PDA

View Full Version : Mustang suspension

CliffS
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Any pointers/suppliers for 67 Mustang suspension parts? I know my way to GM stuff but Ford is like a new world to me..

Lowend
09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
www.globalwest.net
http://www.maierracing.com/
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/
Between those three... pretty much the best stuff out there

jason@gmachine
09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
what are you looking for?

jason

CliffS
09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks Lowend.
Looking for the whole package; control arms, coils (over), sway bar. Also trying to figure out if the shock towers are ideal or should be altered . Same for the rear, springs or 3,4 link and such.
I'm not familiar with these bodies/suspension what are the things to look after?

funcars
09-08-2008, 09:25 AM
What will you use it for? How far are you willing to go with modifications? There are many possibilities depending on where you want to go with it.

fast Ed
09-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Some neat rear axle stuff from Evolution Motorsports here:

http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22

cheers
Ed N.

69stang
09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Add to the list
http://www.griggsracing.com/

The stock setup, front & rear, can be upgraded and will be sufficient for street and track. You can also scrap the shock towers and add an MII setup or other stout SLA setups. Out back it depends what you want to do and how much you're willing to spend.

The minimum suspension enhancements up front should include the shelby drop, springs & shocks, bushings, Granada or 70+ spindles, roller spring perches, beefier sway bar, monte carlo bar (shock tower to shock tower brace), export brace (shock towers to firewall).

In the rear, I would go with shocks & mid or reverse eye springs and bushings. If new springs aren't in the budget, lowering blocks, to get the rear down. Also, Shelby style override traction bars, a rear sway bar & panhard bar.

This I feel is your basic performance upgrades and doesn't reflect my plans for my car which are more radical.

bret
09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Another direction to consider...
http://www.ridetech.com/products/68_70_Mustang_Front_Shockwaves_w_Upper_and_Lower_S trongArms-1533-2447.html

Its all bolt-on, There is no modifications required to the car, the cornering performance is immensly improved, and the ride quality much improved as well.

CliffS
09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Some good info guys, thanks!!
Stang will be mostly used on the streets, some tracktime. Looking for good street manners, hooking and breaking good. Will not avoid to invest and want to do it right the first time.

Marcus SC&C
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
We`re known best for GM cars but we`ve done just as many Mustangs at our shop over the years. I really like the Total Control line. The lower arms with greasable delrin front pivots and adj. caster are fantastic. Their upper arms relocate the inner pivots to actually improve the geometry. I`d go with their lower control arm mounted coil over package. It gives you a LOT more room to work with and a better motion ratio than those mouted to the UCA.
Their subframe connector and X brace kit make a huge improvement in chassis stiffness. I really recomend that package for any Mustang.
For the rear their new G-Link adj. 4 link with adj. rate frame mounted rear swaybar is the way to go. Greasable delrin pivot joints in all 8 ends,adj. arms,optional billet aluminum arms. It triangulates the rear unibody rails as well. No cutting to install any of it and it`s designed to work on the track but hold up really well on the street too. Mark SC&C

CliffS
09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
We`re known best for GM cars but we`ve done just as many Mustangs at our shop over the years. I really like the Total Control line. The lower arms with greasable delrin front pivots and adj. caster are fantastic. Their upper arms relocate the inner pivots to actually improve the geometry. I`d go with their lower control arm mounted coil over package. It gives you a LOT more room to work with and a better motion ratio than those mouted to the UCA.
Their subframe connector and X brace kit make a huge improvement in chassis stiffness. I really recomend that package for any Mustang.
For the rear their new G-Link adj. 4 link with adj. rate frame mounted rear swaybar is the way to go. Greasable delrin pivot joints in all 8 ends,adj. arms,optional billet aluminum arms. It triangulates the rear unibody rails as well. No cutting to install any of it and it`s designed to work on the track but hold up really well on the street too. Mark SC&C

Thanks Mark,

The Total Control products are probably the way to go. Btw I couldn't be happier with the Lee box on the '68 bird!

CliffS
09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Add to the list
http://www.griggsracing.com/

The stock setup, front & rear, can be upgraded and will be sufficient for street and track. You can also scrap the shock towers and add an MII setup or other stout SLA setups. Out back it depends what you want to do and how much you're willing to spend.

The minimum suspension enhancements up front should include the shelby drop, springs & shocks, bushings, Granada or 70+ spindles, roller spring perches, beefier sway bar, monte carlo bar (shock tower to shock tower brace), export brace (shock towers to firewall).

In the rear, I would go with shocks & mid or reverse eye springs and bushings. If new springs aren't in the budget, lowering blocks, to get the rear down. Also, Shelby style override traction bars, a rear sway bar & panhard bar.

This I feel is your basic performance upgrades and doesn't reflect my plans for my car which are more radical.

69stang, do you have more info on your build (site/pics)?

eleanor in progress
09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello, im new on this forum, im the proud owner of the mustang cliff arranged to get to holland.
Im a noob on the technical english terms, so cliff has been so kind to ask some info for me :twothumbs

So thnx for the reactions

67stangcsa
09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
This is my first post but I've been reading on here for a while. It has sparked a new passion for me. I am a drag racer convert, but I am really getting into this. Actually, my kids are racing jr dragsters now so I retired at the old age of 35. Anyway, I am building a 67 stang and went through the same deal. I am putting a 4.6 4v engine in so I looked at all the alternatives to remove the shock towers. The mustang 2 stuff is OK but I wanted a little better geometry and I wanted a little more support for the frame. I liked the Griggs deal but it is so expensive. I quit racking my brain and just designed my own. I built a prototype, but I made a few changes already so I am making another next week. Here is a pic of the new towers and crossmember. It is a SLA design that uses SN95 spindles and fox rack.

I like the tcp stuff and the GW stuff for the bolt on stock stuff. The geometry is pretty good. Even modified stock parts can work very well. I am not crazy about the rear steer box or the racks available, but there are a lot of them out there with very good results.

Hey 69stang,
I am just around the corner from you. What are you plans for a suspension?

69stang
09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I am contemplating S&Ws extreme duty MII type up front. I like that the A arms mount in double shear and the the rest is mounted forward. I recently bought their direct fit rear frame rails but won't be putting them in for awhile. For the rear I'm considering 3-links from Lateral Dynamics, Art Morrisson, & a system based on the chassis works G-Bar.