PDA

View Full Version : Ap Sc400

nicks67camaro
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Okay I saw these calipers online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I found one thread that they were mentioned.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42149&highlight=sc400

The price look reasonable
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=5424

1. I would like to use them on a "stock disc" spindle for 1967 camaro.
2. I want to upgrade down the road to an AFX spindle can the tranision be made with.
3. Rotors will a corvette rotor that is 1.25"thick work as long as the caliper is spaced corectly.
4. Hydroboost freindly.

Am I way off base on this?

Thanks in advance
Nick

DEIGuy38
08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Talk to Tyler at ATS, he sells the AFX spindles and AP brakes. He should be able to answer your questions and get you prices.

Guy

Tyler Beauregard
08-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Okay I saw these calipers online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I found one thread that they were mentioned.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42149&highlight=sc400

The price look reasonable
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=5424

1. I would like to use them on a "stock disc" spindle for 1967 camaro.
2. I want to upgrade down the road to an AFX spindle can the tranision be made with.
3. Rotors will a corvette rotor that is 1.25"thick work as long as the caliper is spaced corectly.
4. Hydroboost freindly.

Am I way off base on this?

Thanks in advance
Nick

1. You need to get a Kore3 or Touring-Classics C5 brake bracket and hub kit for a factory 67-69 F body spindle. You can then bolt up any C5 based system, and then upgrade to our AFX spindle later.
2. If you base your brakes off a C5 with a factory spindle, the system will then transfer over to the AFX spindle. Your main issue is that you will need to make a mount to get the caliper onto the C5 brackets and space it properly on the rotor. There are no off the shelf parts for this particular variant of AP's caliper line that will bolt to a C5 or equivelent based spindle setup.
3. Yes. You can use any C5 based rotor that is 1.25" thick. Since you need to have the radial mount for the caliper made, you can choose the rotor diameter up to a certain point.
4. All brake systems are Hydroboost friendly when matched with the proper master cylinder and related systems.

It can be done.

Tyler

nicks67camaro
08-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Thanks Tyler!
How is the clearence on these calipers. Are they similar to the C5/6 where they need the .78 clearance?

You don't think making a bracket for a bracket will cause any unwanted flexing?

You mention this caliper line. Is there a 4 piston line that has c5-c6
capatability?

Do you think I should just follow everyone else and go c5/c6 2 pistion calipers?

I believe my freinds SK Mod runs these I can steal some for mock up.....

TitoJones
08-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks Tyler!
How is the clearence on these calipers. Are they similar to the C5/6 where they need the .78 clearance?

You don't think making a bracket for a bracket will cause any unwanted flexing?

You mention this caliper line. Is there a 4 piston line that has c5-c6
capatability?

Do you think I should just follow everyone else and go c5/c6 2 pistion calipers?

I believe my freinds SK Mod runs these I can steal some for mock up.....

I would think that the 4 piston AP caliper would need more clearance than a standard C5 caliper will by quite a bit.

Think of it this way- Most 4/6/8 piston calipers are radial mounted which in turn bolt to the brake bracket that is either bolted to the spindle (as it will be in a stock F body spindle application) or to the integral brake bracket like it is on a C5 or AFX spindle. The mount for the caliper should be plenty stiff and shouldn't flex at all if made correctly.

The only 4 piston caliper from AP that is off the shelf for a C5 is the rear kit with the 1600 series of calipers. The front is a 6 piston version, but is also $3600 all said and done. Well worth the money though.

Do I think you should follow the herd? Not really. Think for yourself and decide if you have the skills to make your idea a reality. If nobody ever pushed the envelope, we wouldn't have cool new parts to drool over.

Tyler

nicks67camaro
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have some homework to do but I think can get a caliper for mock up and not have to absorb the cost to buy one caliper just do my R+D with it. I'll see where this take me.

Nick