PDA

View Full Version : Biggest disc brakes for American racing 15 inches.

zoomingz28
08-30-2008, 01:17 AM
I want to convert my 73 camaro to a rear disc brake system and to improve the standard front disc setup, but also wants to keep it looking as original as posible from the outside.
I would like to use 15 inches AR Torque thrust, but it seems only 11" disc can be installed.
Does anybody know if there is a bigger kit which will fit into 15" rims?
I have tried AR to send me inner dimensions of his wheels, but without success.
Thank you all for your help.

PT Goat
08-30-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm running a Baer serious street kit with no problems on 15" wheels, but that's no guarantee that they'll work on the ARs. If it were me, I'd print the template from the Baer site and bring it to a local wheel shop. They've got to have a 15"er in stock that they'd let you see if you say you're thinking about ordering. Good luck.

SHANE 73Z
08-30-2008, 07:31 AM
For teh front, you could do the "B-body swap". This is a spindle swap to a HD 12" rotor Caprice wagon/cop car spindle. Then you use 3rd gen Camaro 1LE package 12" rotors to get the correct bolt circle. (The 12" wagon rotors have 5 on 5" circle) You can reuse the stock calipers or any aftermarket D52 caliper upgrade. This should fit in an aftermarket 15" wheel just fine.

This is a common swap for second gens. Do a search for the words above here & on www.nastyz28.com (http://www.nastyz28.com) for more info.

Shane

zoomingz28
08-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Matt, I thought of something bigger, but maybe I´m just thinking of something phisically impossible, thank anyway.
Shane, I got a picture on http://motorhead.iwarp.com/transslam/handle.html which shows the assembly installed into a 15 inch wheel, and it looks pretty tight to me.
Maybe the way to go is straight for the 16 inch wheel.
I looked Baer and the look very good but a bit expensive, so I am considering Wilwood.
A 12.19 rotor may be more than enough for the car btu I am not sure about the rotor thickness.
Is it 0.81?
I live in Spain, so trying to find B body spindles and the like on scrap yards is just not possible, as GM never sell those cars in Europe.
Everything must come in a complete kit if I want to make it right at once.