big enough to do sheetmetal and a little bit of chassis and roll cage stuff. what is a good welder that I could lern with and use for a long time?

ROOSTER007
09-10-2008, 04:06 AM
My weapon of choice is my Miller Dynasty 200DX

80proZ
09-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Paid a little under $300 for a brand new Thermal Dynamics dragster 85.Excellent machine for the money.

mach1stang
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
WOW, thanks for that link I think I may start saving my pocket change.

Is there any way you could post pictures of everything that comes in the kit?

derekf
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Here's a pic of the 85 kit I found:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif but that's more like 550 than 350 - the kit for 350 doesn't look to have much to it.

jackfrost
09-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Paid a little under $300 for a brand new Thermal Dynamics dragster 85.Excellent machine for the money.

where did you find that?

RobM
09-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I believe that welder is a scratch start type... not a conventional high frequency start. Its really only for sheetmetal and thin stuff. you can get a fully loaded more versitile machine for under 2,000. If you're serious about doing some fab work then I would recomend a bigger machine

mach1stang
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
I really only plan on using the tig for sheet metal work, if I have to weld anything real thick and want to use TIG I will go to work with my dad on a weekend like I am this weekend and weld it up with there welder. Plus two grand is a bit steep for me right now.

80proZ
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Bought mine on ebay,brand new.RobM is correct about it being a scratch start,but there are tricks to keep your tungston from sticking.I've welded "1/4 stainless with mine,with 3/32 filler on a grill i was building.
Some of the more exspensive machines are nice and come equiped with whats called "lift arc".Basically you touch the tungston to the material,but it will not arc until you pull the tungston away from it.
High freq. is only on higher end machines, i beleive are well above the $2000 mark.Worth the money if it can pay for itself.The Dragster 85 is an excellent machine for the money.

kovert
10-18-2008, 05:57 PM
thermal arc ta-185 is the best i think for the money.. it depends what you want to weld aswell??? alot of them will only weld steel and some do both and some do steel and do a crapy job welding aluminum .... the ta-185 does amazing on all metals.. its 2000.

mach1stang
10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow lots of diffrent machines, I was at the nsra nationals show and miller had there truck out there and I they had all sorts of diffrent welders set up for people to try, I can't think of what the name of the TIG I tried but it was only like $1300 and the guy that was helping us had no clue how to work TIG, nor did I so we will call it even, but he said it would almost be overkill for what we will be using it for.

Also I have tried to TIG two times, the first tried I did OK but I could MIG the same thing twice as better. But it was aluminum is it true that aluminum is harder to weld in any form of welding? or am I just making this up to make myself feel better?

wendell
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
To justify buying a TIG I would make sure it welds AC and has high frequency. I don't see any sense in a scratch or lift start DC machine. But that's just me.

I'm interested, why do you want a TIG to weld sheet metal?

FYI, I put a Synrowave 300 together for less than $1K including a new torch and Bernard chiller. Ebay yo.

mach1stang
10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
More control on heat, no more burning holes, softer weld metal, less grinding, plus being able to use diffrent filler rods, like rad rides uses silicon bronze for better seem filling so there is alot of stuff I can do with a TIG with out damageing the metal then with MIG.

wendell
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Enjoy.

RobM
10-26-2008, 06:13 PM
in my opinion if you should look into gas welding to fit those needs.

ty1295
10-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Aluminum is more difficult for couple reasons, don't try to teach yourself on that, start with steel. Aluminum requires A/C steel/stainless is DC.

My first tig was a Miller 180SD. Great welder for the price. Econotig is a bit cheaper but I have not read many good results.

I would look for a good used name brand tig. Miller, Lincoln. Sure you could be a china special, but any amount you spend on it will be thrown down a hole and you still won't have a good machine.

You should be able to find a 180SD for ~$750 or so. It will do anything you have listed and more.

mach1stang
10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
I thought so, I will have to try steel and see what happens. I will say I have done alright I have not been shocked yet, my dad got it at the miller station at the car show.

Mathius
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
FWIW, the thermal dynamics machine I used was good quality. 110v stick welder we used in my last shop, and we beat the crap out of stuff. Welded 1/4" with it with no problems, except you blow a lot of breakers because most 110v outlets don't have a lot of amps.

That kit pictured doesn't show a foot pedal. I wouldn't bother tig'ing without a foot pedal.

Mathius