PDA

View Full Version : what sender and float should I use?

deeboe78
09-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I just replaced my guages in my car. My fuel float I know is not reading correctly. Which sender/float works best when swaping stock guages with aftermarket ones. I know putting a new float is going to be a pain too. :scared: calibration etc...

Thanks

70 chevelle

SSG D

juiced
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
i've used an optical sensor that turns the light on when it get's below a certain level. no need to know the exact amount of gas, just when you are running low. this is the sensor i used

http://www.fluidswitch.com/pages/OpticalLiquidLevelSensorOS-900.htm

deeboe78
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks but i rather see the fuel level. any suggestions?

LSXfan
10-09-2008, 09:40 AM
get a sender matched to the input of the guage, i.e. I will be using a 65Chevelle sender,0-90 ohms, for the 0-90 ohm Autometer fuel level guage

Pro X
10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I just replaced my guages in my car. My fuel float I know is not reading correctly. Which sender/float works best when swaping stock guages with aftermarket ones. I know putting a new float is going to be a pain too. :scared: calibration etc...

Thanks

70 chevelle

SSG DWhat brand of gauges did you use? Stock GM sending unit is 0 (empty) - 90 (full). If you used a 0-90 ohm gauge it will read correctly. If you didnt you need to get a 0-90 gauge. If you did I would check the ground wire off sending unit to varify it's grounded clean. Does level fluctuate? If it does tank float is probably fine. Next I'd get under the dash and remove the wire that goes to the gauge and take ohm reading. Is it appropriate for how much fuel you have in tank?(0-E 90-F) Reassemble dash and drop tank. Now remove the wire at the sending unit and take ohm reading. Have connection of the ohm meter connected to the frame to varify you have good ground. Does it read appropriately?(It'll read a little lower resistance because of parasitic loss to wire and connections in body harness; but will be close to readings at dash) Unfortunately if problem is between sender and dash you'll have to find bad spot in harness. This will help you track problem area and pinpoint its location. Dont forget coil in sender could be bad also so you may want to replace sender while tank is down. Sender is $50 from NPD.