PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump advice.

rohrt
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm in the market for a new power steering pump for my 68 Bird. I want it to look stock under the hood so nothing exotic. I have a steering box that was rebuilt by Lee with the quick ratio gears. The car is intended for spirited cruising and not road racing.

I see that my local AutoZone has a AGR pump for $146 or would I be better off getting the cheap Atsco unit for $55 since I will be mostly cruising.

I might have some old PS units sitting around that I could use also. Is there any modification to be made to a stock unit to consider.

Thanks

rohrt
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
No opinions on Power Steering pumps????????

GBodyGMachine
09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I run a stock cheapy pump from Murrays. Dont see the need to spend the extra money. Comes with a 1 Year replacement warrenty too.

rohrt
09-03-2008, 08:33 AM
On the AGR web site it says the pump is matched to the 12:1 steering box(like mine). I'm wondering if their is any difference in the feel or function over a stock unit or if the AGR unit is just built better.

GBodyGMachine
09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
That I cant answer

CarlC
09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
The only things they are likely to tune is the output pressure and the pump sleeve. You should check with AGR if the pump you are considering is appropriate for the modifications Lee made to the box.

A standard-stock-rebuilt-lifetime warranty pump would likely work fine. If you want to go a bit more high-tech you may want to consider having Lee's rebuild your pump to match the box he built.

rohrt
09-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the advice I didn't know Lee re-built pumps.

HWYSTR
09-05-2008, 05:26 AM
The power steering pumps with the old style resivior used to be available through NAPA, CARDONE # 206117 . The last time I ordered one, just a couple weeks ago, it came with a later style housing. Since I was doing it as a spare, I took it back. Anyone know if they're still available, and if what I got was a fluke/mistake?

Yes, only the output pressure is different, and the spring/plunger info is available from Lee and AGR (as I recall).

What I'd really like to do is use a type II pump on a Pontiac! Anyone done that?

79T/Aman
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
QUOTE: What I'd really like to do is use a type II pump on a Pontiac! Anyone done that?
working on that as we speak ;)

HWYSTR
09-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Work faster! Heh-heh!

HWYSTR455/-Mike