PDA

View Full Version : New Pypes!!

Bishop73
08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Going to install my new exhaust after work. My current exhaust is horrible, was that way when I bought the car, and needs to be replaced.

So after alot of research on sound (mainly) I decided on the 3" Pypes x-pipe and 3" Violators. I'll be dumping them before the rearend so I don't have to custom bend tailpipes.

I'll try and get a little video up tomorrow, didn't bring the camera with me to get one of the old setup.

SatisTraction
08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
i hope you have some ear muffs :)

Mark68
08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I just got done installing my 2 1/2" Pypes set-up with x-pipe and violator mufflers on my '68 RS/SS. You want to talk about a mean sounding system. You're going to love it!! Let me know how you make out.

Mark

Bishop73
08-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Ahh, what a night. So I had called a local muffler shop for a quick estimate to weld everything up. With the number of welds needed it was going to be about $360 ish, and with that being more than I paid for the system I decided to try something else.

I call a buddy who's dad has a few hotrods and does a bit of welding at his shop. Buddy tells me yeah, take it out to him and he'll set you up, I say great and drive 45 miles to his shop after work.

We cut out the ratty, barely hanging together exhaust and start fitting up the new one. We get everything measured up and start mocking it up, the dad tells me, "Well, I'm just going to tack everything cause I'm not a great welder and don't want to mess anything up." Great.........so I'm going to have to take it to a shop anyway........after a few minutes he then says "Hell, this is stainless, I can't weld this."

I'm frustrated beyond belief at this point, at him for not realizing this before we cut out the old one, and at me for not telling my friend it was stainless in the first place. It's also costing me about 80 miles in gas, not cheap in a 468.

Well, at this point my only option is to use the clamps that came with the kit and hold it together till I get home. Huh, there are only 4 clamps and I need at least 8, 10 to hang the mufflers. This is a very small town we're in and no way to get anymore clamps tonight. So I made the executive decision to clamp the collector to the front pipes of the x-pipe and the pipes to the front of the x-pipe. So I drove home 35 miles with nothing but my new x-pipe and surprisingly..........it's quieter than my old crappy Flows that were there.

Guess I'm making a few calls tomorrow to find a reasonable price on welding up the new system. Eh, you live and learn I suppose. Sorry for the novel.

mongoose
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
you can weld stainless with a mig...... easier if you change over to argon? and stainless wire... but can be done with steel and co2...

easy easy... just find someone with a welder.... i'd do it for ya for a case of beer... if you were near me.

Bishop73
08-29-2008, 04:25 AM
I figured it could be done, but I don't know enough about welding to say anything. I've got another friend that knows welding, I'll see if he's busy this weekend if the shop that did my truck is too expensive.

jrb56
08-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Give me a call or email - I will give you Jays number, he can weld them up, just one more trip to Austin...

Are they loud?

Bishop73
08-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey Joe, I'll give you a call. Although I'm trying to have them finished up today so I can go to the Biff's cruise in. They are actually quieter at idle then the old setup. I drove to work today on 35 and at 70+ in 5th they were quieter as well. It still sounds pretty mean though. I am hoping that it's not too tame when I put on the mufflers.

jrb56
08-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Sent you an email - but you are still welcome to call

Bishop73
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, being the impatient ******* I am I checked with my local shop. He welded everything up and included dumps and only charged me $85, so I'm happy about that.

So far.........I don't feel very Violated by my Violators. I think they sound good, but I'm not blown away by them at all. Maybe after I put a few miles on them they'll sound more aggressive, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll have a video posted later tonight.

Bishop73
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Okay, short video on my digital camera. Pay no attention to the messy garage or the dork (me) walking in the video, or the neighbor weedeating.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/th_MOV01675-1.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/rbanks11/?action=view&current=MOV01675.flv)

Motown 454
08-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds good how is it under acceleration? is it real loud?

