PDA

View Full Version : Stainless windshield trim flew off

funbnme
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I was out for a drive...testing out the cowl induction setup I just installed. I was on a deserted 2 lane road doing about 105 and the upper & pass side trim pieces flew off.

I had to make a long loop to go back and get them, but the rescue mission was a success and they aren't damaged.

How do I reinstall them so they don't fly off again? I don't drive that fast on the streets (well, not usually), but I do plan on doing a track event in November and don't want to lose them on the track.

What do the track guys do?

NOT A TA
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
1st try new spring clips (if they aren't new already). you can also bend the spring clips so the trim snaps in tighter. I've seen a couple cars at track events with a bead of clear silicone caulk used.

On my Firebird it starts to lift about 140 MPH on track. I use black racer tape, with blacked out trim and tinted window it doesn't really stick out in track pics.

Jim Nilsen
09-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Also make sure you have front winsheild clips and not rear window clips, there is a difference. You can check at the point of contact and make sure that the lip edge hasn't bent back some to. With the right tool you can make it have more of an edge to grab if needed ,just be carefull.

Bowtie racing
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
How important is windshield installed height ? Isnt there supposed to be some kind of rubber blocks between windshield and frame to set the windshield in correct postion when gluing it in ?

Hogshooter
09-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Once the clips snap and grab the trim height isn't to big a deal, a bit of silicone under the moulding would hold it down. I wouldn't get carried away cause you might destroy the trim if you have to remove it agin. New clips should help, and I always mark the location of the clip with tape on the window before I install it so you know where to push down at.