PDA

View Full Version : Should I remove my inner fenders?

streetk14
02-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I've been throwing around the idea of completly removing the front inner fenders on my 68 Camaro. I am going to have the front sheet metal off to install my new WD subframe and vette suspension. Is this a bad idea? My main reason for wanting to remove them would be to increase wheel/tire clearance. I guess it would also be kinda cool to be able to see the ceramic coated suspension parts, which look amazing. The only con that I see would be that the engine compartment would get dirty from road grime and such. My car is mainly a street car and doesn't get driven in the rain (on purpose anyways). So, is this a stupid idea?
Andy

socalfandabodys
02-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I personally wouldnt do it. It looks kind of cheesy when people run no inner fenders. Also If you ever hit something on the road you wouldnt want it flying into the engine compartment tire,wood,tar etc. Also the inner fender provide structure in the whole front end of a car.Just my opinion.

MrQuick
02-19-2005, 05:22 PM
If you really need to have more room for tires it would be worth it BUT you can make , have made or modify the stock ones to accomidate larger tires. You can make an inner structure with fender to frame supports cause as stated by Socal it does gige the front end and fenders support.
I noticed small stress cracks in paint on the fender my Camaro after about a year of hard driving with out the inner wells.
If its just for looks i'd leave them in and chrome them...im kidding :pat:

F70t/a
02-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Do fiberglass inner fenders provide structure? In high school i took mine off to make the car light :firefire: anyways i would drive the car in the rain and i ended up getting a short. I like the look without if it's done right :drool:

jeffandre
02-19-2005, 06:39 PM
I had glass inners back in the 80's, did not provide much support for anything but heater hoses IMO. If I go with full glass front end, I will get glass inners again. I actually traded the old glass inners for a complete 70-73 standard front clip many years ago (fenders, hood, inners, brackets, grill, rad support, etc.).

streetk14
02-19-2005, 08:10 PM
The structural rigidity thing did cross my mind. It does seem that without them the fender may not be supported properly. Maybe I'll just modify the inner fenders to clear the corvette control arms & then get them powdercoated for durability. Does anyone here have any pics of their engine bay without the inner fenders?
Andy