Bishop73
08-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Actually it's not real loud under acceleration or at any other time. I'd be lying if i said I wasn't disappointed in the sound of this setup. I thought that it would be a very aggressive, very loud when you got on it exhaust. Well I'm here to tell you that it isn't. I'll try to pop up a vid of me actually driving the car but I can't promise anything.

67camaro972
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
i feel your pain, i bought the pypes 3 inch system w/Violators. Clamped it all together before i sealed the deal and welded it completely up. Took me starting it up about 3 times and listing to it and i was on the phone ordering flowmaster super 44's from Jegs. Dont get me wrong, the pypes system and x pipe are phamional, i even got it to fit on my mini-tubed car w/slight modifications. tucked up right tight and looks good. Fell in love w/the violator muffler sound off videos and hearing it on computer speakers.. Was chasing that kinda top fuel funny car/dragster sound.. Thought pypes was right on the money.. Kinda different in Person. The sound just didnt tweak my fancy just right. Some thou love the sound, guess to each his own. Im still not happy w/the way the flows sound right now eithor thou. Jr/.

JcGc
09-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Here is a link to my exhaust video. Flowmaster american thunder with super 44's

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/jcgc_photos/?action=view&current=100_0015.flv

GBodyGMachine
09-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Holy Holley Fuel Pump Batman.

Your Neighbor Eats Weeds?

SatisTraction
09-12-2008, 09:31 AM
here is my 2 1/2" pypes race muffler in the factory style exhaust. ls1

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/th_100_0848-1.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/LuvNStarGazn/camaro/?action=view&current=100_0848.flv)

Motown 454
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
SatisTraction: How does it sound idling and at cruise speed? Is it loud in the cabin at cruise? Thanks Sounds good

SatisTraction
09-12-2008, 04:03 PM
it is fine driving. a little drone in 6th at 1700 rpm.

here is my 1st start up. it idles better now.

edit
this was open headers. i will find an idle clip with the exhaust in place.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/th_100_0656-1.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/LuvNStarGazn/camaro/?action=view&current=100_0656.flv)

Bishop73
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
They sound great on your car Satis.

whytry
09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
so do you still have the Violators on your car? Have you grown into liking them more or still not that happy?

For what it's worth, it sounds pretty good @ idle to me. Not to raspy, pretty choppy...... What were you looking for? High compression, and big lopey cam sound?

SatisTraction
09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
They sound great on your car Satis.

thanks. i like it.

Curley
09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't know if this will help but here is a clip of my 383 with Thorley headers, full 2.5 pipes out the rear, H pipe with Flo-pro exhaust. I personally was unaware of Flo-pro, but my exhaust guy suggested them. Nice at idle and they get really loud under acceleration. I like them and they don't drone at highway speed.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/th_Camaro098-1.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/curley150/?action=view&current=Camaro098.flv)

9t8z28
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Sounds great!

Bishop73
09-26-2008, 01:33 PM
so do you still have the Violators on your car? Have you grown into liking them more or still not that happy?

For what it's worth, it sounds pretty good @ idle to me. Not to raspy, pretty choppy...... What were you looking for? High compression, and big lopey cam sound?

I've still got them on and they are growing on me. My problem was I had them talked up as being extremely aggressive and loud, basically what I was after. But they were much quieter than the straight dual Flows I had, but I guess the x-pipe plays alot into that.

I figure I'll give them 6 months or so of good driving before I decide to start looking for something new.

impalatpi66
10-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I had flowmaster super 40's on my Impala with a 350, and it was loud. I liked the super 40's for a couple of months, but then it got really annoying when i couldnt hear the person sitting next to me. I switched to magnaflows, and they are very quiet. @ 65 mph compared to the super 40's its a night and day difference. I can finally have a normal conversion now that i have magnaflows on my car.

TnBlkC230WZ
10-30-2008, 11:28 AM
So I made the executive decision to clamp the collector to the front pipes of the x-pipe and the pipes to the front of the x-pipe. So I drove home 35 miles with nothing but my new x-pipe and surprisingly..........it's quieter than my old crappy Flows that were there.

This is good news. I need to get mine quiet