PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket A/C for 2nd Gen Firebird

Northern Goat
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I was investigating using a VA kit for a Camaro and I am told that it won't work due to the difference between the Camaro and Firebird heater controls. I could just buy the VA controls, but that adds $300 to the cost of a $1300 "package".

What have others done to get aftermarket A/C in a 2nd Gen?

Twentyover
09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
WTF?

The Gen IV surefit for Camaro replaces the entire HVAC control head. You may need to find a 3 x 5 piece of flat real estatae, but it's all PWM and stepper motor controls. No cables or vacuum lines. Easy Peeasy as my English compadres say

http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/41.pdf

Look mid page on the RH side, that's the controller. Fits under the steering wheel left of wheel center, by the Driver's knee cooler on a Camaro. Could fit just about anywhere.

Goat- If you can't find a piece of real estate big enough to house this, and close off the existing control, you nedd a different hobby, like stamp collecting.

Recommend getting the Camaro sure-fit interior kit and figure it out. Mounting is a no-brainer. You may need some ducting tube and vacuum cleaner nozzles (ref Mary Pozzi's Camaro)

Twentyover
09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
OK, I done some research. Your control head located right of Speedo above the radio nacelle? (I'm looking at an '71 Esprit) Are you planning on using that piece of plastic, or are you planning an insert for more gauges? If you plan on using the stock plastic, you could open a hole for the control head, fill the remaining divot surface mounting the control head. If you plan a new insert, sky's pretty much the limit

Yes, the Camaro control head isn't designed to fit that hole. And the wheels you're running probably weren't designed to fit a 71 Bird. Doesn't mean that you didn't, or couldn't, get creative.

pic of the F'Bird i'm looking at is
http://www.dairy-leroy.com/DCP07866.JPG

Vintage air is right. Their control won't fit the stock hole. And why does this stop you?

Northern Goat
09-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Twentyover,

Don't get your panties in a knot, I am far from being afraid to modify anything.

FYI, if you use a Trans Am A/C bezel and mount guage in the a/c vent holes you don't have the height to install the control unit that is included. So I may have to start stamp collecting.

As for my creativity I see you have gone way out on a limb with your Camaro. I won't get into all the mods that I have made to date I'll just be sure to send you pics when it is complete.

Thanks for your input, but just remember there is always more than meets the eye.

Twentyover
09-09-2008, 08:44 PM
As for my creativity I see you have gone way out on a limb with your Camaro.....

Not quite sure how what I drive has to do with your creativity. As far as what I drive, it does for me what i want. If other people like it fine, if they don't, that's fine too.

Thanks for your input, but just remember there is always more than meets the eye.....

There may be more than meets the eye, but i can only judge based on what's showing.

And all of this has nothing to do with A/C controls.

So just ignore me and I'll return the favor. And be assured, my shorts are not torqued.

Northern Goat
09-10-2008, 04:16 AM
So just ignore me and I'll return the favor. And be assured, my shorts are not torqued.

Agreed.

70bird
09-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's the rotary controller that came with the VA gen 2 compact.

I had to slightly grind away at some plastic behind the opening in the dash for it to fit, as well as some cutting on the controller housing.
It's a little plain looking, but works for me.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

70bird
09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Sorry, here's the pic:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Northern Goat
09-10-2008, 09:34 AM
That looks like the direction I am going in. Thanks for the pic.

TEXAS PAUL
10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
NG,

Hope it's not to late to chim in, I have recently bought a after market A/C unit from Texas Trans Am (Texastransam.com), in which you can use your factory gauges and switches and it is made for 2nd gen T/A and he even has vent adapters. Call David for info 817-563-2121 I have not installed mine yet. because I am still working on my brakes but there next. Hope this helps

Paul

10Seconds
03-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Hot Rod Air makes the unit that they retrofit to use the stock controls for. I have the unit in my 2nd gen TA and it fits fine.

77ta
07-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Will the Gen 2 controls work with the new Gen 4 system ?
Thinking about putting one in my 77 Trans am.