PDA

View Full Version : Body cart/jig

makoshark
08-20-2004, 09:13 PM
I need to build a body/suspension cart/jig for my 69 camaro. I have to put new frame rails on it as well as completely replace the entire back half of the car. I have a 67 camaro that is straight that I can get all the measurements from. What my question basically is? How small of square tubing can I get away with? I would like to be able to use as small of tubing as possible, but with that said, it is a jig so I don`t want it to move around on me. So what would be a suitable size?

Matt@RFR
08-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Honestly, I'm really not following what you're trying to build (What's a suspension cart??). Got a sketch or drawing? It sounds more like you need to build a rotisserie first and foremost. However, a rotisserie wouldn't make a very good jig, unless you wanted to build the heaviest rotisserie in the history of man.

Now, if you have a car on a rotisserie, you are NOT going to want to cut anything structural from the car. It'll fold up in ways you couldn't imagine. That's actually just an educated guess, since the only time I've cut a car apart like that was to full frame it anyway.

What you should probably do before you cut framerails out is to put temporary frame rails in. Stitch weld and make sure they aren't going anywhere before you start cutting. Brace the car perpendicularly also. The more you brace, the closer it'll be when it goes back together.

Now, as far as backhalving the car, normally you don't use much bracing, and no jigs since you should have all kinds of round tubing going all over the place (cage), which acts as a jig all by itself. Just tack everything up really well before you start to weld.

Minimum size square tube for a rotisserie? Depends on what your design is and how much bracing/gusseting you want to do...but 2x2x.120 is probably a good start. Again, that all depends!

MrQuick
08-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey guys,Matt, I think he means a body cart.Just something he can build to keep the car body from bending or twisting. A jig will have to be very sturdy.But may not be required. A cart will work, i've built convertible on a rigged cart made of 1 3/4" square tube with no issues.You can use 2" .120 as Matt described but a doubled up 2" .083 wall should do fine, usually the difference in cost is the reason for using the .083 wall stuff. I would brace the rear just for good measure. heres some pictures from the Nova build featured on dream car garage. C-yaaa Vince

makoshark
08-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I already have a rotisserie that I built myself to aid in the restoration of my 67 camaro. While I have my 67 on this rotisserie, I am going to build the body cart/jig for the 69 camaro. The 69 was hit in the rear and it buckled the frame rails, quarter panels and mangled the rear tail pan. The trunk pan was bent up pretty well too. It`s ashame because the trunk pan has no rust. The rocker panels are a bit tweaked as well. The floor pans are rotten so a new full floor will be in order there. I will have to build a body cart that will help me properly locate all the body points, rear suspension points and as well as attach to the front and rear of the pinchweld on the rocker panels. I`m not inexperienced in body work. I just have never had to build a body cart that has to help me locate certain points of the car. I want to be able to get away with the smallest size square tubing as possible, but still be stiff enough and safe enough to work around. The larger tube stuff will more than likely be in my way. I have 2.5 and 2" tubing on my rotisserie
By the way, you may not be able to do stuff like rockers and quarters on a rotisserie, but you can definately do things like floors and dash on one. I did my 67 that way and nothing moved a millimeter. It is a coupe though and the 69 is as well. Thanks for the help thus far guys

MrQuick
08-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Do you have pictures? Another thing I wanted to add was that you can build a cart or frame with removable up rights that you can adjust for reinstalling the sheet metal and frame rails. Something to think about. Vince

Matt@RFR
08-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Well, I've never done anything like that, so hopefully Vince and others can guide you.

astroracer
08-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Here is a link to a set of drawings I did for my Chassis Jig Tables.
http://hotrodders.com/forums/journal.php?action=view&journalid=15352&page=5&perpage=5&reverse=
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/08/10904940462-1.jpg
Materials lists, the works. Look through all of the pages as there are a number of construction pics along with the drawings. There is also a set of drawings for my Spindle Fixtures. Let me know if this is what you need.
Mark

makoshark
08-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Vince, what kind of pictures do you want? I have a digital camera, but haven`t loaded any pictures in my computer. I can post some of my 67 up on the rotisserie if that is what you`d like to see. The removable points is a good idea. I didn`t think of that
Astro, that stand looks very sturdy, but a little too much for a camaro body, especially for what I`m trying to do.

72novadriver
08-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Here is a pic of what I made. I used 1 1/2 "x 1 1/2" x 1/8" and it seemed to work pretty good, but next time I may go a little bigger for the main part of the frame maybe some 2" x 2"

Billy

http://66.70.234.198/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=232&stc=1

PT Dave
09-12-2004, 08:06 AM
I've actually built a "chassis" fixture/cart just for this purpose of removing and reinstalling sheetmetal and doing sub-frame work. I was going to just cut-out items until I saw an installment of Dream Car Gararge. They recommended that you build one of these first (even in your own garage) before attempting any body mods. They showed what was involved in making one of these fixtures/carts, which they used on their Goodmark Nova Project. It's really worked out great !
If you need any info., send me a message.

Dave

TRILOGYZ28
09-12-2004, 08:13 AM
a jig like this i bet, just a little less bulky.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

another.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

PT Dave
09-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Yup, this is "exactly" what I've built !!
...and it was really easy to constuct.
Plus you can roll it around easily too.

F70t/a
09-13-2004, 09:38 AM
How much does to cost to build a jig like that?

PT Dave
09-13-2004, 11:38 AM
My Chassis Fixture (based on the one shown above) cost me "roughly" $300, in materials. This price doesn't include the 6" wheels. If anyone is interested, I can send you info.

OHCbird
09-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Would you please? I'd appreciate it...

PT Dave
09-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Shoot me an e-mail and then we can talk !!

PT Dave
09-27-2004, 08:13 PM
This is really helpful !